Kickstand?

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered

Not sure what the advantages of removing the safety feature is but I do know quite a few people remove it. I am not even sure if this person did remove it, could be an older bike. Having committed this little lapse in memory myself I can testify to the fact that it really sucks :laugh:

What is the benefit to removing it maybe it's a track thing or something :dunno:

When i raced WERA you either A. had to remove the kick stand or B. have it safty wiered in the up possition for safty reasons

Its good to have the safety interlock for the kickstand in case the kickstand does come down while riding, it will shut down so you dont bite it in a corner.

Dang, I was cringing until the poor guy ate it. Don't know why anybody would want to mess with the killswitch???

BAD-BAD idea to remove the safety switch.

I actually took one apart, and you'd be surprised that it's not your average switch. The actual contacts are sealed inside a very small glass looking enclosure (I am guessing having a vacuum or having filled with one of inert gasses). And all of this is sealed with something looking like epoxy so nothing can even get close. The actuation of the swith occurs when the plunger is moved by the kickstand. The internal tip of the plunger has a magnet which interacts with magnet sensitive contacts inside that small glass enclosure, thus making them to close the circuit. As a result, the switch is very reliable. Any oil/humidity getting all over the switch won't degrade its operation.

BAD-BAD idea to remove the safety switch.

I actually took one apart, and you'd be surprised that it's not your average switch. The actual contacts are sealed inside a very small glass looking enclosure (I am guessing having a vacuum or having filled with one of inert gasses). And all of this is sealed with something looking like epoxy so nothing can even get close. The actuation of the swith occurs when the plunger is moved by the kickstand. The internal tip of the plunger has a magnet which interacts with magnet sensitive contacts inside that small glass enclosure, thus making them to close the circuit. As a result, the switch is very reliable. Any oil/humidity getting all over the switch won't degrade its operation.

awesome info, thank you for sharing :)

i have done that a dozen times on my older bikes, but never wiped out from it. most of the time the rubber stopper on the end would kick the stand up.

bummer of a mistake to make on the track. :down:

Sometimes i look at these new safety features and shake my head,but some make sense..when i was a kid all u needed was a seat and handlebars, and sometimes the seat wasnt much..lol..
I never had a kickstand fall down on me,plus the spring keeps it up..ya i seen people take off with the kickstand down especially on dirt bikes, but usually the kickstand will rub the ground and flip backup..unless u take a curve then it either flips backup or u hear it rub the ground and flip it up or wreck..

Back