Just a few shots from last weekend

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
The car fire was only a few minutes after we got on the freeway and I barely had time to get the camera out.

Enjoy the few pics I took, the weather was the finest I have ever seen here in Socal, and that is saying a lot. I will try to get more this weekend
Thank you,
Bubba

IMG_8421.JPG

IMG_8423.JPG

IMG_8425.JPG

IMG_8426.JPG

IMG_8427.JPG

IMG_8449.JPG

IMG_8450.JPG

IMG_8451.JPG

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8459.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8475.JPG

IMG_8484.JPG

IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8489.JPG

IMG_8494.JPG

LAKESCAPE.jpg

Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Are those your Siberian's? They are very pretty and BIG.

Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Are those your Siberian's? They are very pretty and BIG.

Yes, those are my Sibes, they are only about 40-45 lbs, But they can pull like a Mac truck. I have never seen such pulling strength pound for pound.

PS I am still looking for the Alaska shots for you.
Bubba

Yes, those are my Sibes, they are only about 40-45 lbs, But they can pull like a Mac truck. I have never seen such pulling strength pound for pound.

PS I am still looking for the Alaska shots for you.
Bubba

SWEET. Thank you.
My Aunt raises them at her Kennel in Aptos up by Santa Cruz. She is also a judge for the AKC as well. We have had many of them adn Golden Retrievers. Both are great dogs.

love the pix, the puppys look like they would be a blast to play with :thumbsup:

Now that car fire seems like you are just driving past? ??? seems like excellent traffic control from the CHP, I would imagine that thing could give quite the show once the fire hit the tank :whistle:

Looks like a nice trip. Too bad the fireworks weren't at the end though.

Looks like a nice trip. Too bad the fireworks weren't at the end though.

Fireworks were right after the fireplace shot:laugh:

Did you notice the last shot is photo stitched using Canon's software that was bundled with the Camera. I don't have a wide angle lens so I have to lock exposure and stitch them. I am in the market for a super wide angle or a 5D with full sized sensor.
Any other suggestions? I really need to improve my landscape pics.

Last edited:
I love the first 5! nothing like a good CAR-B-Q !

did you hang around and watch the tires explode? or the bumpers? those are really the only thing that explode on a car fire. very cool to see.

Oh wow!~ I miss my Siberian. RIP Sulako :down:
They are the best dogs! So funny how they liven up the colder it gets. Then when they sleep they curl up and use their tail to keep their face warm. LOL

Nice pics Bubba. That car is about as ablaze as I I've ever seen. Drive by and roast some marshmallows. :whistle:
Is it me or is the pic of the lake at the end look very low?

Oh wow!~ I miss my Siberian. RIP Sulako :down:
They are the best dogs! So funny how they liven up the colder it gets. Then when they sleep they curl up and use their tail to keep their face warm. LOL

Nice pics Bubba. That car is about as ablaze as I I've ever seen. Drive by and roast some marshmallows. :whistle:
Is it me or is the pic of the lake at the end look very low?

No, that lake rarely changes. It is very small and this is about as low as it ever gets, and only gets a little higher in the spring.
I love my Huskies, and it was fun to wear them out that day, it only took 2.5 hours of hiking to knock them out for a few moments.:laugh:

Just more great pics from the photo king!! Are the photos from your cabin in Big Bear? :beerchug:

Almost Big Bear, it is actually Lake Gregory in Crestline, about an hour south of BB.
Thanks,
Bubba

Fireworks were right after the fireplace shot:laugh:

Did you notice the last shot is photo stitched using Canon's software that was bundled with the Camera. I don't have a wide angle lens so I have to lock exposure and stitch them. I am in the market for a super wide angle or a 5D with full sized sensor.
Any other suggestions? I really need to improve my landscape pics.

I'm curious why you chose f7 to shoot the tree/valley/mountain landscape? It appears the light was good enough to allow a shot handheld at least at f16, and perhaps at f22. I ask because it doesn't appear you have a foreground object in this shot you really wanted to draw our attention to. Smaller apertures (bigger f-numbers) will sacrifice maximum sharpness in a small area of the photo for increased overall sharpness throughout all the photo. In other words, those tree branches on the left might be less sharp at f16 than at f7 (I'm not certain where exactly you focused the camera for this image), but the mountain in the background would be sharper.

I find the small bit of tree branch in the upper left corner distracting. You might find it's a little stronger composition after cleaning that up with the clone stamp tool in Photoshop. This may sound nitpicky, but these are the things that can take one's photography up another level.

The panorama shot is too small to really see how good the quality is in the stitching. There are a couple of things that could improve it though. One is lighting...where ultimately all photography begins. The heavy shadows covering the foreground (I can only assume it's a beach) detract from the composition. I don't know if there's a different time of day that would allow this section to be lit or not. If not, I would suggest composing the shot in such a way that the heavy shadows are not part of the image.

