K7 GSXR 1K vs Gen 2 Busa Back-to-back Impressions

AD Johnson

Registered
I got a few hours to go riding today, and I was faced with a hard choice- which bike to ride. Life is hard. I just got the Busa in October, so I've been pretty much riding it. However, I don't want the 1K to sit for too long.

As soon as I hiked my feet onto the pegs of the 1k, I felt like i was trying to mount a cockroach and was running out of room. However once I got onto the highway, the front wheel ascended into the sky with ease, and made me remember why I love this bike. After running into the triple digits, and approaching a corner, the 1k would fall into long sweeping corners with grace. It also accelerates away from stoplights, like nothing else.

I then went home and got out the ole Hay bus. Instantly I felt like i was a riding deep inside the cockpit of this machine. I still had plenty of room for my legs, and my hands fell naturally upon the bar ends. I felt like I was spralled out on a hammock. I was poised to cruise comfortably, or destroy the highways, either one would come with relative ease.. The bike felt heavy and cumbersome, yet each pound inspired me to bury the rpm needle into the ground. Riding this bike, everyone waves and smiles, and I do too.

The thing I like most about each bike, I hate about each bike- like the Hayabusa's heft and the 1k's scapel-like precision. Whenever I'm on the 1k, I think about being on the Hayabusa, unless I'm running around with the front wheel in the air. However, when I'm on the Hayabusa I don't miss the 1k as much...

I never thought I'd say this, but if I had to only have one bike, I think it'd be the Hayabusa. :thumbsup:

To anyone wanting to know which one to get, I'd say the decision is a tough one. It's like chosing between a voluptuous woman with soft, swooping curves, large breasts, a gloriously "healthy" backend (Kim Kardashian) and a cardio bunny who's got six pack abs, B cups, and a hardened backside (Umm...Can't think of one)...You really can't lose.

Thank God I don't have to chose.

-AJ

haha, nice write up. I'm glad I didn't have the same problem as you. I skipped the 1k and went from a 600 to the busa.

What I notice about switching from a 1k to the Busa is the Busa feels a little slower, but thats not the case. The 1k is sooo hyper feeling that it kind of scares you were the Busa is soo smooth and planted. Both are great bikes but I still prefer my Busa...

Mr. Johnson, what a dandy comparison. I too, am blessed with both. I have two gixxers 07 & 08 along with a Gen II busa. I too, enjoy both for different reasons. However, we have slightly different taste as if I had to give one up, it would be my busa. You'd have to pry my cold dead hands off my gixxer. I dearly love the gixxer 1K. I have never been on a bike that felt so good. Riding the gixxer actually tires me less than does the fat chick.

However, at this time I don't have to give up either so I'll keep the girl with the six pack abs as well as the big breasted fat chick! :thumbsup:

AD Johnson, you summed up my situation perfectly. I have the 08 busa plus I have an 08 1125R Buell. The Buell is just as you described your 1k, crack the throttle in the first 3 or 4 gears and you are looking at the sky :laugh:

It is a torque monster that has almost unusable power. The busa, I love hands down, it fits me very very well and I was on a fairly open stretch of interstate today, crusing at a bit above the speed limit :rofl: and it just BEGS for more speed. That things just cruises like a missle.

If I had to choose? Throw the Buell and every other bike I have owned in the garbage, I will take the Busa over anything and everything.

Mr. Johnson, what a dandy comparison. I too, am blessed with both. I have two gixxers 07 & 08 along with a Gen II busa. I too, enjoy both for different reasons. However, we have slightly different taste as if I had to give one up, it would be my busa. You'd have to pry my cold dead hands off my gixxer. I dearly love the gixxer 1K. I have never been on a bike that felt so good. Riding the gixxer actually tires me less than does the fat chick.

However, at this time I don't have to give up either so I'll keep the girl with the six pack abs as well as the big breasted fat chick! :thumbsup:

I think I am feeling the busa a little more now, since I've gained about 60 pounds, since I've done the bulk of my 1k riding. I enjoy the way you have to ride the 1k, you're always revving the hell out of it, like a 600. It's much more fun to me. I've always had a thing for smaller track-inspired bikes. Yet, hmmm...right now...I hate to say it...

haha, nice write up. I'm glad I didn't have the same problem as you. I skipped the 1k and went from a 600 to the busa.

