Just got Brocks AH installed

ericyow

Registered
Ok, so I'll preface that I'm no mechanic (lawyer, preacher, pro pool player - but not a mechanic).  But I did have a track-day'in friend help with the install.  To make a long story short, we're installed and plastics on when I ride 100yds up the road and back.  (Sounds awesome, btw.)  Upon my return, and well before the bike got hot, we saw smoke coming from the front and smelled something burning.  I plan on riding again tonight so I'd love to figure out what this is.  We didn't have time to trouble shoot last night because I had to take my girl home and it was already late.  So, any suggestions will be welcomed.

Here's what I've gotten so far - I remember the flanges bending when we torqued down on the header bolts, maybe that's got something to do with it (leak, smoke?).  The exhaust springs have rubber sleeves on them, maybe one is burning, as it may be pressed against the exhaust(are the sleeves supposed to stay on there?).  We changed the oil before the exhaust install, maybe it's just oil on some hot parts (not sure how that's possible?).

Any ideas?

I'll post pics soon, by the way.  It looks and sounds great.  It made my friend's 2yo cry when I started it up in the garage (she was sooo cute).  The PCIII was an easy install.  While I was at it, I quickly used the reflector brackets to rid myself of that nasty undertail.  It was tricky figuring how how to mount it, but it worked out.

smoke on a new pipe is pretty common, it has a distinct smell to it as well. Now unless you have something up against the pipe such as a hose or the fairings.. then I would not get too worried about it.. If there was an exhaust leak at the flange, you would know it..(pretty loud normally)

I would bet if you take the same ride again, little or no smoke with come out..

Oh on a side note (and this is sort of old school) the pipes need to be cleaned really well before the first "start up".. BACK WHEN sport bikes had chrome pipes (70's) if you left so much as a thumb print on the pipe, you would spend a lot of time removing the "blued" burn mark from the oils in your hands.. (if you ever got rid of it)

like mr bogus said you will see some smoke and smell some burning, nothing to worry about, no go ride the thing!!

smoke on a new pipe is pretty common, it has a distinct smell to it as well. Now unless you have something up against the pipe such as a hose or the fairings.. then I would not get too worried about it.. If there was an exhaust leak at the flange, you would know it..(pretty loud normally)

I would bet if you take the same ride again, little or no smoke with come out..

Oh on a side note (and this is sort of old school) the pipes need to be cleaned really well before the first "start up".. BACK WHEN sport bikes had chrome pipes (70's) if you left so much as a thumb print on the pipe, you would spend a lot of time removing the "blued" burn mark from the oils in your hands.. (if you ever got rid of it)
thumb_up.gif

Mine smoked for a good 10-15 minutes but very lightly.. I think it was pretty much residual oil/fluid from the bending process or to keep it from rusting ??.. Whatever it was it stopped shortly thereafter and other than a rubber spring cover melting there was n othing else.. The fit was actually better tolerance wise than the stock exhaust was.. Enjoy !!
beerchug.gif

Ok, so I'll preface that I'm no mechanic (lawyer, preacher, pro pool player - but not a mechanic).  But I did have a track-day'in friend help with the install.  To make a long story short, we're installed and plastics on when I ride 100yds up the road and back.  (Sounds awesome, btw.)  Upon my return, and well before the bike got hot, we saw smoke coming from the front and smelled something burning.  I plan on riding again tonight so I'd love to figure out what this is.  We didn't have time to trouble shoot last night because I had to take my girl home and it was already late.  So, any suggestions will be welcomed.

Here's what I've gotten so far - I remember the flanges bending when we torqued down on the header bolts, maybe that's got something to do with it (leak, smoke?).  The exhaust springs have rubber sleeves on them, maybe one is burning, as it may be pressed against the exhaust(are the sleeves supposed to stay on there?).  We changed the oil before the exhaust install, maybe it's just oil on some hot parts (not sure how that's possible?).

Any ideas?

