Kickstand in the way?

geecare

Registered
Can't find anything about a kickstand that doesn't block my boot from shifting.

Got vortex rear sets and they're back and down in order for me to be in a relaxed position. I just notice that my boot is being partially blocked from the shift petal.

Anyone know of a solution or better kickstand with pics?

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

Good luck with getting the problem solved. There will be someone on here that will be able to help you out.

I went through this whole drama with the Gilles.

At first we put on the Gilles and they were tucking my legs too far up and back for my comfort on the street. So I put them on the lowest forward setting and the shifter was indeed butted right up against the kickstand. Johnny, wasn't happy at all with this. Thus I swapped them out and went back to stock---it was more hassle than it was worth to me.

What you might be able to do is to adjust the connector rod and raise the angle of the shift lever. If that doens't work you might be able to get a custom sized one that is shorter and will therefore raise the angle by default. If that is still not an option you can probably only adjust the Vortex backwards and up a little (which I hated) to clear the kickstand.

Last edited:
This is a common problem when doing the Buell peg mod too.

I too, like my shifter lever rather low, in fact I have the same problem with the kickstand. To fix it I extended the lever about an 1.5" or so outward. That way my foot doesn't have to be so close in where the kickstand is. Here is a pic of what I mean. You can use just about anything that will slide snug onto the shaft or get a custom shaft made. One guy even took his shifter and had it turned and tapped (threads added) and screwed on a longer lever.

Hope that makes sense.

IMG_4893.jpg

Vortex racing dept. told me to use o rings. But thanks for all your input. I'll post my solution when I figure something out.

I forgot to mention the other option is to bend the arm outward to effectivly push the lever out so your foot can get under it. Same effect as extending it like I did. :beerchug:

Now your thinking! Hows the clearance into a turn on your knee?

Well considering I am stretched and lowered...LOL

In all seriousness though, my bike can corner just as before. If I lean far enough to drag that peg, there's gonna be some other problems. You can try it out, just stick something on it and lean it over and see how it works.

Found a solution! Hired Chuck in Bellflower, CA 562 810-3131 and he cut a gap and hammered it 5-10 degrees back out of the way. This adjustment did stand the bike more upright, so I will need to turn the bars left when parking. But no more slipping on the shifter! Thank Chuck! In addition to this mod. The Vortex guys did recommend slipping o rings around the peg, which did help.

IMG_4470.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

Hi Paul,
I was going to suggest a front mount shifter, but I don't know if that would have fixed the problem. Glad you were able to work it out.:thumbsup:
Bubba

Back