knee draggin

tinbender0

Cool Breeze
Donating Member
Registered
Is the busa capable of letting a rider getting their knee down without major suspension mods??? I'm not a track rider but I try to practice the style of riding (shifting body weight, hanging off occasionally, Etc.. ) I'm hoping to get to the twisties one day!

I was just wondering. I'm sick of hearing the Busa' is just a straight line bike . But heck, I can't even get completely rid of my dang chickenstrip....down to about a 1/4 inch on left side ....1/2 inch on right... Just don't know how far she'll go. No twisties here.. Any pointers??? I guess just go faster lean farther...lol
jump9.gif

You can drag knee on a 'busa. I know this pretty well.

Go to a trackday or something and learn from a professional. That's the best advice I can give you.

It isn't a question of whether the Busa is capable, but rather, is the rider?

You just don't know how many people around here say the Busa is just a straight line bike...Gonna keep this pic in my wallet ..LOL.. Even the dealership says it
SHOCKED.gif

(tinbender0 @ Oct. 17 2006,18:18) But heck, I can't even get completely rid of my dang chickenstrip....down to about a 1/4 inch on left side ....1/2 inch on right... Just don't know how far she'll go. No twisties here.. Any pointers??? I guess just go faster lean farther...lol
jump9.gif
You don't have to get rid of the chickenstrips to drag the knee. You just need to move your body off and down to lower the center of gravity. Hanging off is done to keep the bike more upright to keep better rubber contact. The taller you are the easier it will be too.

another question? Is it easier for a heavier person say 220lbs. or a 145lbs. road racer guy to manipulate the bike? Or does it matter? Giving the skill is the same.

What about the effects of a 1" lowered bike? Sorry guys,, for all the questions at once..
bowdown.gif

(tinbender0 @ Oct. 17 2006,18:53) What about the effects of a 1" lowered bike? Sorry guys,, for all the questions at once..
bowdown.gif
I know lowering the bike will make the fairing and stator cover touch faster
a lot of the canyon carvers here are actually going up an inch in the rear

Your dealer probably said that because compared to a GSXR1000/750 or 600 the Busa isn't exactly light on it's feet. It is over a hundred pounds heaver and much longer so the steering isn't nearly as quick. In the tight twisties it will give the rider a full workout. That extra hundred pounds is definitely noticed.
It is based off the old GSXR1100 which was raced on the track but needed long stretches to use it's power to compete. It would lose time in the tight turns to the lighter bikes with less power.

It is a torque monster that is a blast for us novices that works great on the street or in the twisties and can haul a full set of luggage getting there. It's just not going to compete at the higher levels of racing with the liter bikes.

I havent dragged knee yet, but I dont often look to keep the bike more upright as I've practiced getting the bike leaned over to the max angle. Stock suspension here as well. I was catching crap daily from friends about the chicken strips, even as much as I described the difference in a longer wheelbase not needing to lean as much as the shorter ones do for the same speed and radius corners....so a week ago or so a few of hit the usual riding route and I stuck to my buddies tail like glue. We got back to work the next day, and cool enough, he asked me how the heck I stuck with him in the corners? then he looked at the strips, they went down a little, but not much. I explained thats how I know I can get low enough to keep up and still not scrub the sides. My goal is to bead the tires edge though honestly. I just need to keep my mind on the matter at hand...nothing like breaking your oncentratin and looking down at the road in a decreasing radius right hander to throw your buttcheeks clenching the seat while trying to get back into your lane.

GL with the knee dragging.

I can drag a knee all day, anywhere anytime, now doing it on my bike, that is a different story. I look funny doing it without the bike tho.

all_coholic.gif

Back