Just dropped my beautiful Busa...

MeatGrinder

Registered
I know, shouldv'e modded the kickstand. I'm always SO CAREFUL about it. But get distracted ONE time...it will happen to you.
I'm bs'ing with the neighbor, and THINK the kickstand is down all the way. I swing my leg over the bike to get off, and it falls on top of me. It happened so fast, I was in shock.
Broke off left mirror, clutch handle, scratched my lower and upper fairing.
It was a PERFECT '03 Gray/Silver, bought in March.
I'm hurting for money too, with a divorce.
Is there any way to fix the fairing? How much is a new one?
F*#k! Now my wrist is starting to swell up. And my ankle.

DOH! Thanks to this board, I have been paranoid since day one and ALWAYS walked thru the "protect it from itself" ritual: in 1st gear, all the way forward, not leaning on opposing hill etc. Other weirdness I notice I do is: when stopping at a stop sign or red light to rest clutch hand, I shift into N but NEVER trust the idiot light... so I release clutch slowly.... EVERYTIME. Also when shutting her down. sounds goofy but those habits can save stuff. I hope you get some decent replacement parts, meatgrinder, maybe some people here have some free spare parts

Sorry to hear that you dropped it. Mine fell off the stand while changing the rear tire a few weeks ago. Scratched the nose faring the side faring dent in gas tank. I was sick. So I know how you feel. I got a clutch lever I can send ya. Mine is all black and I had the farings painted and they came out perfect. So it can be done. Those farings are over 3 hundred bucks each so thats why I had them painted. Get ahold of Kathy512 over on S.H.ORG you can find her in the for sale section seems to have fair prices on stuff.

sorry to hear that
go to a local bike shop after market levers are like 20 bucks and just leave the farings like that

Sorry to hear about the accident. Something like that happens to all of us though. I too go through a ritual when parking the bike. I think I check the stand about 8 times before I actually walk away from the bike even on flat surfaces. As others have said, replacement parts are pretty cheap or you can just keep the battle scars!

Sorry about the drop and the damage. I just did some damage to my Busa a couple months ago and the fairings are very expensive to replace so if they can be buffed/painted I would go that route.

Sorry about the drop. I did the kickstand mod and I still kick the stand down with authority to be sure. I even wiggle the bike a couple times to be sure it is going to stay. This is one girl I don't want laying down:;):

DOH!   Thanks to this board, I have been paranoid since day one and ALWAYS walked thru the "protect it from itself" ritual:  in 1st gear, all the way forward, not leaning on opposing hill etc.  Other weirdness I notice I do is: when stopping at a stop sign or red light to rest clutch hand, I shift into N but NEVER trust the idiot light... so I release clutch slowly.... EVERYTIME.  Also when shutting her down.  sounds goofy but those habits can save stuff.  I hope you get some decent replacement parts, meatgrinder, maybe some people here have some free spare parts
we brothers? I do it the exact same way just about.

Sorry about the mishap Cloud 9 and hope you are feeln betta, however whichever way you choose to go is gonna cost you a couple of bills.

So start with getting a pair of frame sliders.

Been there, done that and it SUCKS!

Sorry to hear about it and I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

Between ronayers and ebay you're looking at close to $1000.00.

The left lower fairing and upper nose fairing will run you about $840 shipped from ronayer.com. Takes about 10 business days to receive.
Since they run these off an assembly line there are no worries about color mismatch, color alignment, decals, or paint texture. Takes no more time to replace than a oil change and your bike is new and beautiful again.

An aftermarket clutch handle is about $20, I got one off eBay and you can't tell the difference. I think they are $40 from the dealer so either way it's not that big a deal.

Mirrors are up on eBay all the time, especially the aftermarket exact replacements which I hear are total garbage. Something about the glass not being concave which gives a poor view and they are made flimsy which makes them vibrate badly.

Luckily people change out their stock mirrors for aftermarket all the time so you can get a good deal on REAL Suzuki mirrors. I paid $30 for a pair in absolute mint condition, and will keep the right one just in case.

