just bought a arai re entry and dont like.

rob t

Registered
thought i would get me a new lid. and went for a quantum re enrty.flames and all.cost 310 shipped through ebay.just not right for my shoei head.so guess what im wearing.the old rf900 again!!DAMIT WASTED MONEY.anybody want a BRAND NEW ARAI CHEAP?

I ordered a new Arai Astral at the Wahsington DC bike show last winter and prefer my Shoei RF900, too. The shield on mine has to be closed or very nearly closed or I have a loud wind whistle - you cannot ride with the shield open.

By the way, if you follow the instructions for removing the side panels that cover the shield hardware, you WILL break the mounting tabs off of them. My dealer replaced mine at no charge due to the manual being incorrect (you DO NOT rotate the device that you insert into the red clips to release the panels).

Ed

rob t what don't you like about the Aria? The reason I ask is I went from a HJC to a Fulmer (didn't like it) to a Shoei. I looked at the Aria but went Shoei. The Shoei is the best fitting helmet I've had on my head. The HJC was a close second. The HJC was quieter but not as comfortable on my head.

sorry my wife put it on ebay and its already got a 200$ bid.the thing that i didnt like about it is, i have to lift my head to see out of the shield when im in position on my bike.with the shoei all i have to do is lift my eyes.(look up some)can keep my head down and foward .the field of vision is narrower on the arai. and from the crown to the top of the opening is deeper.the arai site said its comparable in fit and it is.but you can really tell the difference in head lift in tuck.i guess my head above the eyebrow isnt big enough lol. thank god i didnt sell the shoei.can ride all day with it my neck hurt in about a hour with the arai.

I just got an Arai. Hate it. No better than my $99 HJC elcheapo! Actualyl worse - same comfort level, and the vents on the top catch wind at 120 plus and cause drag!!!!!and Arai was $400. I'm goin Shoei for my next one too!

You Are All High!  
smile.gif
 WWJD, Your Vents are causing Drag?  THATS THEIR JOB, you know, collect AIR!  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You all are funny....   Arai makes the best helmets on the planet, but you do need to make certain that you can find a shell shape that fits you.  Arai has about 3 differen't shapes...  Shoei makes good helmets but from a ventilation, light weight, and quality of fit... I'll pic my Arai over my Shoei everyday.  

I would say in general Arai more than any other helmet must be fit properly to work.  HJC, and alot of the other cheap helmets fit OK at best regardless of how perfectly sized it is.  With Arai though, if you get the wrong size or shell shape your going to be suffering, so make certain you get it sized properly...  when you do, nothing fits better or remains as comfortable for as long...

Vents creating drag....   WWJD...  Your a funny guy...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086503319 -->

laugh.gif

Revlis wrote: "With Arai though, if you get the wrong size or shell shape your going to be suffering, so make certain you get it sized properly... when you do, nothing fits better or remains as comfortable for as long..."

True with out a doubt. However that's the same with any helmet. It needs to fit your melon properly or you'll hate the helmet regardless of the brand.

I love my Arai RX7-RR4 BUT I've only rode with Arai for the last 8 or 10 years so I can't really comment on any thing else...Although my RX7 fits and feels better than my Quantum or Signet by far...I also would have thought about buying your Arai....Good luck with your next Helmet purchace.....And be COOL...
cool.gif

You Are All High!
smile.gif
WWJD, Your Vents are causing Drag? THATS THEIR JOB, you know, collect AIR!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Vents creating drag.... WWJD... Your a funny guy...
dude, have you ridden a helmet with no vents sticking out of the top past 150? The crap HJC i have is so glass like smooth compared to the vented Arai it's just sad. Keep in mind these are not IN the helmet, but ON the helmet, sticking up to catch air. It sucks. I didn't think a thing about it picking it up... I just thought "OOOOOH!!! Arai!! All the ads of racers in Sportrider show them wearing Arai so I should love it!" It fits my pointy head okay, I'm just disappointed in feel. NO better padding than my $99 HJC, WORSE areodynamics, .... no, I'm not bitter... I'll put my cash in a quiet, comfy, larger viewing shielded Shoei next time.
PS, I don't theenk I'm high, but I was just breathing some rather strong cleaning chemicals and I think the pink elephants have finally gone to sleep atop the purple 20 foot dandelions growing in my apartment. shhhhhh

laugh.gif

i guess its what feels right .but i do agree with wwjd sometimes the cheap ones are better.discreet007 swears bye arai.so i tried it.guess im gonna lose about 100 bucks in trying.

Regarding the comments about a helmet having to be fit to you properly to be comfortable - that's very true, of course, but to my knowledge, you can't buy an Arai without a dealer fitting you. Mine fits well and is comfortable, but as I mentioned above, the wind whistle will drive you nuts with the vents open or closed unless the shield is closed or close to it.

My next one will be an RF-1000.

Ed

That is what I was told yesterday. You get fitted for an Arai. It appears there is a Arai rep locally who travels to all the events and what not and he was explaining how they (Arai) work and sell helmets. Sounds first class all the way. I'll have to check them out in Daytona this October.

