Just call me HOLIDAY BOY

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
this week has seen new rubber f/r , Hindle Titanium 4-2-1, got into some polishing today , Fri or Sat should be dyno day.
I decided to try some fast an easy polishing....
no such thing really . I had an extra master link sittin' there(I dont believe in the clip type) so I thought what the heck , lets rip that swing arm outa there . I only polished certain portions of it . Here's my reasoning . I didnt bother with the center portion , the place that is constantly bombarded with dirt , rain , etc. I want a cool lookin' ride,but dont want to spend every day cleaning . I also re-did the pilot pegs(just the upper portion) and did the pillion pegs.
Next I want to polish the frame...but only the ruff textured part... I'm tryin to do something a lil different than everyone else .
I used a four step process...instead of the 5,6,7 steps than some doods use....I'm on holiday....I got beer to drink.
I sanded the parts up to 1500 grit .
Then took the Tripoli to them.
Then buffed with some Fabulustre.
Then a hand job....no not that you perferts...
a little rub down with some Muthers ally polish.

She looks as good as if I spent hours on 'er....

wait a fuggin' second...I did spend hours on 'er...

Anyway , you cant tell it from shop job , looks good.

buff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good man,

I like the upper parts on the pilot pegs, might have to steal that one...

I have been thinking about polishing my factory cans...I figure it would be a good starter project for me, after all if I get it all wrong I will go get some bolt ons...but I was thinking as an in between step polishing the factory cans could be time well spent...Maybe crawling up inside them a bit and opening up the stock baffles a bit.

If you have any tips feel free...The swingarm and the rest look good as well...

Enjoy your time off, I don't go back to work until Monday myself. Got me about $200 worth of fireworks and I am getting ready to raise some (minor) Hell on Friday...in the spirit of things....
unclesam.gif

Later
Rev

Enjoy your time off, I don't go back to work until Monday myself.  Got me about $200 worth of fireworks and I am getting ready to raise some (minor) Hell on Friday

Later
Rev
"Raise a little hell,raise a little hell,raise a little hell"
Who sings that...its a Canadian band I think...
Its either Trooper, or ....o well...had it a second ago

Polishing yer can eh?.....you sicko....hee hee hee

Actually Rev....we are once again in tune with the universe.

Tomorrow I am/was planning to buff up my cans to a spectacular finish .

You asked for advice....ok heres mine...dont do what I'm gonna do....hee hee hee...

Actually , yer in fer a shid-load O' work , if that dunt bother ya...you'll be OK .

I'm gunna grab the air-orbital with some 120 on it for starters , I'm gunna grind off all them raised lines(I've always hated that shid)....I'll drop to 80 if I have too . Then the long climb upwards 320,600,1500,yadda yadda yadda.
Then out come the wheels an' the compounds . Get yerself a couple of wheels Rev....dont use the different compounds on the same wheels . Do you have a compressor Rev? If ya dont ya need a big drill . U need some speed...and U need some torque . Yer Sears 3/8 B&D drill MIGHT do it, but it will take a while....at least ONE or TWO sets of new brushes for yer drill . hee hee hee .
You can go with that 12 step process if ya want...
I tried it..and I'm still an alcholic...
drink.gif
juZ kiddin'...
Sand it , buff it , polish it (wash with soap an'water between each step) thats it .
It will take awhile Rev....but it will look fan-fuggin-tastic when yer dun . This is the look that actually looks the best if you ask me...twin shiny pipes...nobody's LOGO on the side,no giant CHROME thing(this aint a Harley) just an awesome set of pipes .
Lets do it Rev.....we'll post up pics tomorrow night...

In the mean time..
drink.gif
lettuce blow the froth off a couple

hav a gr8 nite my Fla. Friend .

drink.gif

Sounds like a plan...Lemme see what materials I have on hand...might need to take a trip to Sears...get me a compressor with nuf' balls to actually power some tools...I think I am game for it though.  Might have to use the Mikita Palm sander but at least that will get the wife off my back about not using it...

Have a good night, I'll post tomorrow and let ya know if I am going to get busy or if it's going to need a little forthought (More Tools)  I know I do not have any wheels or compounds I am familiar with their use so that should help.  

