Killer deal on BT016 at Chaparral: $190-$200/set, free shipping

Killer deal for old tires, is what it is. The 16's where replaced by the S20's well over a year ago.

Be interesting to see the date codes before you buy.

Killer deal for old tires, is what it is. The 16's where replaced by the S20's well over a year ago.

Be interesting to see the date codes before you buy.

True, but... I remember the time when BT014's were it, and it was THE TIRE at the time, then BT016 - lasted for a few years, and now there is something better. Putting it in perspective, the discontinued BT016 is probably on the same level as race tires just 10-15 years ago, maybe even better. As riders, we haven't change that much, and our development is far behind the tire development. So, I don't feel bad at all by getting such "outdated" tire.

Good point on date codes - will let you know. I expect it to be at least 1 year old, but see no problem with it.

Keep in mind that manufacturers ALWAYS create an impression that the new tire is so much better than the old one. They always use VAGUE terms in describing a new tire, however they NEVER provide quantitative measures. If every tire that came out during the past let's say 15 years was so much better than the previous one, the current tires would have pretty much unlimited traction for all practical purposes. The reality is this is not the case... because every new tire is only INCREMENTALLY better by... who knows? 1%, 3%, 5%.

The BTO16 is a very good tire. I shagged a number of 16's when they were the hot item. Far better tire than the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct in my view.

By the way IG, Bridgestone followed the BT014 with the BTO15 that was the OEM tire on the busa for a while, which was also a good tire as well.

As far as Date Codes go, most manufacturers guarantee their tires for six years after the date code. Bridgestone says to replace tires after ten years no matter what the condition. I had a Dunlop 207 tire with a date code of 2001 in my garage that had been kept in the garage since new. In 2012 I thought about tossing the tire. Instead, I mounted it on the rear of my GSXR1K and wore that puppy out with no issues. The 207 wasn't a great tire in 2001 and remained the same in 2012. My view on tires is if you aren't racing where a tenth of a second per lap means the difference in 1st & 2nd place don't get excited over a tires date code being less than six years old. Mount it, run it and have fun. I have Race Tires in my garage that Dunlop gave me in 2010 I'll be running this season with no worries whatsoever.

Thanks for clarifying Tuf. I think one reason BT015 escaped my attention because I am used to treating OEM tires as really poor performing ones, so I might've shrugged it off. IIRC BT56 OEM's I had were no match to BT014 at the time even at my level of riding. Money is tight, and I am just glad to save $50 or so on a set.

Talking about savings, our sponsor 'ToBeFast' just gave me a great deal on SS brake lines. I remembered you talking about brakes as the most important control on the bike, and this registered at the time. So, when I thought about what was absolutely necessary that I had to do besides the usual stuff - improving the feel/reliability of the brakes seemed like the right choice. Not to mention, it's time to replace the fluid and clean calipers anyway. Speed Bleeders that's been sitting around for some time on the shelf will replace stock bleed screws now. Always enjoy an effortless brake bleeding process.

I use these as track day tires for the Busa...they are a great sticky tire that I feel pretty comfortable with at a full lean on the Busa...Ill have to grab 2 sets of these to get me through this years track days...

What kind of mileage can you get on these?

Depending on how you ride, and how many track days. If only on the street, I'd say 3k - 5k miles depending on how aggressively you ride. If only on the track, 3-4 track days, but again depends on how you ride. For street/track combo, adjust accordingly.

Just got the tires. The front baked in early 2012, and the rear in mid 2013. I wish it was the other way around, but I think it's still OK.

I used a six year old metzler z6 rear I had in the garage and it was fine. Stuck great on the street. Chicken strip free. ;) Your bt 016 will be just like new.

cheers
ken

Yeah I'd take a 3 year old brand new tire any day compared to some of the tires I see guys riding on.... I mean honestly I've seen guys who will ride their tires down to the belt showing and they leave em sit outside parked rain, sun, etc.

Back