Now, I disagree with your charactirization of the Hayabusa, as a "step up" from the 1k.

This isn't much of a problem, though. :thumbsup:

What I notice about switching from a 1k to the Busa is the Busa feels a little slower, but thats not the case. The 1k is sooo hyper feeling that it kind of scares you were the Busa is soo smooth and planted. Both are great bikes but I still prefer my Busa...

Yes, that's exactly it! The 1k is so hyper feeling, in everything that it does- I kinda like that about it. It seems also it gets more of that negative "outlaw sportbike attention", for just reason.

BTW, the 1k has an M4 half system, and the Hayabusa is 100% stock right now.

God, I love variety.

AJ

That is a good way to describe the hard choices that some of us have to make from time to time.

I have both... a 09 1k and a 08 busa.... used to have a 02 1k at the same time! Loved all 3 ... each have there sweet points and as well as there weakness! The 02 1k has more low end torque, strong mid range, ok top end over then the 09 1k. Its more busa like when sitting on it. Of the 3 bikes... it was in the middle. The 09 is more up right, more nimble, less low end, good mid range, screaming top end, and a more refined bike. Feels more like a 750! The 08 busa is the best for carrying a passenger... then the 02 1k.... then a distant 3rd for the 09 1k. The busa is the best for longer trips... then the 02 1k... then a distant 3rd for the 09. Now that the 02 is gone, the busa is the one I use for 2 up riding or for more relax riding. The 09 1k is for the days I am riding solo and feeling like the twisties are calling me! I am glad I have both, because I would miss them both for equally in there own ways!:rulez::laugh:

Last edited:
To me the Hayabusa is like an all natural voluptuous curvy woman stunning the world with her 36 hips, 32 waist and firm 38 D's on top. Something like this -> http://www.mademan.com/chickipedia/keeley-hazell/

The GSXR1000 is like a skinning Ralph Lauren model sporting a 9 year old boys chest.

Which one would you rather ride?

Last edited:
I had a K8 1000 for about 7 months, then it got stolen last octobe:cussing:I got to say it was a blast to drive but being 6'4 about 230lbs it wasnt comfy at all. With in twenty minutes I was constantly shifting weight and body position due to discomfort. So now I picked up a 09 busa, havenet rode it yet but from what I've read and from just sitting on it I can tell it will be more enjoyable. I want the perfect balance between speed and comfort and hopefully this will do the trick. If I really ever get the itch to hit the twisties I think a 600 is the best route to go, IMO that is.:beerchug:

Coming from a GSX-R1000 to the Busa, I'd have to agree with the write ups. The Gen II is just so stupidly fast regardless of it's additional heft (GSX-R weighed in at 421 lbs. on the scales while my GEN-II punched out a hefty 610!). I could ride faster in the twisties on the GSX-R and easily had more confidence with that bike at 8.5 to 9/10ths pace.

The Busa however, still feels pretty nimble for all its weight (now down to 570 lbs.) and is very planted and stable. I wish I had both a GSX-R and the Busa in my garage, but today's finances don't allow it, therefore the Busa really was the best choice for me when it came time to purchase at the end of '08. I can throw my girl on the back and take off for a sport touring type of adventure and have more fun and more comfort than if we were trying to do that stuff on the gixxer. I can do an occasional drag race and even though I've lost ALL the talent from my younger days, it still clicks off a 145 mph terminal speed. I can go out with my road race friends on a street ride and yes, I have to work a bit harder, but I'm still not the last one in line (especially when the road opens up to sweepers with long range view - he he he).

The Busa has hit the mix perfectly. It's not a GSX-R1000 when it comes to handling, BUT since I'm an old fart who's used to the flexi-flyer handling of the early liter bikes (Yes, I had a GS1100 back in the day) it's still a great machine for going 8/10ths on the street. The Busa with all its weight has a chassis and suspension that would have been better than all the factory Superbike, GP and Four Stoke Formula One stuff that was available back then.

Very happy with the Gen-II.

I've got both...now if I could only talk them into a 3-way :thumbsup:

Hmm...i'm vaguely familiar with her, as such i'm not a big fan. Overall i'm not overly attracted to those unless theyre scandily clad. While clothed there's not much to look at. AJ

Maybe this might help jog your memory :whistle:

Jennifer-Garner-Alias_l.jpg

Back