Just Did My 600 Mile Service! Observation!

San Diego Busa

Registered
Hey Guys

Just did my first service. Went well, fairly easy, but a few notes:

-Gen II fairings are a PITA to remove! What a stupid design! Thanks to everyone on here for their help. The videos and powerpoint were good but those little invisible clips holding the fairing to the nose cone kicked my butt! :) Way easier to put together.

-Chain was WAYYYY loose. Spec says .8-1" of slack at rest, mine had over 2.75' before adjusting it. Guessing the idiots that assembled the bike at the dealer didnt set it right, doubt it stretched that much.

-Oil was WAY cleaner then i expected. Looked almost new. Bike had exactly 585 miles on it. I figured it would at least have SOME flakes in it from the break in, nothing. Weird.

-Throttle cable had quite a bit of slack too, feels much better now.

Anyone see an issue with me waiting until 1500 miles to swap to full synthetic?

Thanks

Everyone has different opinions on when to switch to full synthetic, most say to wait a few thousand miles to allow the engine to properly break in, some say it's 100% safe to switch at the first 600 mile service. I waited until 2-3k just to be safe and thwn switched to amsoil and couldn't be happier

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

At 1400 I changed to semi syn and at 3400 I changed to full syn but that is just me.

Chain must have been slack from the beginning, I'm close to 6,000 miles and still no adjustment needed.

Change to synthetic whenever it makes you happy, it really does not matter.

Some of the Italian bikes, needing much more careful running in than a Busa come direct from the factory with full synthetic.

Had my 600 mi service done with petro oil. 5K mi went to Mobil One and K&N filter. Coming up on 10K mi will do Mobil One and K&N filter again and maybe change the air filter if it looks dirty.

Everybody has their opinion... but IMO unless you race your bike, anything less than 5,000 mi is a waste, you could probably go 8K-10K and still be safe for the average rider. Don't under estimate the durability of these engines:whistle:

I did my first oil change at around 500 miles, i put suzuki 10w 40 and a suzuki filter back on. Yes the chain will stretch no they arent idiots NEW chains will stretch the first 1500 miles or more depending on riding conditions. Did you clean and lube your chain also at 500 or just adjust it?
2ND oil chage was at 1000 miles same type of oil and filter and also just my 3rd at 2500. All times the chain has stretched, Just checked the chain yesterday at around 2800 and she is still good.

I did my first oil change at around 500 miles, i put suzuki 10w 40 and a suzuki filter back on. Yes the chain will stretch no they arent idiots NEW chains will stretch the first 1500 miles or more depending on riding conditions. Did you clean and lube your chain also at 500 or just adjust it?
2ND oil chage was at 1000 miles same type of oil and filter and also just my 3rd at 2500. All times the chain has stretched, Just checked the chain yesterday at around 2800 and she is still good.

Thanks. Yes, i cleaned and lubed the chain as well

-Chain was WAYYYY loose. Spec says .8-1" of slack at rest, mine had over 2.75' before adjusting it. Guessing the idiots that assembled the bike at the dealer didnt set it right, doubt it stretched that much.

This is a red flag!!! 2.75 is way off. You would have never left the dealer with that much slack from the factory, or even a PDI inspection. Keep any eye on this please. (Or tell us more about how you measured, and some pictures of the adjustment setting nuts).

This is a red flag!!! 2.75 is way off. You would have never left the dealer with that much slack from the factory, or even a PDI inspection. Keep any eye on this please. (Or tell us more about how you measured, and some pictures of the adjustment setting nuts).

I know, the dealer dropped the ball on this one for sure.

I tightened it to spec, rode it hard for 100 miles, and its still good to go at the same .9" i set it to.

Thanks

that chain issue is wierd. i had to adjust mine at my initial service, but it was not that loose. just a minor adjustment. ive seen chains that loose b4, but usually its on older bikes that have not been taken care of and in dire need of maintenance.

Chain must have been slack from the beginning, I'm close to 6,000 miles and still no adjustment needed.

Change to synthetic whenever it makes you happy, it really does not matter.

Some of the Italian bikes, needing much more careful running in than a Busa come direct from the factory with full synthetic.

You have never adjusted your chain at all? and 6,000 miles, If not you are riding that thing way to easy Jelly:laugh::poke:

You have never adjusted your chain at all? and 6,000 miles, If not you are riding that thing way to easy Jelly:laugh::poke:

It's that chainlube Sleepless Red keeps pushing. :thumbsup::laugh:

Here in Pinehurst there is a Popo around each corner, you gonna have to come look and see.

Hey Guys

Dude, you should be checking and lubeing that chain every 3-4 tanks of gas!! :rulez:

Everybody has their opinion... but IMO unless you race your bike, anything less than 5,000 mi is a waste, you could probably go 8K-10K and still be safe for the average rider. Don't under estimate the durability of these engines:whistle:

Not true, you could have an oil that would last a life time but the oil will still get dirty. People that live in dusty areas should change it sooner than none dusty areas.

I heard that engine break ins or rpm limts where not needed after 2003 or so.

I remember when the zx12r came out it had a sticker on the tach saying something like 1st 500 miles keep under 5k rpm, 1000 miles keep under 7500 rpm, 2000 miles keep under 8000. No one does that anymore.

On the other hand my Glock 17 has a 100 round break in. The sliding metal creates a smoother service after use which causes less resistance to operate.

no one can really have any argument unless they tear down the engine and measure it scientifically. HOPEFULLY that's what the manufacture is doing.

Back