There also are a couple of vehicles in the panorama...distracting (again, for me) from the purpose of a landscape shot. I'd either crop that portion completely, or more likely, since I like the overall balance of the image, I'd probably sit down and see if there was a way I could clone those items out or cover them with additional foliage taken from either the same image or a different one.

What exposure metering setting are you using? From the photos of the birds, it appears you are allowing the camera to meter the entire scene. In some cases this is okay (it works for the photo of your dog sleeping). In the shots of the bird flying it works against you somewhat. Because the water is the brightest object in the photo, the camera has metered on that because it didn't know the real subject in the photo was the bird.

Again, better light on the subject would have helped, but something you might try in the future is switching your camera to spot metering mode and taking a reading on just your subject. This technique probably works best in full manual mode on subjects that are centered in the frame. Of course centering your subject in the frame is generally faux pas, tending to make your photos look like amateur snapshots.

The way I do it (in full manual mode) is meter my subject using spot metering in the center of the lense. This allows me to get my settings correct for the exposure I want. Then I focus (using center point focus only) on whatever I've decided is to be the sharpest part of the image. While holding the shutter button halfway down to keep the focus locked where I wanted it I recompose the image in the viewfinder. Only then do I take the photo.

Obviously this works best for slow-moving or stationary objects. Try it and see what you think.

Always keep in mind that without good light, there can be no good photo.

Last edited:
I'm curious why you chose f7 to shoot the tree/valley/mountain landscape? It appears the light was good enough to allow a shot handheld at least at f16, and perhaps at f22. I ask because it doesn't appear you have a foreground object in this shot you really wanted to draw our attention to. Smaller apertures (bigger f-numbers) will sacrifice maximum sharpness in a small area of the photo for increased overall sharpness throughout all the photo. In other words, those tree branches on the left might be less sharp at f16 than at f7 (I'm not certain where exactly you focused the camera for this image), but the mountain in the background would be sharper.

I find the small bit of tree branch in the upper left corner distracting. You might find it's a little stronger composition after cleaning that up with the clone stamp tool in Photoshop. This may sound nitpicky, but these are the things that can take one's photography up another level.

The panorama shot is too small to really see how good the quality is in the stitching. There are a couple of things that could improve it though. One is lighting...where ultimately all photography begins. The heavy shadows covering the foreground (I can only assume it's a beach) detract from the composition. I don't know if there's a different time of day that would allow this section to be lit or not. If not, I would suggest composing the shot in such a way that the heavy shadows are not part of the image.

There also are a couple of vehicles in the panorama...distracting (again, for me) from the purpose of a landscape shot. I'd either crop that portion completely, or more likely, since I like the overall balance of the image, I'd probably sit down and see if there was a way I could clone those items out or cover them with additional foliage taken from either the same image or a different one.

What exposure metering setting are you using? From the photos of the birds, it appears you are allowing the camera to meter the entire scene. In some cases this is okay (it works for the photo of your dog sleeping). In the shots of the bird flying it works against you somewhat. Because the water is the brightest object in the photo, the camera has metered on that because it didn't know the real subject in the photo was the bird.

Again, better light on the subject would have helped, but something you might try in the future is switching your camera to spot metering mode and taking a reading on just your subject. This technique probably works best in full manual mode on subjects that are centered in the frame. Of course centering your subject in the frame is generally faux pas, tending to make your photos look like amateur snapshots.

The way I do it (in full manual mode) is meter my subject using spot metering in the center of the lense. This allows me to get my settings correct for the exposure I want. Then I focus (using center point focus only) on whatever I've decided is to be the sharpest part of the image. While holding the shutter button halfway down to keep the focus locked where I wanted it I recompose the image in the viewfinder. Only then do I take the photo.

Obviously this works best for slow-moving or stationary objects. Try it and see what you think.

Always keep in mind that without good light, there can be no good photo.

Thanks for the critique, I really need to work on my composition.
Many of the shots were taken with a dog pulling on my arms while we were hiking, no excuses for bad photoging.:laugh:
Forgot to ask Bubba...what lenses do you currently have?

The only lens I had that weekend was a 28-135 IS variable fstop 3.5 - 5.6.
It is my utility lens and is okay, but not my fav. My best lenses are my 70-200 L 2.8 and my 100 2.0. Nice glass and when I use those I am really trying to get the shots and work a little harder and use Manual mode.

Here are some examples.

The baseball shot is my godson taken with a Sigma 50-500mm 4.0 - 6.3 fstop.

The eagle was with the 70-200 f2.8
I know the blurred branch in the foreground may ruin the shot, but I am not that good in Photoshop to eliminate it and even if I was, I don't like to change photos too much after the shot. Just a lag over from film days.
Thanks again, and I really do appreciate the comments.:beerchug:
Bubba

IMG_2359 8 BY 10 CROP2.jpg

BRUTUS_2282.jpg

I wish I could take pics that good... must need better camera :laugh: in the mean time.. I can at least play with good shots huh?

eagle.jpg

Last edited:
Back