Just Did My 600 Mile Service! Observation!

You have never adjusted your chain at all? and 6,000 miles, If not you are riding that thing way to easy Jelly:laugh::poke:

Fully agree there!
I am sure I could prevent chain stretch the first 2K miles if I never took the throttle over 1/4 way or speed shifted picking the front wheel up at 90 MPH in 2nd. At 2800 miles my tire is already on its limiters all across the tread.

Fully agree there!
I am sure I could prevent chain stretch the first 2K miles if I never took the throttle over 1/4 way or speed shifted picking the front wheel up at 90 MPH in 2nd. At 2800 miles my tire is already on its limiters all across the tread.

I got 3000 miles on the first back tire, so the back wheel came out, but the adjusters are still where they were when new. I prefer my chain a little loose, so it is just under an inch on the side stand.

I'm an Engineer, our stuff always lasts a lot longer.:whistle::laugh:

The first thing I did when my bike got home new is take all the factory gunk of the chain, so it was clean and dry. Then a dry chain lube, just to keep the o-rings in a condition where they seal.

Are you guys keeping your chains clean, with no oil on them? Oil plus road dust = grinding paste. I suspect the stretch you are seeing is sprocket wear, and wear on the outside roller inner surface. Are you guys making sure that after you adjusted your chains, the swing arm has full travel through the shock, without the chain tightening up?

When I was still young and pretty, I use to race bicycles professionally. We would change wheels during races, so we had to make sure all those expensive gears at the back stay in perfect condition, any wear and the chain starts jumping teeth. To do that we use to replace a chain at 1,000 miles on our race bikes and on our training bikes we would ride until the links are about to fall out and then replace the whole drive train. The longest chain life I use to get was riding with no chain lubrication whatsoever. A bit of dry teflon spray to take the squeek away and that was it. Never cleaned my chains either.

I personally wouldn't change over to full synthetic until the 10K mark. You are not going to benefit anything from it anyways. I'd allow the motor to full break in. If you change over too soon the additional benefits of synthetic will prevent the motor from proper break in. It will result in a few less HP and not as efficient of a motor as it could be. After 1,200 or so miles I'd find a nice long empty road and run the bike through some heat cycles.

Back