Later Bro...

You Said "buff up my cans to a spectacular finish ."[/QUOTE] Heh Heh...

BIGGER is better...seriously Rev...if ya really want to get into tools....buy BIG . I have a little 7 horse thing , with a little 35 somethin'....gallon tank . IT AIN'T ENUFF.
The things runnin' non-stop. Buy the biggest MO-FO compressor U can afford . Mine was a gift...thats why I love it...and ENDEAR it so . My lil' house mouse buys me tools all the time . She especially likes to buy me "shinny tools" , she has no idea what they do....but she likes the way they look.
She's actually an' awesome girl....she will go out an' talk to all these different sales people,make a decision,an' come home with a new tool for Rubber'. It's pretty cool.
For instance...I have regular wrenches.
I have "combination Wrenches"
I have "Accelerator Wrenches"...
I have "Ratcheting Wrenches"...
I have "Stubby Wrenches"...

I have an' awesome girl....is what I have...

Seriously Rev....get what you can afford...get what will work....
yer a smart boy...do a little research .

Compressors for instance...direct drive/belt drive...
oil/oil-less
small tank/big tank...

the avg tool....ya like me...an' Monsta'...hee hee hee , doesn't require a whole lot of CFM....the average tool needs 90 , maybe 110 at the most . It's the storage of the air that really matters...sure, ya want at least a 5 horse motor , but ya also want the biggest tank you can fit in yer shop.

Once you go "AIR" ....I'm tellin' ya REV , you'll never go back.

Stuck bolts on yer car....no prob,my impact gun has 650 ft lbs of torque . Wanna get that nut off that clutch basket but that damb outer is turning.....no prob . Sanding,wrenching,nailing,buffing,drilling,grinding.....the list goes on....
air tools Rev....they rarely burnout. They're not usin' hydro...so they cant burn out when ya grind 'em slow.

They just work the best....

Lemme know if ya need some help choosin'...

Or ask Monster , he knows his way around a shop ,
an' then some .
hav a good 1 Rev.....RSD.

Thanks man, I suppose air would beat doing it all by hand huh? Seriously though I think I'll be doing a little shopping tomorrow see if I come up with anything...

I may have to skip the compressor this time around though, I have a long list of things that need bought/fixed/replaced...Not fun stuff, all that usual Home/Auto stuff...Grrr.

Later

RSD to get the ridges down fast and smooth on the mufflers just use a wood stripping wheel and attach it to your drill.  I use it to do my forks ,frame and swingarm which made the process alot easier ,faster and painless on the finger .  The stripping wheel I would recommend for the cans looks like a reddish brown brillo pad attached to a stem .  I used the grey (coarse wheel)to get the heavy groove out of the swingarm rear section which faces toward the tire and it did a nice job on smoothing out this area which would had me crying like a biatch if I would have done it by hand using sand paper.  These wheels will leave a nice smooth finish when trying to cut through anodizing and rough finish>>>>>>>trust me on this>>>>forget about the grinding wheel and rough sand paper these will only leave heavy scratches which will cause more work to get them to shine.

Damn......you have time off again......I want yer job.
I think you should come over to the mainland and run a mechanical blueberry picker for the next month.....how bout it dude......all the berries you can eat.......mmmmmmm???
Bike looks great ol' boy.....don't ya jus love rubinswingarmdown
to get that fancy sheen goin on......hours of work.....but it sure pays in the end hey??
The thing bout the compressor......I only have 6 HP on mine......runs our whole shop.....makeshift paint booth, all our body tools, 4 pneumatic ratchets, impact guns up to 3/4", pneumatic grease gun, die grinders, angle grinder, and impact hammer no...not at the same time.......the secret is to have big capacity......we have a 60 gal tank on the compressor and an 80 gal from an old compressor that I hooked to it.......I've never ran out of air.......not even when working in there for the entire day.........course I don't use it none stop either.
I found that using the random orbital sander doing bodywork sucks the tanks down the fastest.....but it works good for me.
Oh yeah......buy the way........we don't wanna hear any more bout the house mouse..........just makes us jelous......a girlfriend......er.....almost wife that brings tools home.......like I said before........way to good fer the likes of yer.. rubberfacedfrown.
Have an awesome holiday dude.......sorry we didn't make it over on the weekend.
Give my regards to the li'l house mouse hey.
Bill