Make sure you also search for GSXR mirrors. Certain years used the exact same part number with boot and all. It'll expand your options and will cost you less since the name Hayabusa isn't in the description. Make sure you bid on one with a picture since some years (or possibly models?) of GSXR's didn't use the Busa boot style mirrors.
If you get the body panels before the mirror you can always wet sand the scratches off your old mirror and hit it with low gloss black spray paint. Great temporary fix (that none of your friends will notice) until you get a replacement.

I'm still up in the air about the kickstand mod as I'm afraid it may weaken the stand. I did order a set of sliders which require no fairing hacking. They should be in any day now.

For how many people I hear about this happening to, I think it may be time for a class action lawsuit against Suzuki.
I've only been on this board since April and it seems like it happens to someone at least once every two weeks. I also see people auctioning off scuffed up left side parts on eBay due to the stupid kickstand. Imagine how many people this is happening to every year that we don't even hear from!!

It's only a matter of time before the bike falls on it's owner causing injury or worse yet on a child in which 500 lbs could be deadly.

GET USED TO DOING A RITUAL ... IF U HAVENT DONE THE MOD.. SINCE I DONT HAVE A GRINDER, I HAVE NOT DONT HE MOD. SO I CHECK THE KICKSTAND SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE I LET GO , TURN THE BARS TO THE LEFT. THEN WALK AWAY. SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE TIP OVER.

Sorry to hear that you dropped it. Mine fell off the stand while changing the rear tire a few weeks ago. Scratched the nose faring the side faring dent in gas tank. I was sick. So I know how you feel. I got a clutch lever I can send ya. Mine is all black and I had the farings painted and they came out perfect. So it can be done. Those farings are over 3 hundred bucks each so thats why I had them painted. Get ahold of Kathy512 over on S.H.ORG you can find her in the for sale section seems to have fair prices on stuff.
holy crap kev.... when did this happen... I've been gone for awhile but damn!!!!

sorry to hear your baby went down. btw... Rob and I are going to the track on friday. You are welcome to come.

Thanks all for the replys.
My wrist got sprained, or something. Hope it heals up quick.
Turbo Torch: tell me about those sliders. Right now I feel like leaving it scuffed up, in case it happens again!

Thanks all for the replys.
My wrist got sprained, or something. Hope it heals up quick.
Turbo Torch: tell me about those sliders. Right now I feel like leaving it scuffed up, in case it happens again!
I'm still paranoid. I will NEVER EVER leave the bike idling in neutral without me sitting on it again. When I stop I put down the kickstand so the bike automatically turns off, let go of the clutch and push forward in first until all the slack is out of the driveline and then check and double check that the kickstand is all the way forward. Lastly bars to the left. Pretty crazy stuff for an expensive flagship bike.

I thought that maybe I've just been lucky all these years and decided to see how the CXT's reacted to movement.
Slap the kickstand down, bike in neutral, push the bike forward as hard as I can (with just the bikes weight on the stand) and the stand digs into the ground and drags.

The sliders I ordered are made by a company called Bike Design Benelux out of Belgium. They specialize in sliders that do not require cutting of fairings. Hard to find any info on them but from what I have found, the components appear to be beyond heavy duty. If they keep the bike safe in a tip over I'll be more than happy. I also like the fact that they are not attached directly to one single point of the frame...if the bike goes down hard enough the brackets will spread out the force (and hopefully give way if severe enough) vs. a regular slider that transmits full force into one single point of the frame and in some cases causing more harm than good by tweaking the frame.

I could not find a distributor in the US. Had to go through a distributor in the UK.
They don't come cheap either. By the time you convert currency they cost about $240.00 shipped.

I decided to be the guinea pig and place an order. I'll have lots of pics when they get here.

This is the only pic I've found mounted to a Busa:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry this happened to you but glad you made me aware of the problem. I almost never leave the bike in gear. It's so flat down here I never that I needed to put it in gear. I will surely be more careful now. Thanks

My ritual for stepping off the bike is, when i put the kickstand down i make sure it's all the way down, then when i get off, while holding the front brake my left foot is on the kickstand base. Then i always pull back on the bike alittle to make sure the bike is planted.

The squids in my town have no problem parking facing downhill while hopping off the right side, it'll catch up with'em sooner or later.

Back