Judgement Day

I sure hope things well for her and they put this guy away before he does kill someone. Seems to me more states should adapt the VA laws on this. JMO

Haven't kept up with it but mandatory 24 hrs after arrest, fines and times are way up there, and you have to carry SR 22 insurance for 5 years which is basically a thousand dollar deductible , solely liability insurance that runs about 5K / year. The penalties and fines get worse each time within a 10 year period. The law is written by trial lawyers for trial lawyers. Most of them know the ends and outs of the laws and hire a lawyer. Hard to convict. You have to mirandize them on contact, perform field sobriety test, transport to detention center, mirandize again, wait 20 minutes and offer BAC test. All of it better be on video. If it even gets to trial, usually ends in pre-trial motions because something wasn't just perfect, but if it does make it to trial, it's a jury trial and that's a 50/50 deal before the case is heard.

i just watched a show on TV i think it was espn about some ex football player that’s had like 6 dwi's, and i think one manslaughter charge and still gets to be out in general public, our system's have failed, sometimes i think court only protects the guilty and not the inocent:banghead: i really hope things go well for her.

I see in our local paper all the time (they post all the arrests in our small town paper) "DUI (2nd, 5th, 6th)" etc....

I think its a lot like child molesters - they will never stop until they kill themselves or someone else.

i just watched a show on TV i think it was espn about some ex football player that’s had like 6 dwi's, and i think one manslaughter charge and still gets to be out in general public, our system's have failed, sometimes i think court only protects the guilty and not the inocent:banghead: i really hope things go well for her.

IMHO Victims are no longer considered in our system.

If this dude made it to 6 and nothing and hasn't done time he will just keep going. WI doesn't care about it. 14 is just stupid! The real crime is that nobody can get the law changed.

I sure hope Justice is served. Just very glad she is alive. Ya know it just kills me the governement is all up in others business like mandatory seat belt wearing, but oh they can't pass a law for some stiffer penalties for DWI's and DUI's where the actions of others can harm the innocent. :banghead: Ok, sorry for the rant. Really hoping to hear some positive news on the outcome.

I guess I assumed all states took DUI more seriously nowadays. Here's what we do in Virginia:

Penalties
Once you are convicted, you'll endure another round of consequences―more serious ones. The first time you are convicted of DUI, there is a mandatory fine of at least $250. Your driver's license will be revoked for one year.

After your second offense, there is a mandatory minimum $500 fine, driver's license revocation for three years, and possible jail time up to one year. If it is within five years of your first offense, there is a mandatory 20 days in jail―10 days if within 10 years of your first offense.

For your third DUI offense, there is a mandatory $1,000 minimum fine and an indefinite license revocation. You will be prosecuted for a Class 6 felony. If it's within five years of your previous DUI, there is a mandatory six-month jail term. Within 10 years, the mandatory jail term is 90 days. Either way, you will also permanently forfeit your vehicle, if you are the sole owner.

When your blood alcohol concentration is 0.2% or higher when you are arrested, your penalty will include a mandatory minimum 10-day jail sentence in addition to your other penalties. The second such offense within 10 years carries a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 20 days in addition to the other penalties.

If you have two drunk driving convictions within 10 years, you must install an ignition interlock system on all vehicles you own either solely or with another person. If you fail to do so, you face a possible Class 1 misdemeanor charge and risk having your license revoked―again―for one year. Plus, you may be put into jail for up to one year and be nailed with a $2,500 fine.

That is some harsh DUI laws bordering on insane. No driving for a year, so you lose your job or take your chances and drive anyway. That fixes everything.
There has to be some real reform in DUI laws. VA is too strict and WI is not strict enough.
The thing is with MADD there you can never get VA DUI laws to be realistic because no one wants to be percieved being soft on DUI/crime.

About the person that was hit. That should be a DUI case with many other charges for hitting someone and running. Hope he gets the book thrown at him.

That is some harsh DUI laws bordering on insane. No driving for a year, so you lose your job or take your chances and drive anyway. That fixes everything.
There has to be some real reform in DUI laws. VA is too strict and WI is not strict enough.
The thing is with MADD there you can never get VA DUI laws to be realistic because no one wants to be percieved being soft on DUI/crime.

Sorry man, I see NO issues with harsh laws for those that choose to drink and drive. Do they deter every idiot? Nope, but it's better than letting people off with just a slap on the hand.

:2cents:

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers. My sister was hit by one and it has changed her life .....and not for the better.
I hope your friend gets the out come she wants and this guy gets his license taken away forever so he doesn't do this to someone else.

WAR69 sent me a text a bit ago. The scumbag got 3 years prison and 3 year probation. The judge had no sympathy for this dirtbag

Nice! Let's hope he's not out in 2 months due to overcrowding or some crap like that!

GOOD lets just hope he now maybe he can get a boyfriend in jail. I would love it if he actually spends all the time in jail but realistically he won't

That is GREAT NEWS!!! Now let's hope he actually SERVES the full sentence!! :thumbsup:

That is just unreal...14?!!!! When he finally kills someone, then perhaps the state will realize they have an problem?! I can't imagine what a family would feel like if he kills a loved one, knowing a moron like that was allowed to get that many without being charged with a felony and in jail. :banghead:
Sounds like a winner of a court case...taking the state on for allowing him to kep driving. It's a shame that it will take an innocent death for anything to change..........

Rio

Back