K9 black gold with gold wheels

Hi 04LE let me explain. The first two image at the beginning of my post are of my bike with the matching color sprayed on the wheels. To me it came awesome, and the bike looks totally different. We got the color code from Suzuki agent and the color matches perfectly. I used photoshop to see how it looks with gold wheels and carbon Yoshimura and i decided to go for that look as it changes the bike completely. After selling my Yoshis and losing my Job the wheels got painted. Then i had a problem, because it seems that when the sprayer painted the wheels being a pearl paint there are multiple coats involved (Primer, base cote, top coat and clear) to get that factory finish of the OEM color of my Busa.

Paint and color are great but it is really easy to chip the paint maybe because of the thickness. Then i was told about powder coat, which is much stronger and a lot less prone to chip, but when i spoke to the powdercoater he could not match the color of my bike, so he suggested to either go for black again (which i was not happy to do so) or use another gold that had nothing to do with the color of my bike. I luckily have another set of wheels that i decided to strip completely from oem paint then we can do the process again to check if it comes out better.

Can i kindly ask if your wheels are OEM color or you painted them? Really nice BTW. If so, did you powder or paint? People on this forum swear by powder coating, but for us here in Malta color is limited and i want it to match exactly the color of my bike. So basically you prefer Gold, me too, then i will try to re paint my second set of wheels to match my bike. I really wished to do powder coating, because of durability, but paint will match better and worse case i will repaint them if chipped or scratched. Thanks for your help my friend.

Not sure why you dont think the gold has anything to do with the color of the bike, isnt the color black and gold? Also the color your using in the photoshop isnt quite matched with the bike color. If you had them matched I think it would look a lot better then the black. To quote the movie cars "black just blends with the road" stand out go for the gold! Im also biased...

Hi again, did you powder or paint your please? thanks.

Not sure why you dont think the gold has anything to do with the color of the bike, isnt the color black and gold? Also the color your using in the photoshop isnt quite matched with the bike color. If you had them matched I think it would look a lot better then the black. To quote the movie cars "black just blends with the road" stand out go for the gold! Im also biased...
Hi you still there? Please can you tell me if yours are powder coated or not?

Oh understand, so the wheels are standard gold sprayed from factory, which according to my sprayer are quite special and paint is without a primer as he told me. He knows i presume because he already painted me a set of wheels that he had to strip. Now i got to know of a company spies hecker that is into paint, and this company has the color of my busa which is a two stage paint, last one i did was a 3 stage coat, secret when painting wheels is to be as thin as possible, in order to have the paint strong you have to avoid multiple coats as my sprayer told me. Now i will try the second set of wheels with this paint, sprayer is already doing a sample and we will match it with the bike.

Tried to buy an oem set of gold wheels but it does not match the color of my gold on the busa and looked really out of place, so that is why i have to paint them.

Hi Guys,

I thought that in this forum i get more feedback than in any other bike forum regarding painting wheels or powder coating, can please someone who saw my post give me some suggestions?

Thanks

I'd say go with the gold. There is a place in Lubbock that guarantees color match on their powdercoat. You should make sure there isn't something that matches before painting them

I'd say go with the gold. There is a place in Lubbock that guarantees color match on their powdercoat. You should make sure there isn't something that matches before painting them
My friend, thanks for the suggestion, but to do so as i live in Malta it would be cheaper for me to go to Sicily and buy a set of wheels from there. I decided to go for paint, as here powder coating is very limited to basic colors and no custom color matching at all. At least i already sprayed a set of wheels gold, now i have another set that i will do this time around with a two base coat instead off a 3 base cote, this will make paint much stronger. Will post images when i will get the rims painted again.

Back