Just a question to see if it's just me that is crazy.

Odin

Registered
Ok a female friend of mine pulls in the driveway with her new car. It's a 2018 hellcat.
She says here is the keys lets go for a ride, you drive. So I head out to the turnpike. It's a pretty clear road, I start to go a little fast, meaning I just start to get a feel.

She says oh no no. Seems her insurance agent had a device installed in the car prior to it even leaving the lot to tell about fast acceleration or exceeding top speeds.
I asked then why even buy such a car with 700+HP, she says she likes to rev the engine at stop lights to other high performance car owners to let them know she could beat them, it's enough just to know you have the power under the hood.

So question is it just me who would have to take it out and max the speed at least once, or has society changed so much we just are satisfied that we could.

IMG_20190106_130526.jpg

There are two kinds of people when it comes to vehicle performance. Ones like your friend, and the rest of us. I wring the neck of every performance vehicle I drive or ride. That's just how it is. All my friends know it, and they're the same way. I'll respect your vehicle, but it's gonna get run hard.

I wouldn't need to take it to top speed, but I do like to test acceleration. If she bought a hellcat and installed that stupid OBD2 insurance monitor then thats just a huge fail. Might as well have gone with the 6 cyl version. Also, hellcats are quiet stock, tell her to change the exhaust if she wants to feel like she can beat others LOL

That is the weirdest thing i've ever heard.
First I didnt know that such devices excist, and second why would you buy a car like that just to "rev it " on a red light....
Women...just dont make sense!

That was my sentiment when I got home. Why buy the car to rev it and women don't make sense.

Our discussion on the way home was how I always try to push a vehicle too fast when it has power. My stance was yeah, that is the point of having the power. I don't push all the time and rarely on the street , but would have loved to take it up to about a 100MPH , maybe go to the track someday and take it all out. However can't with her insurance monitor ...seems Slowstang305 is familiar with it. I would never install such crap on my vehicle, big brother's next step I guess.

These devices are what insurance companies use to negotiate cheaper rates. A friend of mine had one in his Boss Mustang in order to afford the insurance..it used to drain his battery if he didn't drive it for a while....

That was my sentiment when I got home. Why buy the car to rev it and women don't make sense.

Our discussion on the way home was how I always try to push a vehicle too fast when it has power. My stance was yeah, that is the point of having the power. I don't push all the time and rarely on the street , but would have loved to take it up to about a 100MPH , maybe go to the track someday and take it all out. However can't with her insurance monitor ...seems Slowstang305 is familiar with it. I would never install such crap on my vehicle, big brother's next step I guess.
Yeah, insurance companies give it to people to gauge how they are driving. If you drive like grandma they will lower your insurance but if you drive like a bobo they will probably drop you. Its also completely OPTIONAL so who the hell knows why she wanted it.

Even the vehicles today have those "black boxes" to track steering, acceleration and braking in the case of an accident so those insurance boxes seem to be useless to me.

The insurance companies have found a way to access vehicle data without an accident or court order by convincing people to voluntarily give it to them under the impression of lower rates. Think about it for a minute, why would they want to make themselves less money? Obviously this is yet another tool for them to screw customers. Oh you have a claim? Sorry, you have a habit of driving over the speed limit, we're not paying.

Or a person who has a clean license can't insure bike "X" because it has an "R" in it's name...
My '86 Katana was deemed a Super Sport and I had a real challenge insuring that. One time I took it to the insurance company and showed the underwriter...He said it looked like a normal bike to him and I got insurance...

Obviously this is yet another tool for them to screw customers. Oh you have a claim? Sorry, you have a habit of driving over the speed limit, we're not paying.

I was thinking even more, gives them a mini psych profile of you with your driving habits, like when I have a clear road I like give the Hayabusa some gas, no harm in it in my mind if the road is clear. Completely different if I did the same thing weaving in and out of traffic, but the device won't take that in account. However some people like my friend would argue that is still irresponsible for an adult. Probably why she has only been a friend the last 7 years, lol.

Imagine them giving the profile back and forth between companies maybe even health insurance companies in the future putting you as an accident risk for your high speed driving. Guess it will never stop.

Your two examples of folks reminds me of what we have been calling those bike riders that buy a busa because its a busa... Poser!

You get the car for the total performance package not because you can pull up and show people how much money you have. If that was the case it would be a whole lot cheaper to just hold your checkbook up and let them see your balance while you drive your Chevy Cruz.

I was thinking even more, gives them a mini psych profile of you with your driving habits, like when I have a clear road I like give the Hayabusa some gas, no harm in it in my mind if the road is clear. Completely different if I did the same thing weaving in and out of traffic, but the device won't take that in account. However some people like my friend would argue that is still irresponsible for an adult. Probably why she has only been a friend the last 7 years, lol.

Imagine them giving the profile back and forth between companies maybe even health insurance companies in the future putting you as an accident risk for your high speed driving. Guess it will never stop.
Agreed completely.

No such laws here regarding insurance devices but yeah if I had a car like that I would occasionally use that 700 horses :thumbsup:
Is not a law. They offer that to people and some drivers actually go for it. Can you imagine the insurance rate on busas if people installed those tracking devices and then forgot it was there for just a few seconds? Lol!

No such laws here regarding insurance devices but yeah if I had a car like that I would occasionally use that 700 horses :thumbsup:
I have seen these a couple of times and they were for a short specified time, not for the duration of the policy. In fact my brother has one now in his I30 and gives it back this week, or maybe last week. It beeps every once in a while when levels are "excessive" like when an old lady pulled out in front of him. He gets a discount at the end of the first six months.

Poser lol. That describes me to a T
I just love the look. The form follows function of the plastic The two tone paint ( I am thinking a red and white jacket is in my future ) The bakes that say Brembo if it ever seen 100 mph other than a drag strip I'll be shocked at my audacity
But all that aside. I love my bike because in no small way It's a freaking Hayabusa ! :)

Back