Just did an oil change on my Gen 2....

torquemonsterr

Registered
and it was a nightmare!! Changing the oil and filter was the easy part. Taking off the plastics took forever (I did go through the Gen2 fairing removal tutorial before removing the fairing), but there are quite a few number of tabs on the fairing to seperate from the frame and it took me some time to seperate the right side fairing from the nose piece as i am afraid that i might break any tabs on the fairing. This is my third time taking off the fairing, and i still couldn't remember where all the plastic tabs are. Not looking forward to removing the fairing again.:(

Those first few times suck bit it gets easier every time

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Stilslo said:
It does get easier after a few times. Just take your time, have patience, and beer.

About a 6 pack job now. Was a half case the first couple times:laugh:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

You dont have to take the fairings off. Take a few faring bolts out,a few tabs, spread the fairings apart and hold them open with something and your there. Use a K&N filter with nut on top and a ratchet wrench and your golden. Ive been doing it this way for 30,000 miles.

You dont have to take the fairings off. Take a few faring bolts out,a few tabs, spread the fairings apart and hold them open with something and your there. Use a K&N filter with nut on top and a ratchet wrench and your golden. Ive been doing it this way for 30,000 miles.

Didn't thought of that method to remove the oil filter, I will try that on the next oil change. Thanks:thumbsup:

:laugh: I was changing the oil on my Busa a few weekends ago while talking to Omar (omslaw) on the phone, catching up...the whole time I'm tearing the fairings off and doing this and that, I didn't give it much thought. As I was putting the pieces back together it hit me just how "scared" I used to be, tearing it down. I even said to Omar I recall how extremely careful I was those first few times, so worried I'd scratch or crack the paint, and he said he used to tape everything off, that it took forever :laugh:

It gets much easier with each time...promise you it won't always be that stressful :thumbsup:

I tell myself every single time I'm going to try this, but I've been able to tear the Busa down, change the oil and get everything back in 20 minutes, so I never have bothered to even try. I need to do this! :thumbsup:

:laugh: I was changing the oil on my Busa a few weekends ago while talking to Omar (omslaw) on the phone, catching up...the whole time I'm tearing the fairings off and doing this and that, I didn't give it much thought. As I was putting the pieces back together it hit me just how "scared" I used to be, tearing it down. I even said to Omar I recall how extremely careful I was those first few times, so worried I'd scratch or crack the paint, and he said he used to tape everything off, that it took forever :laugh:

It gets much easier with each time...promise you it won't always be that stressful :thumbsup:

Don't you have a Gen 1? The Gen 2s are twice as bad. :banghead:

Don't you have a Gen 1? The Gen 2s are twice as bad. :banghead:

I do have a Gen 1, and I told the Suzuki reps at the Bash a few years back that they really messed up the Gen II's and missed a great opportunity to have small panel, easily removed for oil changes. When the first shots of the Gen II's came out, it looked like they'd made a break in the fairing to allow for easier oil changes, but once I had the extreme pleasure of fixing my uncle's Gen II my ex crashed, I realized the fairing is still one huge frickin' panel :banghead:

:laugh:

I have no idea about a gen 2 oil change but my gen 1 has a oil filter relocation kit and u really dont have to take anything off..i just unbolt the lower brace that holds the two fairings together so i dont get oil all over it..u might want to look into the kit for a gen2..it might be worth the money..

sent from my busa

and it was a nightmare!! Changing the oil and filter was the easy part. Taking off the plastics took forever (I did go through the Gen2 fairing removal tutorial before removing the fairing), but there are quite a few number of tabs on the fairing to seperate from the frame and it took me some time to seperate the right side fairing from the nose piece as i am afraid that i might break any tabs on the fairing. This is my third time taking off the fairing, and i still couldn't remember where all the plastic tabs are. Not looking forward to removing the fairing again.:(
Suzuki made the busa a nightmare to change oil on with their lousy plastics design. I posted up in another thread about a guy I know who only changes his oil every 5 years or so when he hits about 5000 miles on the oil (he runs mobil 1 bike syn and factory filter) because he hates the crappy plastic design. He broke his side panel the first time he changed the oil and had to buy a new one on a brand new bike. He also owns multiple bikes though so doesn't put that much mileage on each. Even if you manage to get things off okay, if you're not super careful you can still end up scratching the plastics. The ZX14 has a special cut-out so you can reach the oil filter super easy without removing a single thing off the bike. I won't buy another busa until they make oil changes easier like the 14 :tantrum:

Serious? The push pins are so quick and easy to remove rather then bolts? Pop. Pop. Pop, snap pull drop woooo lahhh.. The onlything I dont care for is laying on the ground to get to the bottom pins.

2Wheels2Live said:
Suzuki made the busa a nightmare to change oil on with their lousy plastics design. I posted up in another thread about a guy I know who only changes his oil every 5 years or so when he hits about 5000 miles on the oil (he runs mobil 1 bike syn and factory filter) because he hates the crappy plastic design. He broke his side panel the first time he changed the oil and had to buy a new one on a brand new bike. He also owns multiple bikes though so doesn't put that much mileage on each. Even if you manage to get things off okay, if you're not super careful you can still end up scratching the plastics. The ZX14 has a special cut-out so you can reach the oil filter super easy without removing a single thing off the bike. I won't buy another busa until they make oil changes easier like the 14 :tantrum:

Really? If you think the plastics are a PITA on a Busa then go grab on to the plastics of the latest generation of CBR1000's. Yea, I would rather be able to change the filter without removing them but I can strip the entire front end in less than 15 minutes without scratching a piece.

I only change my filter on every 3rd oil change. I can dump the oil in 10 minutes.

Loosen drain plug, drain oil, tighten drain plug, refill with 4 quarts, done. If the plastics have to be removed, we schedule other maintenance to be done during that time.

Back