kickstand mod

monsterspeedfreak

Donating Member
Registered
After all the falls Busas have taken due to the crappy stands...I was just wondering if we've all done the kickstand mod.
I'm doin mine tonight....startin to get scared.

I did it and Im still not comfortable letting her go ! I was lucky once and caught her but lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place .

I don't think that mod solves the problem we been having does it? i thought it allowed the bike to lean further over and not stand up straight so much. I solved that problem by buying that adjustable kickstand.

I was under the impression that the problem was with the stand folding back in if it wasn't far enough forward when down.
Someone at one point posted that their stand folded back up after it was down and holding the bike.......they then posted that the kickstand mod was to take a grinder and grind out a small notch near the top of the stand where it hits the stop, this would allow the stand to rest a little further forward before it hit the stop, thus the bike was not as likely to fall of the stand.
Someone else also posted at one point that the problem was significantly amplified if the bike was parked facing down a slight grade....which would make sense.

So.....I was going to notch my stand a hair and see how it works.

I was under the impression that the problem was with the stand folding back in if it wasn't far enough forward when down.
Someone at one point posted that their stand folded back up after it was down and holding the bike.......they then posted that the kickstand mod was to take a grinder and grind out a small notch near the top of the stand where it hits the stop, this would allow the stand to rest a little further forward before it hit the stop, thus the bike was not as likely to fall of the stand.
Someone else also posted at one point that the problem was significantly amplified if the bike was parked facing down a slight grade....which would make sense.

This is true... It makes it harder to collapse if it isn't "exactly" all of the way opened... However, it won't do diddly if you forget to put it down at all. DUR!

Also, I think most people do this mod so that the bike has less chance to fall while parked facing down hill some. I find that If I leave the bike in gear and then let it roll until tranny catches, this isn't a problem though.

I try never to park facing down hill. Even if you are careful and leave it in gear there's always some bozo that could come by and squeeze the clutch lever. Then you come back and your bike is laying on the ground. I think most problems are with people not taking the time to make sure that they are on solid and level ground and that the stand is all the way down.

I try never to park facing down hill. Even if you are careful and leave it in gear there's always some bozo that could come by and squeeze the clutch lever. Then you come back and your bike is laying on the ground. I think most problems are with people not taking the time to make sure that they are on solid and level ground and that the stand is all the way down.
True

This is true...  It makes it harder to collapse if it isn't "exactly" all of the way opened...  However, it won't do diddly if you forget to put it down at all.  DUR!

Also, I think most people do this mod so that the bike has less chance to fall while parked facing down hill some.  I find that If I leave the bike in gear and then let it roll until tranny catches, this isn't a problem though.
Yeah, I think a lot of it is just not to get lazy.  We all have a pre flight check list right?  Well we should have an egress checklist as well, Key off, stand down, slack taken out of tranny, stearing locked, no small animals pinned in fairing etc...

I think a lot of the accidents lately have something to do with spring, and everyone stretching their legs again. Getting back into the ride.  Or maybe we are all just hittin the hootch too hard.  

I am wanting some type of cool aftermarket side stand anyway, I mean that piece of crap that is on there is totally out of character for the rest of the bike.  It's like they had pro's design the thing and then were like "Oh crap...we forgot to design blinkers, a side stand and reflectors...."  Then "ah well let the janitor design those bits..."   Seriously, you do not see Ducati throwing out sweet bikes without paying attention to the details...Look at the new 999, it has a schweet stand and even the DOT approved turn signals look good...Wish Suzuki would learn to pay attention to the details...

Mine almost fell over so I did the mod it works I marked the stand where it hits the stop when its down. I marked it with a paint marker. Took a carbide grinder to it. You have to do it on the outside and the inside. I didnt see that at first. It just goes over center more. Its less likley to fold up if the bike moves

Does anybody have any opinions or info on the the Suzuki Busa centerstand?
I've got one and it is very stable. You will have to remove the little under fairing though. I'm not an agressive rider so I don't know if it would pose any problems in tight cornering. I don't think so but don't hold me to it.

This mod should be done now! Ten minutes of work will save you a wad of cash. I was parked at a dyno race day and a guy with a tl100 was parked behind me, his was on a slight grade and rolled front crashing into mine it pushed a quarter of an inch front on the stand and still did not go over his on the other hand... You never know when you are going to have to park on a wierd angle. Do it I guarantee is will save you a whole lot of %*%^$#n'

Anybody that has done the kickstand mod once you have cut part of the stand away have you had any trouble with it breaking or any other problem

dont want to be sitting on the busa and the kickstand snap and go down ?

thanks Jace

Having problems with the kisckstands folding back is more than likely the kickstand never got put all the way forward in the first place. (This was the case in my situation).

However since I had my mishap I always leave the bike in gear and put the stand down.
If someone walks by and pulls in your clutch that's a whole different situation. IT'S AZZ WHOOPIN TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody that has done the kickstand mod once you have cut part of the stand away have you had any trouble with it breaking or any other problem

dont want to be sitting on the busa and the kickstand snap and go down ?

thanks Jace
Good point!..........What does cutting the kickstand do to the integrity of the metal? I,m sure the design it with specific demensions to hold the weight of this monster........

Hate to see someone screw their ride up more while trying to make it safer.........Just a thought bro!

Back