Jinksters Transition From Busa Too Metric Cruiser

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
This post and update which I post here this fine morning is most certainly NOT intended to offend anyone...after all...if there ever was a Haybusa Zealot I'd say that over the many years?..I myself ranked in the upper 10%...and what this post is intended to do is to reach out to those (like myself) who "Knew The Dreadful Day Was Coming" where age and/or health issues became a major factor in my decision to detach...and in reality?...this day should've happened about 5 years ago for me...when in my early 50's I began to notice things like...

Absent Mindedness: setting in...and rebelling to accept that my "situational awareness" wasn't quite as crisp as it had been in decades past.

The Morning Stumbles: that used to go away minutes after my morning pee?...were now lasting well into my 2nd cup of morning coffee and beyond....indicating that "my sense of balance was degrading".

and finally?...it became glaringly apparent that..

My Reaction Times: to any number of life situations was slowing down as I just was no longer as mentally alert and physically responsive as I had been throughout life.

Nevertheless?...I still loved my Busa and just couldn't accept life without her...an I just couldn't imagine life without the heart stopping, adrenaline pumping acceleration and razor sharp handling she offered up every time we rolled out the drive...and it was those fine qualities that in hindsight?...kept her in my garage and under my butt for about 5 years longer than I should've pushed things.

Now....at this point?...I know some of you may be thinking...

"Well why didn't you just slow down?"

and my answer is?...

I tried that...for about the last three years...and maybe this old Marine lacks self-discipline but to me?...trying to ride my Busa slow?...Was like trying to hold hands with a hooker...cause I always said "screw-it!"...and hauled butt anyways! :laugh:

As I always felt compelled...(almost "Obligated")...to represent and haul butt wherever I went...cause afterall?...there's no such thing as a "Slow Busa". ;)

That said?...here's the meat of this post...in all my days?...all's I ever rode were dirtbikes, high state-of-tune standards and?...sport bikes...ending off with the King of them all...Oren Ishii...my fully tuned GenI...and I'm not sure at which moment I felt the most nauseum...the day I sold her?...or the next day when I bought and rode home my first ever Metric Cruiser...as I had never experienced riding one...and almost vomited at the thought of owning a 700LB bike sporting a lackluster 60RWHP and 75FTLBS of torque as visions of a fat boy on a bicycle finally catching me haunted my old withered mind...as with somber mind and smile-less face?...I humbly lumbered on home on my new to me 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic...thinking...at least the name fit....we match....Classic! LOL!

Once home and still in my "near" clinical state of depression?....I tried to think happy thoughts...such as..

1. Well at least I shouldn't get to many speeding tickets or worry about any zero tolerance fines for wheelies and/or burnouts and?...

2. Maybe it'll be a nice change of pace to get 20-25K miles out of a new set of touring tires and not needing a new set of tires with every other oil change and?...

3. It's a shafty...so no more needing to buy new chain and sprockets or performing chain maintenance after every other ride but...

The things I didn't have to think "happy thoughts" about?...the "in-my-face" kinda stuff?...was this...

1. Lord is this thing "Comfortable" and?....

2. Super Plush Riding...as in...I could hear myself going over speed ripples and expansion joints but couldn't feel a thing through the bike and?...

3. Real Smooth Running...I took a 100 miler the other night...bar vibes are non-existent...and my hands felt the same when I got off the bike as when I got on it. :)

4. Even though the numbers indicate a bike that's real soft on power?...that 75FT#s seems to start just off idol...and while it's certainly no Busa?....it's not exactly dis-appointing either and it seems that I get to places around town just as timely as I did on the Busa....but on the interstate?...(where it seems the nuts down here are doing 80-100mph?)...I find myself kicking it down a gear to execute passing maneuvers...as 5th gear in it's 5-speed tranny is a bit on the tall side...and a buck 20 is about as fast as this bike will go...furthermore?...anything much over 80 seems like..."Nearing Engine Abuse Speeds".

and finally?...

5. I feel I got a great deal on it...It was bought for $3K cash and a .308 bolt rifle I traded for it from a well off coworker who kept it in an A/C'ed garage and only put 8,800 miles on the odo.

Now I did need to change the battery...his was 3 years old and?...the wrong battery...his dealer/he had mistakenly replaced the oem battery with a 1.4amp/hour battery (for a carbureted model) and after 3 years despite a trickle charger?...it was toast...I could even see what appeared to be a little leakage on the neg. post....

vulcan1.jpg

so I bought a new "proper for a FI model Vulcan"....yuasa 1.8amp/hour battery and after cleaning the battery box up a bit...installed it...

vulcan2.jpg

Another little bright spot in what at first seemed to be a dark moment was?... it took me about 10 minutes to perform and oil & filter change this morning....start to finish...with no fairings bits to loosen or remove and the spin off oil filter conveniently located lower rear/right of the frame...other than that?...since I'm not going on any long trips anytime soon?...I removed the quick-detach locking Ledrie saddlebags that came with the bike and gave her a proper washing...

vulcan3.jpg

It's no Busa...and there probably won't be a day I don't think of Oren every time I swing a leg over this V-twin Metric cruiser and turn the key but bottom line?...as I become more and more accustomed to owning and riding this bike?...It's not 1/2 as bad of a transition as I initially imagined it to be....but it does seem to dictate a very different "Ride Mentality"....no more "track day" riding on public roads....which I guess is a good thing and?...