Points very well taken. This is actually the very first time that I've heard anything negative about the Arai's. Hmmmm! Oh well, I currently have two Shoei's (RF900) and they are simply fantabulous. No problems here. I was/am looking at either an Arai or the Shoei RF1000 as my third helmet.

Brian

my Arai FITS great. It's the lack of decent foam padding and wind catching vents that irk me. but im sure it's a s good as any other helmet. I've worn better than THIS model. as long as me noggin gets protected just in case

my Arai FITS great.  It's the lack of decent foam padding and wind catching vents that irk me.  but im sure it's a s good as any other helmet.  I've worn better than THIS model. as long as me noggin gets protected just in case
WIND CATCHING VENTS?
rock.gif
DUDE ROFL.... You really are high! Your Honestly going to tell me that you can feel the difference in Drag from the VENTS?
smile.gif
He he... Um... I think your being a little strange here bro... You have a finely tuned set of neck muscles if your serious.... What I will offer up is that Arai's ventilation really works, if you get more drag well that would be a penalty I would gladly pay...

Now then, SHOEI Offers a Wider FOV?
smile.gif
Now I know you have some sorta Arai vendeta going here... The FOV for the two are nearly identical, The Shoei visor with the hardware under neath may give the impression of wider FOV but they are identical...

Noise? I will say that Arai may be a little noisier than Shoei but your wearing earplugs all the time anyway right? RIGHT? You should, if your not your going to damage your hearing eventually. No joke, regardless of who's helmet your wearing...

Bottom line really is that Shoei and Arai are both good helmets, I prefer my Arai over my Shoei because of the smaller shell, lighter weight and superior fit. But I would still buy either one if I were looking, though I would be looking at Arai a little harder...

Drag because of vents.... he he he.... Your Killen me WWJD...

Maybe you got a counterfit Arai?

smile.gif

Arai is the best helmet you can buy, period. So you guys either totally got a shape that does not fit your head or you got scammed with a cheap copy.

Shoei is also a quality lid but I just cannot belive that anyone would ever say anything negative about an Arai (other than they are louder than Shoei, so what - wear plugs).

Fit and function supreme, quality bar none - Arai rules folks. Try a different model and never buy mail order unless you have already tried the exact model and size because Aria's all fit different to fit different heads. You cannot guess.

Quantum F - size L for me!!!

And the "drag" you are referring to is likely the result of an ill fitting helmet getting jacked around on your head in the wind, not the vents. They are way too small to cause noticeable "drag", only small inlets that allow air to enter the helmet in conjuntion with the rear "wing inlets" that form negative pressure that causes more air to be drawn thru the helmet- just as designed.

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086640010 -->

[
WIND CATCHING VENTS?
rock.gif
DUDE ROFL.... You really are high! Your Honestly going to tell me that you can feel the difference in Drag from the VENTS?
smile.gif
He he... Um... I think your being a little strange here bro... You have a finely tuned set of neck muscles if your serious.... What I will offer up is that Arai's ventilation really works, if you get more drag well that would be a penalty I would gladly pay...

Now then, SHOEI Offers a Wider FOV?
smile.gif
Now I know you have some sorta Arai vendeta going here... The FOV for the two are nearly identical, The Shoei visor with the hardware under neath may give the impression of wider FOV but they are identical...
Drag because of vents.... he he he.... Your Killen me WWJD...

Maybe you got a counterfit Arai?
no, I'm totally serious. I probablly do one very highspeed run everytime I go fun riding and little changes make a differnece in comfort level. first day with the Arai, I noticed the tugging on my head from the Arai. I'm not gonna sell you on it, just try it yourself and you will see. The vents are a great idea and do work wonderfully, but I would prefer to sweat and cut my drag coeffecient instead.
smile.gif
I bet MONEY you will notice the difference.
FOV: I saw in an ad Shoei mentioned having a larger field of view, and I have already thought of that and wondered why nobody makes a bigger shield? I'm sure integrity is compromised, but heck, have a shield at ALL is compromising integrity. I haven't looked into the truth in their ads but suspect it's true.

All said, to me, the Shoei has more COMFORTABLE padding, quieter interior, lower price, it's the better product for myself. Not for others, just me and my pointy head.
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

AND ANOTHER THING!.... [ooh this feels good] I find that although the shield seems to sit properly aginst it's rubber gasket seating when closed, it is not air tight like my el cheapo was, which will make inter rides rather chilly. I suppose it helps defog having that -30 degree air whipping in there, but my face and eye balls are going to hate it. I aint 'hatin', it's just a product that didn't work out for me like I thoguht after constantly hearing peeps spouting, "Arai is the BEST helmet on the market" etc etc
Here's the guilty unit in question: Arai Signet / GTR
So, you alls thinkin I be stinkin up da house dissin Arai, I gots ta say you Arai... ain't all that [snap- snap!} HA! Word.
smile.gif

signetgtr.jpg

Back