Kansas Motorcyclist killed by lightning

WOW! What are the odds and wouldn't you have thought the tires would insulate him from the ground? Man, talk about the fickle finger of fate! RIP, guy out doing a good deed and contributing to his community.

WOW! What are the odds and wouldn't you have thought the tires would insulate him from the ground? Man, talk about the fickle finger of fate! RIP, guy out doing a good deed and contributing to his community.

Actually the tires are your enemy when it comes to electricity because they keep the electricity from grounding properly. If a car is hit by lightening or has power wires fall on it you're safe on the inside because the negative (bad) electrons go outward along the body work and frame. This means that the car is acting like a battery and holding a charge until it is properly grounded. If the car is hit by lightening and you get out right afterwords you will be in for a major shock. If this ever happens to you make sure you ground the car some how before opening the door or wait a good period of time for the electrons to dissipate in the air.

It's been a while since I studied the properties of electricity but I believe I got all the major points.

RIP

Actually the tires are your enemy when it comes to electricity because they keep the electricity from grounding properly. If a car is hit by lightening or has power wires fall on it you're safe on the inside because the negative (bad) electrons go outward along the body work and frame. This means that the car is acting like a battery and holding a charge until it is properly grounded. If the car is hit by lightening and you get out right afterwords you will be in for a major shock. If this ever happens to you make sure you ground the car some how before opening the door or wait a good period of time for the electrons to dissipate in the air.

It's been a while since I studied the properties of electricity but I believe I got all the major points.

RIP
Yes, that's a myth that the tires ground the car.

Prayers to the family and friends.

Hard to not see that as "when it's your time" moments.

Back