Just bought my 1999 busa

TINMAN

Registered
Just bought a 1999 busa in copper / silver. It has done 9000 miles here in the uk. Had a cbr600fx before which was very reliable and serviced myself up to 30k before I got rid.

Can I expect the same from by new baby ( already know about the tyre issue but thought it was worth that one ! )

Looking forward to all comments.

Tinman ( uk )

workin on over 20k miles and I can say, look at the cam chain tensioner, and as of right now, LOOK AT THE STARTER CASE!!! I just got mine back from the shop and the case on the motor broke. I had to have it weilded and a pin added. Other than that, its all good!

you bot a 99...you poor bastid....

O' christ....where do I begin...

amazing I feel for you man....

SELL IT....SELL IT QWIK....

Welcome to the board. You should be fine but I would make sure that the cam chain tensioner recall has been done. Call Suzuki and they can tell you. 714-572-1490

Critical issues:

Cam chain tensioner - see the right side engine below throttle cables, it should have an oil line going into the tensioner located there
Fuel pump - You can bypass the internal filter and replace it with an inline filter, BUT the pump WILL fail eventually. Replace the pump with a 2000 model
Wiring harness - Check with the dealer for your serial number. If something stops working, check the wires for anything melted.

Possible trouble spots:

Rear subframe - Some break. Get some braces or replace with a 2001+ steel subframe if you carry a lot and are worried.
Rear stator-generator connector - The ground sometimes melts loose, causing battery drain while running, especially if you run a higher load. Replace with a heavier duty connector or just solder directly.

Other than that, you should have no problems. Upgrade to the 2002/2003 clutch to improve it. Costs like $30 and takes less than an hour to do.

:thumbsup:

It really depends on the bike. I think most of the main items of not have been addressed in other replies. Like you I just bought a 99 a couple of months ago. It appears my troubles have been mainly the result of the previous owner. The bike runs strong, very strong compared to the others mainly stock busas I've encoutered. However, the bike always seems to be a project waiting to happen :sad: Thank goodness for ebay.

I just blew a for seal an grabed some used forks to get me through while I have mine revalved, of course this means I have to do the same to the rear :cussing:

In the process of changing the forks I discovered that one of the caliper bolts was completely cross threaded and froze in place. Had to drill out the entire bolt after breaking two ez outs. I now have a couple of calipers on order.

This is after hunting down several leaks and other issues. Over all though the bike has not left me stranded nor has it failed to perform.

Best of luck and count on lost of advice from the board. Some is even uesful

I hope it is a good year because I think I found mine... A 1999 model Black/Grey with 2500 miles on it!!!!!!!!!!

Back