Know anything about Micron Exhausts?

Keefer

Registered
I am looking at several different exhaust systems for my busa. Micron seems to have some good prices, but I have never seen any performance numbers on it. Does anyone know if Micron makes a good light weight race exhaust system for the busa? If so, where do you feel it the most? Mid range? Upper Range? Low range?

(Keefer @ Sep. 26 2006,07:26) Ok, why do you consider it junk?  Any performance figures to back that opinion up?
That is the problem they aren't performance made..JUNK

Ok, am not sure about what your refering too by performance made. I do not think any exhaust that is not designed specifically for the race track can be refered to as not performance made. As far as descriptions go, the description for Micron sounds no different from the description of Muzzy. They both say that add HP and have distinctive sounds. So again, what do you base your opinion on? Or is it just that? An opionion? I am looking for serious information and answers so I can base what exhaust I am going to spend my $1000 on.

(GoldenChild @ Sep. 26 2006,07:49)
(Keefer @ Sep. 26 2006,07:26) Ok, why do you consider it junk?  Any performance figures to back that opinion up?
That is the problem they aren't performance made..JUNK
trust GC..go with something else.

runeight..

Ok, what about Ti-Force?

And I really cannot trust someone saying its junk without providing a valid reason. Thats like saying Chevy trucks are junk. I happen to like Chevy and think they outperform Ford. Whats my proof to back my opinion? Every Ford 5.4 Triton I have raced with my 5.3 Silverado, I have beat the doors off them. Without that, I am just talking.

Exhaust systems are $1000 and up for good ones, and I do not have the money to spend on something on a whim, so I am trying to get actual numbers and valid advice so I can make up my mind on it.

Keefer ,

Get with Charles at Street and Track . The Micron does not have to cost 1k bucks .

It's a solid well built pipe that will go with most of them on stock engines to 168 -170hp and sounds deeper than most others by design. It is not built with the serpent header design though but does have a nice bolt together muffler made to go the distance .

The Titanium Force you asked about are great and since it sounds like you have a keeper ,you might think about that pipe " Sumo " or the *Akro Race or better yet , the way cool Akro Evolution .

* can help make around 215hp on a pump gas 1397 -ask Charles  
biggrin.gif

Thank you Mountain. I have considered the akro race, and think it is really a good pipe for me. Unfortunately I am not sure I can afford it. And I do not want to have to wait for several months to see if my cash flow straightens out and I will have the money for it then. Which is why I am looking into less expensive pipes. I have been back and forth with streetntrack on prices and such through PM's, and I will certainly use his services. Just have to get the money first :-) He also mentioned Ti-Force was a good pipe, so it may be an option. I really want something that will enhance my low and midrange, while not losing on top range.

Elton Fish's and Bill Hahn's dyno tuner Brian Wynn, told me that the Micron serpent system on the busa makes great power. I went with the Hindle Pro system with the carbon can for under $900. Micron's are very high quality too, visually they look better than my Hindle and Muzzy's.

Hello Keefer,

Microns don't offer the very top in performance (their headers tend to be on the slightly smaller diameter), but they are far from junk. Many are pleased with them and I have a friend who has had two full Micron systems on his bikes (one on his 99 CBR900 and one on his current 04 GSXR1000) and they always sounded very nice. Not too loud and with a deeper tone, as one would hope for.

If you're seeking top performance, then I feel it better to go with a Brock Gen3 StreetSmart (at just over 8 pounds for the entire weight of the exhaust system), then possibly a Muzzy or a Yosh RS-3. All are 4 into 1 exhaust systems.

I currently have an Akrapovic, but they are as quiet as a church mouse unless you modify their 60mm to 50mm conical shaped muffler core and replace its little 50mm pea-shooter end cap with a 60mm Tigcraft titanium end cap, as I have. Now it has a rumble and sounds like it should.

Here's a link to the Brock Gen 3 StreetSmart...

Heh Mountainmotor, thats pretty cool argument for micron :-)

I think I have decided I am going with a muzzy for the price, along with the PC3. As I mentioned, I am on a budget, and that will keep me within what I have to spend. Now I just gotta figure out how to put the damn thing on...lol. I hate messing with fairings.

Ok, I came up with the funds and will end up with the Brocks Gen 3 street smart. Thanks for all the advice guys :-)

Keefer,I never mention anything being junk unless it's just that,i could tell from your question you were looking to spend a decent amount of money on a pipe(and wanted something good).I said what i meant and stand behind it cause I sit on a dyno as I type this and know the pipe is junk cause I owned a Nice Busa with one on it,I may as well had brought a slipon...If you need any assistance with the brock system let me Know,I will take care of you...Remember we sell you service not just parts...Good Luck and Safe Riding...

Awesome choice, soon your bike will look like this! Make sure you trim 10mm off the right side of the bottom fairing or it will melt to the midpipe.

hayabusa1.JPG

(GoldenChild @ Sep. 28 2006,17:27) Keefer,I never mention anything being junk unless it's just that,i could tell from your question you were looking to spend a decent amount of money on a pipe(and wanted something good).I said what i meant and stand behind it cause I sit on a dyno as I type this and know the pipe is junk cause I owned a Nice Busa with one on it,I may as well had brought a slipon...If you need any assistance with the brock system let me Know,I will take care of you...Remember we sell you service not just parts...Good Luck and Safe Riding...
Daniel - Hey before I defend Micron, let me first say I respect your opinion, and everything you have done for me in the past...Top Notch!

Ok...First off...Micron and Yosh got a real bad name when the Busa came on the scene in 99-00 from what I've been told. Both Yosh and Micron made same poor numbers on the dyno....but.....Both Micron and Yosh have changed their pipes from their initial offereings many years ago. I dont know much more about Yosh, and I could have been given some wrong info about them...however Im 100% positive that Micron has changed their design from the 99-01 era of design - call and talk to Micron directly, its not a secret, unfortunately after initial dyno testing with the old micron pipe...people just said they stink. Im 800' above sea level, and with small airbox mod, pair valve, etc...I made a pull at 171 rwhp...Not bad for a bike theat Dynoed at 156 rwhp stock.

Ok, as far as build quality, Micron is excellent....makes HMF quality look like junk in my opinion. Sound is nice and deep...ask Batman....he was just as shocked as me that my Micron race exhaust was deeper sounding than his HMF Dual's. Header diam is a little smaller than some other brands, but the full race system still puts down some impressive numbers.

Anyhow, just my opinion....

Thanks black, thats a sharp looking ride you have there. I have never put on an exhaust system before so this should be fun. I got it ordered last night, along with the PC3 USB. Wish me luck in putting it on without screwing something up...lol.

Back