I'll post pics soon, by the way.  It looks and sounds great.  It made my friend's 2yo cry when I started it up in the garage (she was sooo cute).  The PCIII was an easy install.  While I was at it, I quickly used the reflector brackets to rid myself of that nasty undertail.  It was tricky figuring how how to mount it, but it worked out.
BTW.......love your sig
deadhorse.gif

rofl.gif
.....anywho back to the smoke and smell, if you just rode it for 5mins or so, YES, this is normal, for one you have all them greasy finger prints on the head and mid pipes that have to burn off. PLUS, you said you changed the oil and chances are....no matter how carefull you where some got some onto hot parts! AND YES the rubber sleeves are supposed to stay on the springs. so if i where you(and ive installed about 7 aftermarket exhaust systems) I would go home tonight, just to be on the safe side take another real good look at your pipes, just to make sure no foam, plastic, or loose wires are laying on the exhaust anywhere.......START that new BEAST up "OUTSIDE" and let it idle for about 10-15 mins and smoke away, after the exhaust gets good and hot it should stop smoking, then take that dude out and see what its made of
kickass.gif
. LET us know how it runs,PIC's PLEASE, very interested on what you think of this system as it or the ti force, im thinking of getting.

Make sure it's not burning your plastic body work! Smell is normal the exhaust has oil film on it
beerchug.gif

underconstruction_003.jpg

Make sure it's not burning your plastic body work! Smell is normal the exhaust has oil film on it
beerchug.gif
MAN THATS A SWEET LOOKING EXHAUST SYSTEM
kickass.gif
. i have question thats probably impossible to answer, but how loud is that exhaust for the street? i mean is it like FLOWMASTERS compared to turbo muffles or like uncorked headers compared to turbo muffles? my busa is mainly street/strip, but still occasionally go for nice easy rides in the hills......in your guys opinion do you think it to much for this type of use? i am after pure ass streetable PERFORMACE, but im really stuck on which exhaust to pull the trigger on? thx for any input......and sorry for the
hijack.gif

beerchug.gif
kickass.gif
. i have question thats probably impossible to answer, but how loud is that exhaust for the street? i mean is it like FLOWMASTERS compared to turbo muffles or like uncorked headers compared to turbo muffles? my busa is mainly street/strip, but still occasionally go for nice easy rides in the hills......in your guys opinion do you think it to much for this type of use? i am after pure ass streetable PERFORMACE, but im really stuck on which exhaust to pull the trigger on? thx for any input......and sorry for the
hijack.gif
It is loud but not too bad, Harley's are way LOUDER! You will LOVE this exhaust.
I had the YOSH R-22 before I got the AH Brock system it's worth it just because of the Maps for your PCIIIusb alone
laugh.gif

mybusa_001.jpg

beerchug.gif
kickass.gif
hijack.gif
It is loud but not too bad, Harley's are way LOUDER! You will LOVE this exhaust.
I had the YOSH R-22 before I got the AH Brock system it's worth it just because of the Maps for your PCIIIusb alone
laugh.gif
RIGHT ON MAN THX, im pretty sure thats what im going wit, i know in the dragbike world brocks is da sheet
race.gif

thumb_up.gif

It is not nearly as loud as you would think, 08Busa is right the harley's are WAY louder... It has an awesome tone to it that just makes her sound like a pure race bike on steroids !!! I have a friend whose son races Jr. Dragsters and they are at the drag strip on a constant basis. He say's it sounds great, and sounds a lot like an Indy Car when I go down the strip..
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I love the sound! It's loud, but not so bad to kill your ears or anything. I started it up in the garage the first time and man it was beautiful. Like I said, it made the little 2yo girl cry. Too funny. (I mean..."aww, I feel bad now," or something like that). I'll check and make sure that no hoses or anything might be touching and then ride it tonight. Thanks for all the input!

I know for a fact that Muzzy uses a plastic covering on their packing material that burns off shortly after you run the bike for the first time. Mine smoked/smelled for about 5 minutes on the first run and then it was fine.

didnt read everyones answer but when i put on my shortmeg it smoked from the copper silicon rtv crap you put on...hopefully that helps...you will love that exhaust ,heads will definatley turn to you

All pipes smoke a little at first. Just double check to make sure the plastics aren't touching anywhere. If it keeps smoking after a five minute ride then there is a problem. Could also be residue from the oil change.

Just so ya'll know, the bike's not smoking and I LOVE the sound of it! The faster I go, the faster I want to go, just to hear it. I love it!!!

Back