Just took my new Busa out for a 200 mile jaunt! Observations and Questions.

San Diego Busa

Registered
Hey Guys

Just took my new scoot out on its first voyage, 200 mile run through all the twistys of san diego area.

First off, this is the first street bike ive owned in over 10 years. Previous bikes include CBR900RR, CBR600F2, ZX7, GSXR750, GSXR1100, and my last was a dual sport (on / off road). All of my previous bikes were PRE 1995 and carbuerated.

OBSERVATIONS:
-DAMN, has technology come a long way! (super crisp throttle, suspension)
-Power of the Busa is INSANE! I love it!
-Wheelies! Yeah, this is in a class all its own. Ive always been a wheelie guy (usually just two gears, nothing too crazy). Gonna be awhile before i try that again! :)
-Suprisingly nimble for its size
-Not too comfy for my size (6'4")

GRIPES:
-As other tall riders have stated, hands numb and legs sore after 100miles or so.

QUESTIONS:
-Money is tight and im looking to improve the comfort ASAP. Out of everything i looked at, it seems as if the Helibars would be a good first mod, then the buell pegs. My legs were a little sore, but my hands were killing me! Reading the Helibars website, it sounds like the wider, closer, taller bars would alleve a lot of the hand pain. Then the buell pegs.

Thoughts? Best bang for the buck for comfort? Hands first! :)

Thanks

Heli-bars and .75" bar risers combined is even better.

SDC11033.jpg

Yes on the HeliBars and Buell pegs for comfort. Later on, new screen and seat.

I'm 6'4 225 and dirt poor.. well more like cheap.. I made mine waaaay comfy with a set of Buelle Pegs (sold by another forum member)m a Puig Double Bubble and a Gel Seat that I bought used that looked brand new.. all of this for under $300... I make 300 mi runs on the regular now without so much of a problem.

Buell pegs should make you more comfortable, but keep in mind you're gonna drag your pegs/feet sooner, as they'll be over an inch closer to the road.
An aftermarket seat will help too, but they are such a personal preference you'de be much better off sitting on them before you buy one. Maybe you could meet some members near you and try a few different ones.

Heli-bars and .75" bar risers combined is even better.

Yeah, i agree, money is tight so right now its one or the other.

Im thinking this order:

1- Double Bubble (already on way)
2- Heli Bars
3- Buell Pegs
4- Additional 3/4" handlebar spacer

Question, with the helibars AND the 3/4" spacers did u need to reroute any cables, etc....?

I'm 6'6" and the heli bars, buelle pegs, double bobble wind screen and some seat time will make all things better. I have no problem doing 3-400 mile days, much more and I need to stop between fill ups and stretch out.

Yeah, i agree, money is tight so right now its one or the other.

Im thinking this order:

1- Double Bubble (already on way)
2- Heli Bars
3- Buell Pegs
4- Additional 3/4" handlebar spacer

Question, with the helibars AND the 3/4" spacers did u need to reroute any cables, etc....?

All I did was remove the throttle cable bracket off of the frame in front of the gas tank. You can see that the bolt is still there in the picture. Everything else clears fine and has plenty of slack.
My bar spacers are homemade(lathe) but similiar ones are $20 or less on ebay, it's the full spacer type that matches the shape of the top clamp that are expensive, $100+.

All I did was remove the throttle cable bracket off of the frame in front of the gas tank. You can see that the bolt is still there in the picture. Everything else clears fine and has plenty of slack.

Thanks

My bar spacers are homemade(lathe) but similiar ones are $20 or less on ebay, it's the full spacer type that matches the shape of the top clamp that are expensive, $100+.

Do you get any flex with a setup like this? I see they are common, but have heard of some flex issues.

Thanks

Thanks

Do you get any flex with a setup like this? I see they are common, but have heard of some flex issues.

Thanks

I've never heard of them flexing and don't see how they could(high grade bolts, ss spacers, and nylon insert locknuts). The top plate that the bars bolt to is a thin aluminun casting, it can't flex(it mounts seperately to the upper triple clamp). It is also only flush mounted around the bolt locations, so you aren't really giving up strength and rigidity by having the bolt spacers as opposed to the full spacer. The full spacer looks better and I'm sure it's support around the edges would add some strength.
I however have never had any flexing, cracking, or issues of any kind with mine. My spacers have about 10k miles on them(they were 1.5" until I got the heli-bars and had to cut them down), and the heli-bars have about a third of that mileage. My bike sees lots of wheelies, stoppies, rough roads and deep corners too, if I can't break them, it's not going to happen.:laugh:
No worries!:thumbsup:

I've never heard of them flexing and don't see how they could(high grade bolts, ss spacers, and nylon insert locknuts). The top plate that the bars bolt to is a thin aluminun casting, it can't flex(it mounts seperately to the upper triple clamp). It is also only flush mounted around the bolt locations, so you aren't really giving up strength and rigidity by having the bolt spacers as opposed to the full spacer. The full spacer looks better and I'm sure it's support around the edges would add some strength.
I however have never had any flexing, cracking, or issues of any kind with mine. My spacers have about 10k miles on them(they were 1.5" until I got the heli-bars and had to cut them down), and the heli-bars have about a third of that mileage. My bike sees lots of wheelies, stoppies, rough roads and deep corners too, if I can't break them, it's not going to happen.:laugh:
No worries!:thumbsup:

Very Cool! I will order those ASAP if they are that cheap and tough!

I would do the buell pegs first, I'm 6'2 and after the peg mod that is all I needed. I believe the kit is $94 including shipping. I don't need to do anything else but I did get the double bubble and gel seat for looks.

Just a note : The more you ride this bike the better you'll do with the hands and legs.

Back