Just bought my second Busa

Nisch

Registered
So about a year ago, I had bought a 2008, Blue/Gold, used, 9000 miles. I really loved it, but after taking a trip to Laughlin (from Phoenix), I realized I needed a better bike for road trips. I traded in the Busa in on a 2010 Harley Ultra Limited, fully loaded, power tuned, pipes, etc.

While the Harley is great for the trips, it's not so good for around-town, and severely lacking in power and sportiness.

I noticed my old bike was still at the dealership (well another branch, but same parent company) about two months ago. I went and looked at it, but bought the wife a 2007 BMW M6 instead. I figured if it was there after 8 months, it will probably be there a bit longer.

So after filing taxes and writing a big check to the IRS, I decided to go treat myself, and actually was going to go buy back my 2008 Busa, which the dealership still had as of the 22nd of this month as shown in an ad on Craigslist (slow sales year, as all the Busas they had were still there after almost a year).

I went to the bank, took out the cash, plus a couple thousand more, just in case. Turns out they sold my old bike less than a week ago :banghead:

They did have some of the limited edition red 2012's in stock at a really good price, 0 miles, $10,950. They wanted $10,260 for my old one.

Now I have both a Hayabusa AND a Harley. They each have their purpose, so I'm happy. Ordered a pair of Akrapovic carbon slip ons, double bubble ZG screen, fender eliminator, heli bars, soupy's riser, GSXR mirrors, so I'll have it back to where my old one was (except it had polished Yosh RS3 slip ons).

Here's a pic from the morning after I brought it home from the dealership:

2012Hayabusa1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bashing here... Been riding 40 plus years... their are much better bikes for the money than Harleys though they do keep improving... One nice touring bike with a some torque is a Valkyrie. While its no Busa it sure does have some power. My only complaints are not enough lean angle and only 5 gears... It coulld really use another gear with all that torque. I also like the straight cut gears.. gear whine as you run up through the gears is music to me. Ride one sometime and see if you like it... you might be suprised. Last year built was 2002 and most of them I see are well taken care of. Gold Wing motor on steroids with more cam and fuel already dialed in from the start. Just an idea for you...

Not bashing here... Been riding 40 plus years... their are much better bikes for the money than Harleys though they do keep improving... One nice touring bike with a some torque is a Valkyrie. While its no Busa it sure does have some power. My only complaints are not enough lean angle and only 5 gears... It coulld really use another gear with all that torque. I also like the straight cut gears.. gear whine as you run up through the gears is music to me. Ride one sometime and see if you like it... you might be suprised. Last year built was 2002 and most of them I see are well taken care of. Gold Wing motor on steroids with more cam and fuel already dialed in from the start. Just an idea for you...

Well I think that's all subjective and a matter of opinion. For a cruiser, I wanted an American-made bike. I like the way the Harley looks and rides. I know there is a big divide between Harley owners and sportbike/sport touring owners, but I happen to like both. For my height (6'4"), the Goldwing doesn't fit me, and I wanted a full dresser for long road trips. I rented a Harley Ultra Limited for a day before buying mine. Plus, HD has been 100% trouble free. They have come a long ways and are really not as "bad" as some people tend to think. Are there more modern styled bikes? Absolutely. Are there some bikes with more amenities? Absolutely. But there is something about riding a Harley that you just don't get with a Valkyrie, not to mention the Valkyrie isn't a bagger like my HD. While you can add bags, I was after a specific style.

The HD has a classic look, which I like:

harley4.jpg

Congrats on the new ride, no problem with trying different bikes and getting what fits your style and riding needs.

Well I think that's all subjective and a matter of opinion. For a cruiser, I wanted an American-made bike. I like the way the Harley looks and rides. I know there is a big divide between Harley owners and sportbike/sport touring owners, but I happen to like both. For my height (6'4"), the Goldwing doesn't fit me, and I wanted a full dresser for long road trips. I rented a Harley Ultra Limited for a day before buying mine. Plus, HD has been 100% trouble free. They have come a long ways and are really not as "bad" as some people tend to think. Are there more modern styled bikes? Absolutely. Are there some bikes with more amenities? Absolutely. But there is something about riding a Harley that you just don't get with a Valkyrie, not to mention the Valkyrie isn't a bagger like my HD. While you can add bags, I was after a specific style.

The HD has a classic look, which I like:

harley4.jpg

As long as your happy with it... that is all that matters. I have ridden ( not owned ) many Harleys because I was curious for the experience. I wanted to see what the craving /addiction ( like the power of a Busa ) of a Harley was about. I have also ridden the stroker S & S offerings along with the Boss Hoss. In the end I prefer the efficiency and bang for the buck other bikes offer. However... my hat is off to Harley Davidson for being the marketing genius to take a Hells Angel image and make it mainstream coolness. All manufacturers make a few lemons... a friend of mine ended up with a 100% refund on an 05 Road King because it had so many problems that required downtime in the shop. I am sure that is the exception, not the rule. So, to each his own. Glad your happy with for that is the purpose of life... to become happy with your lifes experiences in whatever form they come. I am noticing at 60 years of age I don't whack the throttle as often as I use to... hell, maybe I will end up on a Harley one day because I like the slowness of it all... more time to enjoy the ride!
I still have to power addiction though... its going o be a while before I notch it down significantly.

I still suggest a Valkyrie with bags... They are super smooth and handle well up to the lean angle... which isn't enough. Ride one if you get a chance just for the experience.

Yeah I like that PPG paint. Pretty spendy stuff though. If I get another set of plastics/tank, then I actually thought about matching the two bikes.

Got the exhaust delivered last night. Was able to put it on after the kids went to bed:

Congrats on your new Busa , It's nice to have the best of both world's !! I had to give up riding Busa's and went the Harley route and bought a 2012 Street Glide . Love the Touring on a Harley and wouldn't trade it for anything . Great buy

image.jpg

Back