RSD to get the ridges down fast and smooth on the mufflers just use a wood stripping wheel and attach it to your drill.  I use it to do my forks ,frame and swingarm which made the process alot easier ,faster and painless on the finger .  The stripping wheel I would recommend for the cans looks like a reddish brown brillo pad attached to a stem .  I used the grey (coarse wheel)to get the heavy groove out of the swingarm rear section which faces toward the tire and it did a nice job on smoothing out this area which would had me crying like a biatch if I would have done it by hand using sand paper.  These wheels will leave a nice smooth finish when trying to cut through anodizing and rough finish>>>>>>>trust me on this>>>>forget about the grinding wheel and rough sand paper these will only leave heavy scratches which will cause more work to get them to shine.
good advice Rythm...I'll get my butt out an' pick me up a couple of those to add to the arsenal .

Damn......you have time off again......I want yer job.
I think you should come over to the mainland and run a mechanical blueberry picker for the next month.....how bout it dude......all the berries you can eat.......mmmmmmm???
I dont know about the berry pickin thing....but....I could be the guy who goes an' gets the beer .

Now if you were to turn that Busa of yers into the worlds fastest combine....I might be interested in makin' a few passes.
Have a good day there Billy-Bob Busa.

good advice Rythm...I'll get my butt out an' pick me up a couple of those to add to the arsenal . [/QUOTE]

Yeah!!! Better than picking berries and will do betta job
laugh.gif

good advice Rythm...I'll get my butt out an' pick me up a couple of those to add to the arsenal .

Yeah!!! Better than picking berries and will do betta job
laugh.gif
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Rhythm, I was going to try to use a palm sander, using the stripping wheels makes a lot of sense and should save me a ton of time. Then I suppose I can use the Palm sander to work my way through some paper grits before polishing...

Thanks...

Just make sure you keep the orbital moving>>>>>you dont want any flat spots.    You'll really wont need any machine tools after using the stripping wheels  because the wheel  will have done all the hard work and all that is remaining primarly is wet sanding to take out the light surface scratches.   I started wetsanding with 300 grit and up!

I just modified these steps found here in this link break out the elbow grease

Great, thanks a lot Rhythm. I was fine with the cans until I saw the polished ones and now I have to go to the store and spend money on polishing wheels and some more tools so I can sit in my garage all weekend making those ugly bastards look good while my girlfriend will be %*%^$#ing about how much time I spend working on the bike and not spending it with her and then we will get into a fight and I will have to go buy roses and candies and spend the next week massaging her feet to make up for it and its all because you had to post a link on how to make the stock cans actually look nice but it won't end there I will have to polish the swingarm the frame the rearsets the pillion pegs and probably every fuggin bolt on the bike which at that point I will be all alone in the world and most likely an alcoholic.

Hope this makes you happy. Pimp on Pimp

Great, thanks a lot Rhythm. I was fine with the cans until I saw the polished ones and now I have to go to the store and spend money on polishing wheels and some more tools so I can sit in my garage all weekend making those ugly bastards look good while my girlfriend will be %*%^$#ing about how much time I spend working on the bike and not spending it with her and then we will get into a fight and I will have to go buy roses and candies and spend the next week massaging her feet to make up for it and its all because you had to post a link on how to make the stock cans actually look nice but it won't end there I will have to polish the swingarm the frame the rearsets the pillion pegs and probably every fuggin bolt on the bike which at that point I will be all alone in the world and most likely an alcoholic.
[/QUOTE]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Dont hate the Playa!!! Hate the game!!!!
laugh.gif

When I called my girl and told her that I had just wrecked on the Busa and it seemed totaled >>>>>>>Lets just say the "tearz" were for joy that I wont be spending any time with her (Busa) for the next couple of weekendz. So guess I'll be rubbn toez until. Its all good though just keepn it gully.

Just to mention I would only polish the large (forks,frame and swingarmm) item on the bike and chrome all the small pieces. Theres alot of maint involved with the upkeep;but besure to wax and seal to keep the water spot down to a min if you get caught in the rain.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back