K&N Air filter swap!

Chango

Registered
I have an after market exhaust on my 2006 put on and Power commander III mapped by the dealer. It has a stock air filter on it. If I go with the K&N Air Filter will I need to go with a new map or will it be Ok as it is?

for every person on this forum you will probably get 2 opinions. so heres #1 - keep it stock. K&N flows more because it doesnt do as good of a job filtering the air (bigger holes). if its a track bike sure but for a stock daily driver, its not worth the extra dirt in your engine.

Thank you for your reply. I do understand that point of view. But I've always had aftermarket filters on my bikes. All of which I obtained used and already had aftermarket filters on them. This is only my second fuel injected bike (1st was a zx12) and it came with the everything already done. Just not familiar with mapping and everything. Not to mention I already have the filter on it's way to me.

Sounds good. No you really dont NEED to re-map for that modification. there is always room for improvement but I don't think there would be any noticeable difference. Always a good time to do a small box mod if you havent already too.

IMO if performance is critical yes on the tune. If not I don't think there's enough difference.

i dont use K&N filters anymore. if you oil them to heavy then they will be less effective then even a stock filter. speaking of that i need to check mine for this new season. happy riding :)

Wow thanks I have been guilty of over oiling my other air filters in the past! Icemansid your first post does offer food for thought. I'm going to make sure I'm more aware of possible dirt getting in. I'm not sure if the mod was done. The previous owner said that living in Indiana he was able to remove some of the "emissions stuff" Im not sure if that was the mod you was referring to. Is there a link to that mod on here. Thanks in advance

I have an after market exhaust on my 2006 put on and Power commander III mapped by the dealer. It has a stock air filter on it. If I go with the K&N Air Filter will I need to go with a new map or will it be Ok as it is?
K&N are the worst air filters....I have heard many say you lose horsepower with the K&N......The stock filter is better than K&N....I think BMC are the best...

K&N are the worst air filters....I have heard many say you lose horsepower with the K&N......The stock filter is better than K&N....I think BMC are the best...

I've had K&N and BMC, and in a few bikes.
Compare them side by side and the only difference you can see is the color.
Compare the race filter to the standard, and the race version is about 2/3 the thickness.

Many times the comment comes up as to how hp is lost with a K&N...yet the evidence never surfaces.
Don't belive everything you hear.:beerchug:

Compare the race filter to the standard, and the race version is about 2/3 the thickness.

Many times the comment comes up as to how hp is lost with a K&N...yet the evidence never surfaces.

Ya, I hear ya...

I'll take a look and see if the mod has already been done. I'm getting the filter for free so I'm going to give it a shot and report my results. With the ZX12 the BMC was the filter to have also. So that does not surprise me to read that. I will absolutely keep my stock filter around so if I don't like the results I will swap it back and definitely report my findings! Thanks again for the input!

We had a shop owner on here years ago and he ran the same bike on his dyno, same conditions with various filters on the Gen I and found that the OEM filter outperformed the others. He sold piper cross and from memory you had to go with the piper cross race filter to out perform the OEM filter. Obviously anything with race in front of it probably means more dirt and crap being feed into the motor. Race engines get rebuilt often, so it's not a biggie. Most of us would like to see 100K miles +.

That is food for thought. Having had it dynoed is pretty straight forward! From what I gather performance gains or in this case loss won't e noticed by a novice like myself. I think another attractive feature is not having to replace the thing but being able to clean it. Is there a case where the K&N failed and cause major issues? I don't want to put my motor at risk.

As long as you clean it per instructions and oil it per instructions you'll probably be good. I have never ran the reusable filters so I don't know.

Just a quick report. I put the K&N in cleaned and oiled. I know folks have had mixed results. But one thing I did notice is my busa when cold would need to have the choke on to get her started. After the new filter she starts on the first hit. So I tried it over and over and it now starts off first touch. I didn't notice a performance difference at first but going on a ride tonight! I'll report later!

Back