Kick stand bolt problem...need a little help

NJBusa

Registered
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread...but here is the problem:

Lastnight I had a buddy of mine sitting on my bike while the kickstand was down obviously. He said he felt it leaning towards the kickstand side...I disregarded it and continued to fix his undertail lighting on his bike as he continued to sit on mine and low and behold he yells my name and when i turn around he is holding my just bought 2007 busa INCHES from the ground on the kickstand side...I run over and lift it with him and made hime hold it up while I inspected on what the hell just happened...Here is what it seems....the bike came with voodoo exhaust on it and the two bolts that hold the kickstand bracket to the frame seem to have (2) spacers. One thicker then the other....with that being said the bolts were pulled out of the holes. Tearing about 3 to 4 threads that held them in. Im thinking with this application it didnt come with longer bolts to compensate for the spacers so stock ones were used. I also noticed that the spacers are put there to clear the exhaust when the kickstand is in the up position. Does anyone have a fix for this or has anyone come across this before? Also, does anyone know bolt size so I can possibly find longer ones to work. Thanks in advance guys!

Get a quality exhaust system and ditch the Voodoo doo doo. This is a common issue w/ these and whomever you bought the bike from set it up pretty shotty it would seem. I would never compensate the integrity of the original kickstand for an exhaust tip.

Get a quality exhaust system and ditch the Voodoo doo doo. This is a common issue w/ these and whomever you bought the bike from set it up pretty shotty it would seem. I would never compensate the integrity of the original kickstand for an exhaust tip.

Very true statement! However, I am kickstandless at the moment and need a quick fix...so just looking for a OEM sized bolts just a tad longer would fix it and get my bike off a rearstand. In which I then would order a new exhaust system.

Take the old bolt with you to the hardware store and get a little longer one. I would also run a tap through the hole to make sure it is cleaned out. I cant recall if the holes go all the way through or not. If they do put lock nuts on the back of the bolts as well. This is a huge problem with the voodoo exhaust. Another common fix is put the kickstand back to stock, mark where it hits the voodoo on the up swing. Take the pipe off and take a mallet to it and dent the pipe a little where the stand hits. I know sounds crazy but this is a common thing with pipes like that.

Take the old bolt with you to the hardware store and get a little longer one. I would also run a tap through the hole to make sure it is cleaned out. I cant recall if the holes go all the way through or not. If they do put lock nuts on the back of the bolts as well. This is a huge problem with the voodoo exhaust. Another common fix is put the kickstand back to stock, mark where it hits the voodoo on the up swing. Take the pipe off and take a mallet to it and dent the pipe a little where the stand hits. I know sounds crazy but this is a common thing with pipes like that.

I would recommend the same.

Chasing Kickstand hardware around just make sure if you pick up another bolt that it is grade 8. You don't want to snap off a bolt holding up your bike.

Well looks like I will be dent some pipes today....

Fixed it for you

Thank you.

I would recommend the same.

+1 thanks

Chasing Kickstand hardware around just make sure if you pick up another bolt that it is grade 8. You don't want to snap off a bolt holding up your bike.

Thank you

Now this leaves me with only one more question, since I should have a fix for it with what you guys said....Question is: What exhaust system should I run? I know Brocks is good but any others that you all are running that might catch my eye and be easy on the pocket...lol...trying to stay with a full system and one sided...not a fan of the dual sided exhausts.

Rubb has had about 10 different Busa exhaust systems. Some fit like krap. Some are too loud for my tastes.

What I think I know. Brocks might get you the most HP. Muzzy will have you deaf in one ear within' a month. Some HMF will melt your plastics. blah blah blah.

I would look for a full Yoshi. :thumbsup:

RSD.

Denting the pipe is the common 'fix' for those pipes because you don't see the dent unless you're laying on the ground (or use too big of a hammer). Be sure to run a tap in the hole, use some blue loc tite, and get new bolts regardless of how you fix it. You've pulled a few threads out so now you need to worry about that. Thank your buddy and get him a beer for saving your bike.

Good luck on finding 12mm fine threaded bolts, not many out there!

Does anyone happen to know a link or phone number I can call to find the exact size and pitch of these bolts? I have tried researching and calling numerous numbers to find out but so far all I have is a part number which is 09100-12077 and it comes up as "bolt". Dealerships and the Suzuki number located in the owners manual both have said they don;t know the dimensions because there is no description of the part. So does anyone? So I can buy the correct tap, because it seems like previous owner used the wrong bolt and cross threaded the sh!t out of the mounting holes.

If you have a Fastenal near you, they can help if you take the bolt in.

yes fastenal will help or you could take the hole a little larger and retap it completely to a more common size.

Problem is the previous owner forced a larger bolt in there and the OEM bolts are on order from suzuki via snail mail.

If the bolt hole is now larger the skinnier stock bolts will do you no good. You need to your short but fatter bolts to a hardware store and used there little bolt size chart to find out what size you have. Then buy a tap for that size and get new Botha that are longer, use blue loc tite, then make sure you check them every now and them. Or If you are worried about the few threads that out you can re tap the holes one size bigger than the short bolts you have now.

Back