keeping cool

edouble88h

Registered
does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the engine temp down? i've heard of engine ice and have seen somebody add another fan, other than that is there anything else that can be done. has anyone tried engine ice and if so what are your thoughts?

I'm using Engine ice works great. as well Motul MoCOOL is another good option, and dowhere in PR is hotter than VA.:laugh:

what temp is your motor running?

the stock cooling system should be adequate for the bike as long as it is in good shape and the motor is ok.. Have been in 100+ temps in stop and go and the bike never overheated.. I mean, no point fixing what is not broke right?

Heard the same about engine ice, will be using it after 1441 build is complete. Will let you know in a few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

What year is your bike ? If it's a Gen I and you're overheating in heavy traffic you have several options. Most would say make sure everything is good with the bike, then fixes like engine ice, muzzy fan, and dual fans come to mind. Some report the Gen I was adequate. I had an '06 that was in great shape and couldn't take bike week in Myrtle Beach. There's a reason Suzuki changed this on the Gen II.

I am in Phoenix, AZ got to over 115. I have not seen any issues yet on any of my bikes. Good maintenance is the key. Make sure coolant is topped off and fresh and the thermostat is ok. Also look at the fins on the radiator are not crushed or full of bugs, roadkill or small kids.
:thumbsup:

thanks for all the input. i went to a college parade and it was pretty warm out. most of us there hyped the crowd by exessive revving. a few bikes just got hot cut out but the temp gauge read normal (mine included). thats why i was asking about the engine ice and the extra colling fan. any other suggestions?

thanks for all the input. i went to a college parade and it was pretty warm out. most of us there hyped the crowd by exessive revving. a few bikes just got hot cut out but the temp gauge read normal (mine included). thats why i was asking about the engine ice and the extra colling fan. any other suggestions?
engine ice is nothing to get all excited over.. (Propylene Glycol) it is safe for pets however (well compared to Ethylene Glycol)

If the fan is cycling, the motor is probably not overheating..

Signs you may have a problem:
Fan never turns off
Engine boils over (accompanied by fan always running or never running)

i live in florida and i have a 2007 bought it new and have 30500 miles on it now, never had a overheating problme and have been to leesberg for bike week and daytona for bike week it hot hot but the stock fan was enough. i do regular oil changes and always change the filter, i just at about 500 miles ago changed my antifreeze to engine ice, too early to tell but i think it runs cooler the needle is a bit lower

i live in florida and i have a 2007 bought it new and have 30500 miles on it now, never had a overheating problme and have been to leesberg for bike week and daytona for bike week it hot hot but the stock fan was enough. i do regular oil changes and always change the filter, i just at about 500 miles ago changed my antifreeze to engine ice, too early to tell but i think it runs cooler the needle is a bit lower
from the technical side, it should not run any cooler IF everything is working as it should..

Thermostat regulates engine temperature..

The fan/radiator/coolant are only there to carry the heat away from the motor, not regulate it..

Engine ice DOES have a higher boiling point than ethylene glycol (old school coolant) so it will work better if it comes to extremes where normal coolant would boil.. :)

For the Gen 1 you can also do the thermo fan switch "mod" It's a replacement sensor which kicks the rad fans on/off at a lower coolant temp. Engine ice and/or higher pressure cap are strictly used to raise the boil over point. If you're engine is running at high temps there may be other reasons associated with this. Check the entire cooling system for scaling etc. Make sure the cooling system has been burped as well.

There are plaenty of cooling system threads to browse through that explain alot of the past problems and the resultions.

from the technical side, it should not run any cooler IF everything is working as it should..

Thermostat regulates engine temperature..

The fan/radiator/coolant are only there to carry the heat away from the motor, not regulate it..

Engine ice DOES have a higher boiling point than ethylene glycol (old school coolant) so it will work better if it comes to extremes where normal coolant would boil.. :)

What he said. Common problem on motorcycles is weak battery that doesn't show its weak until you try to start a motor already Heated up. Motor rise is temp a few degrees after they shut off. so if you also have trouble starting,try ot buy a battery with higher cranking amps.

Back