Koi suicide

Getn off

Registered
A very sad day here before xmas. Well, a tiny but of sarcasm. I am a pet lover, but I really dont consider koi on the same level as my dog. My friends wife lost a lion fish in their salt aquarium and cried for days. Diff strokes...
Anywho.
Yesterday my wife calls me and tells me one of our koi jumped out of the pond and landed on our tile floor. When she found her in the morning, the fish was cold and stiff. Kinda sux as this was our third largest...about 14-16". They do get expensive the larger they get. Our biggest is about 18". This particular one was a white one about 3 years old.
Not sure why they jump out. Have had this happen twice before actually.
We have two koi ponds in our foyer. They are about 4' x 4'
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

cubed. Originally they were planters, but I sealed them up and painted them and made them koi ponds. Great conversation pieces for sure.
Anyone here have koi ponds?
Troy

Got a pond with turtles , 8 altogether , 6 long neck and 2 short neck I kept for my one of my egg batches . I have had one of them for 40 years now , and she was already grown ( rescued ) when I got her . The pic is her , named Tom , before I knew she was a she !! The other pic is when I can catch any that get in the way while I clean out the pond .
IMG_20181220_140152.jpg

IMG_20181201_102711.jpg

Got a pond with turtles , 8 altogether , 6 long neck and 2 short neck I kept for my one of my egg batches . I have had one of them for 40 years now , and she was already grown ( rescued ) when I got her . The pic is her , named Tom , before I knew she was a she !! The other pic is when I can catch any that get in the way while I clean out the pond .View attachment 1590244

View attachment 1590245

Nice. Camped in SW Florida a month ago and there were tons of long neck turtles!
Troy
image.jpeg

Many of my customers do in atrium buildings . Very relaxing , and your set up looks great . Maybe sick or a Koi fight ? Or a fish hold my beer n watch this moment ?

Hahaha! Would like to believe it all started with, "hold my beer, watch this..." We have heard some commotion while watching tv and turned out to be a koi that has jumped out. We simply pick them up and put back in. Hmmm. Gotta wonder if it was the same one? I cant recall. We have (had) 2 white ones.
It is relaxing. We have a fountain in each one, but usually disable that function to bypass and give the fish more water movement instead...they seem to like it.
Troy

A very sad day here before xmas. Well, a tiny but of sarcasm. I am a pet lover, but I really dont consider koi on the same level as my dog. My friends wife lost a lion fish in their salt aquarium and cried for days. Diff strokes...
Anywho.
Yesterday my wife calls me and tells me one of our koi jumped out of the pond and landed on our tile floor. When she found her in the morning, the fish was cold and stiff. Kinda sux as this was our third largest...about 14-16". They do get expensive the larger they get. Our biggest is about 18". This particular one was a white one about 3 years old.
We have two koi ponds in our foyer. They are about 4' x 4' View attachment 1590233

View attachment 1590234

View attachment 1590235

cubed. Originally they were planters, but I sealed them up and painted them and made them koi ponds. Great conversation pieces for sure.
Troy
Maybe you can find a nice, almost transparent mosquito net style mesh to make sure they don’t jump out? Something that would still look good and keep them in? Other than that, all I can think about is antidepressant pills. :hide:

Last edited:
Anywho.
We have two koi ponds in our foyer. They are about 4' x 4' View attachment 1590233

View attachment 1590234

View attachment 1590235

Troy
If they are jumping you have parasites. Treat the tank. Chances are it's flukes.

Good to know. I was unaware of any issue. Not that they jump often. I think 3 times in the last 3 years that I know of anyway.
I will look into treating the tanks just in case.
Thanks!
Troy

Anywho.

View attachment 1590234

View attachment 1590235

Troy
Very nice home you have. Sorry to hear about your koi. If you lived closer I would offer a replacement. My dad has a Pool in his yard and we have not used it for years since my sibilings and I all moved out. Anyway there was an issue with mosquitos and someone recommended putting koi in there as I guess they eat the mosquito larvae, he now has some very large koi fish lol

Maybe you can find a nice, almost transparent mosquito net style mesh to make sure they don’t jump out? Something that would still look good and keep them in? Other than that, all I can think about is antidepressant pills. :hide:
But how do you get the Koi to take them consistently? :lol:

Back