Just got shocked

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
I just got shocked while hooking up a motor on my golf cart. Mind you, this is a 48vlt cart with lots of amps. It left a scorch mark on 2 fingers.
Can this actually do me any harm (other than the burns)?

I just got shocked while hooking up a motor on my golf cart. Mind you, this is a 48vlt cart with lots of amps. It left a scorch mark on 2 fingers.
Can this actually do me any harm (other than the burns)?

Yup it has enough voltage, with enough amperage it has the potential to kill you.

Is there anything that I should do? It didnt kill me, but are there any after effets?

Yes it can, what you dont want is current crossing the heart. You can defib and throw off your natural heart beat. 1/10 of 1 amp is enough to do the job. If you have burn marks on one hand an no where else, you should be ok. If you start having any dizziness or shortness of breath, go to the ER immediately.

Is there anything that I should do? It didnt kill me, but are there any after effets?

Where else did you get shocked? I need specifics? Most likely no, you didnt cause any lasting damage. However, nerve impulses are electrical in nature. Any shaking or blurred vision?

Where else did you get shocked? I need specifics? Most likely no, you didnt cause any lasting damage. However, nerve impulses are electrical in nature. Any shaking or blurred vision?

Ni was reaching over the motor to hook up the power lines and my left index finger touched the ground terminal. It lit up like awelder for just a second and burned my finger but I jerked it back real quick with a couple of nice words. I havent noticed any other burn marks, but I was laying on cement.

Ni was reaching over the motor to hook up the power lines and my left index finger touched the ground terminal. It lit up like awelder for just a second and burned my finger but I jerked it back real quick with a couple of nice words. I havent noticed any other burn marks, but I was laying on cement.

Your left index finger was on the ground terminal, did you touch the ground terminal to the positive terminal, or part of your hand to the positive terminal?

Ok, you should be fine. Sounds like you got burned. The arc was between the terminals and your hand was in the way. Worst case would be one hand on negative, one hand on positive, but you didnt do that. You might go to a minor med center in the morning and have the burn checked. If the tissue or skin is dead or black, definitely seek medical attention. 2nd or 3rd degree burns need attention, but 1st degree you can put some ointment on it. Next time wear leather gloves and you will be fine.

Ok, you should be fine. Sounds like you got burned. The arc was between the terminals and your hand was in the way. Worst case would be one hand on negative, one hand on positive, but you didnt do that. You might go to a minor med center in the morning and have the burn checked. If the tissue or skin is dead or black, definitely seek medical attention. 2nd or 3rd degree burns need attention, but 1st degree you can put some ointment on it. Next time wear leather gloves and you will be fine.

Yeah, it was just one finger (thank god). I have just heard horror stories about this kind of stuff (and I know why). Thanks for all of the replies and advice!!!!

Yeah, it was just one finger (thank god). I have just heard horror stories about this kind of stuff (and I know why). Thanks for all of the replies and advice!!!!

No problem, like I said, always wear at least leather gloves. You can work energized secondary voltages with dry leather gloves and you dont have to worry so much about differences of potential. I am NOT saying you should test them, but they are great for accidental contact.

The threshold use to be 60 volts, but will vary from person to person and vary with conditions. I think the biggest danger to you during this event was all the current available and molten copper to the face could have blinded you. If I read correctly, you probably need to disconnect the battery, hook up those hard to reach wires, and then connect to the battery. Those burns can be rough, not to mention the cuts and bruises from getting off it.

Check your scrotum and make sure u didn't blow a nut also...:laugh:
On the more serious side...glad it was only a scorch job...I'm always freaky when I am around voltage...don't ask me why:rofl:

Stay away from the hydrids and the chevy volt:poke:

You will not get a second chance glad you still here and it will make a horrible headline. "Man spends his life Racing and died on a broken down golf cart!"

:laugh: Glad you can post:beerchug:

Stay away from the hydrids and the chevy volt:poke:

You will not get a second chance glad you still here and it will make a horrible headline. "Man spends his life Racing and died on a broken down golf cart!"

:laugh: Glad you can post:beerchug:

Yeah, headlines like that are always kinda entertaining ( in a sick kind of way).
I hear thoe hybrid batteries are some SERIOUS voltage and amperage!! Don't know if I even wanna look at those!!

Generally you need between 60 to 100 mA (milliamps) through your heart to stop it. It is accepted that 20mA is enough to do damage. With the resistance of your body, it is unlikely that you can pass this current through your heart using a 48V battery

Generally your 120V home circuitry according to NEC code will trip the GFCI between 4 to 6mA.

I guess the surprise element in this case was the worst, have a couple of beers in the afternoon and you will be healed. :laugh:

Got shocked back in my Navy days.
Hit a 240 volt motor. The charge went through my right middle finger and blew out my elbow. They told me I was unconsious for about 10 minute and convulsing for 5. Had a heart murmer for a week before it settled back out.
Dont really know much details of exactly how it happened beacuse I could not recall any events for that whole day.
They also told me I got reeeeeeeal lucky.

Got shocked back in my Navy days.
Hit a 240 volt motor. The charge went through my right middle finger and blew out my elbow. They told me I was unconsious for about 10 minute and convulsing for 5. Had a heart murmer for a week before it settled back out.
Dont really know much details of exactly how it happened beacuse I could not recall any events for that whole day.
They also told me I got reeeeeeeal lucky.

Surprised 240V hit you that hard.

I'm bad, I will take a spark plug wire, hold it and let the spark jump from my finger to the spark-plug. 120V, if you are fast, with the back of your hand you can flick the wire to see if it is live. :laugh:

I got 480V once from a breaker. Thought is was off, touched it, nothing as I was wearing boots with rubber soles, then I kneeled down and as my knee touched the ground it zapped me from my hand through my knee. Nothing, just scared the hell out of me.

Surprised 240V hit you that hard.

I'm bad, I will take a spark plug wire, hold it and let the spark jump from my finger to the spark-plug. 120V, if you are fast, with the back of your hand you can flick the wire to see if it is live. :laugh:

I got 480V once from a breaker. Thought is was off, touched it, nothing as I was wearing boots with rubber soles, then I kneeled down and as my knee touched the ground it zapped me from my hand through my knee. Nothing, just scared the hell out of me.

You got very lucky, 480 delta is some dangerous stuff. I would much rather handle 13.2kv than 480v.

Back