Kill switch mod

AsleepAtTheTree

Registered
Has anyone ever thought about using the factory kill switch circuit as a type of kill box by way of replacing the factory switch with a momentary "push to break" type button switch...wire it inline in a way that it works with an air shifter as when u "quickly tap" the button it kills the engine and simultaneously shifts and ignites again...the "quick tap" of the momentary "push to break" button acts as a release and engagement of the ignition circuit as such in a way as a kill box would do... Heard of a guy doing this to a dirtbike:beerchug:

:banana:

That would only kill the spark, maybe not the fuel. We are talking very short duration switching and you need different durations for different gears. Doing this at the kill switch seems more complicated actually to do correctly. I am assuming you are still thinking through the QS DIY right?

That would only kill the spark, maybe not the fuel. We are talking very short duration switching and you need different durations for different gears. Doing this at the kill switch seems more complicated actually to do correctly. I am assuming you are still thinking through the QS DIY right?

Not sure what "QS" means but defintely "DIY"

Definitely didnt think about shift duration tho
That's why I love this forum

I jus can't help but be a hotrodder at heart
Intuitive thinking is my thing, trail and error is the game, pain in the $$$ sometimes tho lol

You should read up on quick shifters (QS). Figure out how they work before trying to re-engineer it on a DIY basis. It's is more complicated than turning the motor off while you shift. There are even different things for different gears. You could make a robot to shift the shifter and pull the clutch, but that would be massively heavy and only marginally more efficient than manually shifting. This is why the auto transmissions coming out for motorcycles are not just robots shifting, they use things like double clutches. The goal is seamless power delivery and that involves some fairly high level control systems to be reliable.

Good luck to you, if you stay at it long enough you'll figure something out. Just remember DIY is not necessarily ITD (in the dark) fiddling.

A little fyi quick shifters are great for racing . Key word racing here . Each gear may need different millisecond changes from 75 ms to 50 ms . Also life expectancy of a trans used heavily in this fashion is never going to meet one that used the clutch to disengage . On a full out drag bike with cut gears many years/ seasons can be had . In the end though its only a few hundred miles total .
Road race bikes make a season or two before a failure .
Another thing a quick shifter can be set up to only shift @ a certain rpm .

$120 for a killbox why try.
This.
I realize that some people are drawn to "figuring stuff out' and like to do things in their own way. But.........if you can accomplish the goal with existing and affordable technology, why try and reinvent that particular thing? Use that drive elsewhere, on something that isn't affordable or already existing.

You should read up on quick shifters (QS). Figure out how they work before trying to re-engineer it on a DIY basis. It's is more complicated than turning the motor off while you shift. There are even different things for different gears. You could make a robot to shift the shifter and pull the clutch, but that would be massively heavy and only marginally more efficient than manually shifting. This is why the auto transmissions coming out for motorcycles are not just robots shifting, they use things like double clutches. The goal is seamless power delivery and that involves some fairly high level control systems to be reliable.

Good luck to you, if you stay at it long enough you'll figure something out. Just remember DIY is not necessarily ITD (in the dark) fiddling.

Great info fallenarch!!! Thank you:bowdown::beerchug:

A little fyi quick shifters are great for racing . Key word racing here . Each gear may need different millisecond changes from 75 ms to 50 ms . Also life expectancy of a trans used heavily in this fashion is never going to meet one that used the clutch to disengage . On a full out drag bike with cut gears many years/ seasons can be had . In the end though its only a few hundred miles total .
Road race bikes make a season or two before a failure .
Another thing a quick shifter can be set up to only shift @ a certain rpm .
Thank you c10 I swear its true u learn something everyday:bowdown::beerchug:

This.
I realize that some people are drawn to "figuring stuff out' and like to do things in their own way. But.........if you can accomplish the goal with existing and affordable technology, why try and reinvent that particular thing? Use that drive elsewhere, on something that isn't affordable or already existing.

Definetly can't argue with that

I jus like it the other way sometimes:super::banghead:

Back