L3 brakes vs L1 brakes

Jza

Registered
My dealers offering me a good price on an L3 with the Brembo Brakes.. and will swap all my mods on the L1 over to the L3 as part of the deal.

Are the brakes worth the upgrade? Anyone ridden both?

Jza

Haven't ridden the new one but I'd have to assume Brembos with abs has to be better than Tokicos and no abs?
No? :)

My dealers offering me a good price on an L3 with the Brembo Brakes.. and will swap all my mods on the L1 over to the L3 as part of the deal.

Are the brakes worth the upgrade? Anyone ridden both?

Jza

No!

Unless you are road racing where you have heat to deal with, the answer is "NO"!

The only thing you will gain with Brembo brakes is feel. It's like adding power brakes to your truck equipped with vaccum brakes. And, you are much more apt to lock the front wheel and skin your noggin with brembo brakes.

And, whatever you do don't install brembo brakes and attach them to a 10 thousand mile Michelin Pilot Road tire. You are signing up for "Trouble"!

So Tuf why would Suzuki equip their NEW model with Brembos and Abs, yes abs so you can't lock front wheel, if it were as you say and pointless with no benefit?

This is one reason though why I haven't upgraded rotors or calipers.
I do think there is some engineering leeway involved and Suzi doesn't want front to grab too much and possibly lock up. But with the abs and Brembos the bike would be better? No?

I am but a grasshopper asking a Shinko Master so forgive me. :laugh:

So Tuf why would Suzuki equip their NEW model with Brembos and Abs, yes abs so you can't lock front wheel, if it were as you say and pointless with no benefit?

This is one reason though why I haven't upgraded rotors or calipers.
I do think there is some engineering leeway involved and Suzi doesn't want front to grab too much and possibly lock up. But with the abs and Brembos the bike would be better? No?

I am but a grasshopper asking a Shinko Master so forgive me. :laugh:

Yes young grasshopper, this road to skills is long and treacherous. Skill cannot be purchased, it must be earned!

The boys at Suzuki are not completely illiterate when it comes to building motorcycles! They are doing their best to keep YOU upright so you can buy another bike one day. Just because you see "Brembo" on the brake caliper of a factory bike doesn't mean they are race quality brakes. No different than Ohlins forks or steering dampers. If it comes stock on an OEM bike then it's built to OEM specs which in most cases is not even close to aftermarket. Brembo makes a wide range of brake applications. The very last thing I would do is have a dealer decide what master cylinder/caliper combination to install on a bike.

The busa brakes work just fine for street riding. You can lift the rear tire off the pavement with OEM brakes. No problem. Can you use any more brake with the bike on the nose tire? I have yet to meet a street rider that could brake effectively. Put them on aggressive brakes and their braking ability goes down hill, not up.

I'm not knocking Brembo whatsoever, great product but not cheap. The OP ask if the results was worth the cost. In my view, NO! As well, the end results will not increase neither you nor the OP's braking skills.

The thing that really makes me want to put a dunce hat on a rider and stand him in the corner facing the wall is to see Brembo on the caliper and a Michelin Pilot Road or equilivent front tire.

I put Brembo stickers on my 14 year old calipers
Bike stops much better now and produced an extra 30 hp on the dyno

Dymagfrontonbike_zps90e35563.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather just get a set of GSXR 1000 L2 calipers if i wanted a brembo label....would they work or feel better...no idea and these are built to Suzuki specs so might not be as good as aftermarket stuff.
The ABS setup could well soften the feel as its only got 1 setting...ON...many new bikes have an adjustable system with multiple settings including OFF, i've had 3 bikes with ABS and only once did it cut in...they are also a pain to change the fluid due to all the extra plumbing.

Would i change a bike just for new brakes......NO

Has anyone actually ridden both who can post an opinion based on fact please?

Jza

+1000
Yes young grasshopper, this road to skills is long and treacherous. Skill cannot be purchased, it must be earned!

The boys at Suzuki are not completely illiterate when it comes to building motorcycles! They are doing their best to keep YOU upright so you can buy another bike one day. Just because you see "Brembo" on the brake caliper of a factory bike doesn't mean they are race quality brakes. No different than Ohlins forks or steering dampers. If it comes stock on an OEM bike then it's built to OEM specs which in most cases is not even close to aftermarket. Brembo makes a wide range of brake applications. The very last thing I would do is have a dealer decide what master cylinder/caliper combination to install on a bike.

The busa brakes work just fine for street riding. You can lift the rear tire off the pavement with OEM brakes. No problem. Can you use any more brake with the bike on the nose tire? I have yet to meet a street rider that could brake effectively. Put them on aggressive brakes and their braking ability goes down hill, not up.

I'm not knocking Brembo whatsoever, great product but not cheap. The OP ask if the results was worth the cost. In my view, NO! As well, the end results will not increase neither you nor the OP's braking skills.

The thing that really makes me want to put a dunce hat on a rider and stand him in the corner facing the wall is to see Brembo on the caliper and a Michelin Pilot Road or equilivent front tire.

Has anyone actually ridden both who can post an opinion based on fact please?

Jza

Just because a rider has thrown a leg over a bike with Brembo brakes doesn't make them an authority on braking! Posing a question such as this on the internet asking for facts is like asking your mother which came first "The chicken or the egg".

Just because a rider has thrown a leg over a bike with Brembo brakes doesn't make them an authority on braking! Posing a question such as this on the internet asking for facts is like asking your mother which came first "The chicken or the egg".

Its only a chicken and egg question when there are people like you trolling the forums LOL

I'm not asking if there are any authorities on braking who have ridden both... im asking for real people who have ridden both bikes to see what there opinions are. Simples.

They dont have to be some track instructor to tell me what they think!!

I dont get you at all mate. If you dont like people asking for honest opinions on this forum, or dont like the fact that people dare to ask for feedback on things.. why dont you just f~*k off somewhere else? :moon:

Jza

I rode the GSXR 1000 L2 with brembo's and the hype is wasted on the road.....i had a K7 a few years back and its brakes felt every bit as capable as the L2 Brembos.

I can't see anything but pad material being that much different.....the caliper principle is the same and the master cylinder hasn't changed...the bigger caliper pistons just mean a higher fluid volume so will take a little bit longer to boil when doing trackdays.

Back