Just got lowering links. How in the hell do u install them

kaybusa

Registered
I sold my 06 to a female friend of mine which is very cool for me because it means i still get to ride it, Only one issue she is much shorter than i am and needs to have the bike droped a little bit. We got links from ebay they pretty chrome with Hayabusa engraved in them but they came with no paperwork or anything. The new busa i have is lowered so i figured id look at my new one and see how my old one needs to be but just because it looks easy doesnt mean its so.

dbusa.jpg

dkbusa.jpg

The OEM dog bones (rear cushion levers) hold up the whole weight of the rear of the bike.
You have to support the weight of the bike and then remove the old ones and bolt on the new ones.
I tied my rear end up to the garage rafters, while on a rear stand and took the rear stand off and it was suspended.
Make sure you torque the nuts on to spec, as those bolts hold the whole rear end on.
Good luck!

The manual section 6-51 on has a good description.
The torque is 56.5 foot pounds.

Last edited:
If you have a rear stand you can place it on the stand and place a jack under the bike just where the bones attach, Slowly jack up the bike just enough to release the pressure from the bones but not enough to raise the bike off the stand. This should release the pressure on the bones and you should be able to loosen the bolts and remove the older ones, Remember the longer the bone the lower she will sit.

We used the sames ones to lower my sv650 (my husband says I am shorter than a garden gnome).

I am not sure all the steps/work he put into it, I will point out this thread when he gets out of the garage from putting on my new rear sets and bike together. :laugh: :laugh:

I do know he used a rear stand, and it did get tricky having to balance while lowering at a couple of points. It doesn't take long, but can smash fingers quickly!! Best of luck!

Bring Ms. D and her bike down to VA Beach and we will take care of y'all.:beerchug:

Raise the bike up with a jack. Then slide 1/4 dia rod thru the swingarm pivot bolt..rest each end of the rod on jackstands. THis will hold the wieght of the bike up off the rear. Just swap out the links and figure the correct lower hole you want to use.

If you get stuck during the install, call me and I will walk you through it. PM me for my number. :beerchug:

cool thanks guys going to try it today. Va Beach Damm long ride. LOL thanks for the offer. Im going to try the rod method. Now only one thing worries me. She got these bones from ebay i know they are aluminum but they feel so light im worried.

cool thanks guys going to try it today. Va Beach Damm long ride. LOL thanks for the offer. Im going to try the rod method. Now only one thing worries me. She got these bones from ebay i know they are aluminum but they feel so light im worried.

They are light as a feather, dont worry about it. If you put the bike on a rear stand, and put a jack just under the rear shock where the lowest point of the dog bones bolts to the shock support, you will only need to jack the bike up just enough to take the pressure off of the bolt. This will not take you 30 minutes. Just remember, there is a sleeve that the bolt goes through, dont force it, take your time. After you get the bolt out, install the top bolt first and then lower the jack till you line up the bottom holes to the shock support. The farthest bolt hole in the dog bone is the lowest setting. Remember, the shorter the link, the higher the bike, and vice versa.

I have a seat with 1 inch trimmed out of it. Drop me a PM if you need it!

thats y my damm seat on my new bike is so hard! I never could put my finger on in but i knew something was strange about my seat, thats what he did. LOL

TIP...dont tighten the nuts on the link all the way down....the link actualy pivots/ moves so you dont want it pinching at the nuts. Over tighten of the nuts could cause the links latter to snap....seen it, not purrrty at all. And that was on stock links even..:beerchug:

Raise the bike up with a jack. Then slide 1/4 dia rod thru the swingarm pivot bolt..rest each end of the rod on jackstands. THis will hold the wieght of the bike up off the rear. Just swap out the links and figure the correct lower hole you want to use.

This is how I did mine. Also are you lowering the front? Might want to lower front also. Reason is you don't want the rear lower then front for handling issues.

Also when changing owners of bike,it's good to set the suspension....

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/89876-jinkster-attacks-suspension.html

Ok Mission complete!! Now it was not as cut dry and easy as you say it was supposed to be. Frist i couldnt find a solid rod anywhere in home depot so i had to settle for a piece if 1/2 in rebar. well it took about 10 seconds of jacking before that bent into a U shape. Now i got another issue how do u get it out the pivot hole with it bent on both sides!!:mad2: OK after a little bit of a struggle it finally came free. Now how do i get the weight off the rear? i dont have a place to hook it to inside i live in a apt, but hey theres a telephone pole out in the alley. :stirpot: cooking up a plan. I took two come,alongs hooked it to the rungs of the telephone pole and then to the grab bar of the busa, we now have a hoist!!

low.jpg

Ok Mission complete!! Now it was not as cut dry and easy as you say it was supposed to be. Frist i couldnt find a solid rod anywhere in home depot so i had to settle for a piece if 1/2 in rebar. well it took about 10 seconds of jacking before that bent into a U shape. Now i got another issue how do u get it out the pivot hole with it bent on both sides!!:mad2: OK after a little bit of a struggle it finally came free. Now how do i get the weight off the rear? i dont have a place to hook it to inside i live in a apt, but hey theres a telephone pole out in the alley. :stirpot: cooking up a plan. I took two come,alongs hooked it to the rungs of the telephone pole and then to the grab bar of the busa, we now have a hoist!!

:rofl: ??? Creative, but scary.....becarfull. Make sure its secure that way...cause the stock link bolts are TIGHT and you will be pulling on the wrench to get them loose!

dayem dowg.lol.i hope this wont offend nobody.. but thats some straight engineering right there.
dont try and do that on your busa:laugh:
altho very resourceful of you.
you'd do very good on that show survivor

Last edited by a moderator:
Back