keep my catalyst tail or go back stock?

smithabusa

Site Sponsor
Registered
I am a strong believer in the stock sucks rule LOL, but I am having problem after problem keeping this fiberglass tail from the paint cracking etc and to be honest I do miss being able to access stuff in the tail, especially since i am constantly swapping back and forth with fuel controllers etc.

The bike is just a tad under 6 over, and i may go another inch shorter, old pics of my bike i have found i dont like the tire so far back, but it was closer to 7.5-8 over i think before.

Anyhow what do you think? To be honest since i went a little shorter last year the 6 over catalyst tail looked too long to me. I am just tired of having the tail fixed to have it crack again a week later etc.

Now
yellow1.jpg

Thinking about (yellow paint of course)

DSC_0050-1.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

Personally I've always liked everything about your bike EXCEPT for the stretched tail. My opinion is go back to stock.

Regardless that is an incredible bike! With 400 hp (or whatever you're pushing now) it's cool either way.
thumb_up.gif

I'll buck the trend here and vote for the Catalyst tail. What kind of paint is it done with? I am no paint expert (far from it unless you count Krylon) but I know that some painting friends of mine mentioned some kind of "flexative" in the paint to give it more resilience to constant vibration and motion. I had considered going to the Carbon/Kevlar OPP tail at one point sans paint, just didn't work out.

i like the stock tail in black just change out the gsxr1300 sticker to maybe black with outlined in yellow to tie it all together but i love the bumble bee look like an old tl1000r the widow maker love that bike as much as the busa

most likely will go back to stock, with yellow of course.

The fiberglass tail is the issue, i have just a tiger tail, a rock flew up on the underside and hit the tail and cracked it, just tired of removing the whole tail to access stuff, and I like to tinker a lot LOL

How about a 4" over street tail that uses the orginal hump?

Won't fix the cracking issue but the looks and accessability. Looks however, is a personal thing but I like the looks of mine better now than what it is in this picture(Stock tail 62") It is now 60.75"

4313.jpg

This is it now at 60.75

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i dont care for the street tails as the line changes from the hump to the tail, then its still fiberglass and would have same issues i do now LOL

here is a catalyst 6 over fiberglass tail (alittle dirty) with a c/f hump. it is off the bike and nothen bolted on/lined up, thats y it looks so far off where the hump goes.

View attachment 1592729

edit: ok, nm. just saw u dont want a street tail. well, either not access the tail anymore, or go back to factory. but imo, if ur "ok" with factory, y not get the 6 over street tail. also, i have yet to have any cracking. its only been like 3 months, but still.

My boy Diesel Jr. sez go with the "bumble-bee" look-keep the black tail
beerchug.gif

I think as short of stretch as you're goin, the OEM tail is cool, just update with a clear tail lens or aftermarket undertail, n it'll look hawt!
cool.gif

Back