Just ordered my power pilots

crepitus

Registered
I read the post of people mounting there own tires. usually i take them off and bring them to the shop. Should i give mounting a try? then what about balancing? Can i go withoout it?

unless you have equipment to support the rim, a non-scratch bead breaker, I would take it to the shop. You can balance it yourself though using a static balancing method. You just put a specially made axle with bearings on the ends and place on 2 jack stands. You check for the heaviest spot and mark the lightest, move the weight around until you can turn the wheel at the 2, 4 8, 10 'o clock position. If it doesn't show any movement, you're balanced. If the weighted area falls towards 6'oclock, keep looking for the balance point. You can find these tools on ebay. The tire mounting/dismount tool can be found on the harborfreight.com website. It's a tire changer and portable tire changer attachment you should purchase.

I read the post of people mounting there own tires.  usually i take them off and bring them to the shop.  Should i give mounting a try?  then what about balancing?  Can i go withoout it?
I just did my rear tire using the harbor freight tire changing stand and it worked really well. Get some good tire irons, the harbor freight stand and have at it. You should also invest in a good static balancer, which should be available on ebay.

I posted a link a few days ago on how to use the stand but I can't seem to find it. could it be those multiple glasses of red wine?

The shops around here will not change tires not bought from them, and their tire prices are very high!

Hope this helps
cool.gif

I read the post of people mounting there own tires.  usually i take them off and bring them to the shop.  Should i give mounting a try?  then what about balancing?  Can i go withoout it?
I just did my rear tire using the harbor freight tire changing stand and it worked really well. Get some good tire irons, the harbor freight stand and have at it. You should also invest in a good static balancer, which should be available on ebay.

I posted a link a few days ago on how to use the stand but I can't seem to find it. could it be those multiple glasses of red wine?

The shops around here will not change tires not bought from them, and their tire prices are very high!

Hope this helps  
cool.gif
Do you have a link or a part number to that changer?

This: is the link to the motorcycle tire changer attachment, which consists of just the upper assembly. You also need to purchase the portable tire changer: For a good review on these items look here: http://www.4strokes.com/reviews/harborfreight/mctirechanger/ I just used this setup to replace the tires on a friends ZX-9. It worked well enough. You really should plan to mount the unit securely to make the operation easier. A floor mount or trailer hitch mount would probably be the most likely candidates. <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>You're welcome.</span></span>

<!--EDIT|E4G67
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146721273 -->

Back