She handles surprisingly well for what it is...although on my ride to the beach this morning I did discover the floorboards to be a touch on the low side. ;)

Wish me luck and as always...Ride Safe! Bill. :cool:

Last edited:
Hey, it's not always about the bike you ride but the riding of a bike that will make it all fun. you chosen a cruiser but you are still a rider so enjoy your new found bike and enjoy the breeze in your face.....happy riding:thumbsup:

First, thank you for your service, Sir. Second, I pray that God heals you. Third, I'm about to trade my '05 in on a Harley, and I'm going to try and enjoy every moment I can ride--regardless of what it is. Godspeed.

Hey, it's not always about the bike you ride but the riding of a bike that will make it all fun. you chosen a cruiser but you are still a rider so enjoy your new found bike and enjoy the breeze in your face.....happy riding:thumbsup:

First, thank you for your service, Sir. Second, I pray that God heals you. Third, I'm about to trade my '05 in on a Harley, and I'm going to try and enjoy every moment I can ride--regardless of what it is. Godspeed.

Thank you both very much...and I wish you both many days of joyful riding as well. :thumbsup:

Jinkster, not sure you saw this inthe other thread......

Try these sites for your Vulcan! As an owner of a Vulcan Nomad 1500, these sites are invaluable, much like the ORG!!

Gadget's Fixit Page For Kawasaki Nomad & Classic Modification Maintenance & Repair

VROC :: Vulcan Riders and Owners Club

Vulcan Riders Association

For a manual....

Kawasaki Vulcan service manuals | VulcanRider.se

Poppy?...I'm doing yours separately cause this thank you comes with an apology for not responding to the great links you provided me....already downloaded the manual...and registered with VRA...Thank You! ;)

Sorry folks...don't mean to come off as a downer or drama queen but it nothing else?...this transition has been quite emotional for me....and taking me a little to both accept and adapt but...it was time...matter fact?...well past time as poor Oren sat idle in the garage on a trickle charge for many of the last months I owned her...with me feeling somewhat sub-par to ride her both competently and safely...knowing full well it was way past time for me to retire my insatiable need for speed or risk suffering the consequences...which "I" would gleefully do but?...in all fairness?...I still have my youngest of 3 daughters "Rachel" who's only 15 years old and still depends on me...big time...so while I might be willing to suffer the consequences?...it would not be fair to her for me to do so...cause if catastrophe did strike?...she'd be left hanging...and at a very crucial time in her young life when she needs me most...and that's where it becomes a risk I'm NOT willing to take...as she's earned and deserves a fully functional father...hence?...Time for Big Daddy to give up youthful things and slow the heck down and stay safe and in one piece.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. L8R, Bill. ;)

Jinkster, I hope you enjoy your new ride! As far as the decision to let your Hayabusa go, I think I can safely say that most of the members here, if not all of us, have respect for your choice, given the circumstances. No doubt it was a difficult decision to make and one that we all may have to face.

I think the bike is beautiful. A buddy rides a Yamaha V-twin cruiser and keeps up with me on the Busa and another guy on a VFR just fine. We have to wait for him once in a while and he scrapes the floor boards now and again trying to keep us in sight, but he is very comfortable doing it and he loves that bike. Sounds like you made a wise decision given the circumstances. Hold your head high brother!

Congrats! That's a clean looking ride. A rider is a rider as far as I'm concerned! Enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Sorry to see the Busa go but glad to see your still riding. Bike looks exceptionally clean. I've been taking a small group to the lake on Sundays when I'm off and some Thursdays around town, most of which are cruisers. Your welcome to join anytime :beerchug:

I think you made the smartest move you could for youirself. I have to say a lot of people ignore the signs that are right in front of them. It takes courage to realize whats up and make the adjustment.

Congrats.

I'd love a Cruiser as well as the my Busa.
Nearly brought one earlier this year but wanted a big one.
But my budget wouldn't run to it.

Nice looking ride. I'm so in love with the Busa, I hope this day never comes for me, that I simply get too old to ride and pass on or sell the Busa three or four decades from now :laugh:

Sorry to see the Busa go but glad to see your still riding. Bike looks exceptionally clean. I've been taking a small group to the lake on Sundays when I'm off and some Thursdays around town, most of which are cruisers. Your welcome to join anytime :beerchug:

Thanks Jeff!...and everyone else as well! :)

and now?...for an...

UPDATE:

"The Good": I've been riding a lot again...of course much of it is the excitement of getting to ride and know a new type of ride as I've never owned (or even rode) a V-Twin cruiser before but it also saves miles on my gas gulping Titan P/U truck as it sips the fuel at an astounding 50mpg...highway....and?...it seems the 15 year old daughter (my youngest) has acquired a fondness for slipping in her ear buds and climbing on back of Dads new super comfy (and not so scary) ride...we did an 80 miler last night to a friends house and back....and seemingly did so with as much comfort and dignity as taking my truck. :)

"The Bad": On "Starts & Stops"?....I still feel like the wobbly old man getting used to a new bike...but it's just so different and under 10mph feels like I'm manhandling a farm tractor with two wheels missing...but the bike tips the scales at close to 700lbs (wet w/ accessories) and then toss my daughter and myself on top?...and we're looking at balancing and controlling a 1,000lbs...(1/2 ton)...on two wheels...which can get sketchy quick at the slower non-counter-steering speeds...but once on the roll?...it rides like a cloud and seems just as comfortable and STABILE soaking up road at residential speeds as it does at 100mph passing tractor trailers on the interstate and I've become quite confident gliding onto and off of the interstate entrance/exit ramps with the floorboards a fraction of an inch from making contact with pavement...so at least a little bit of the excitement factor is still there.

"The Ugly": Now I dunno why...other than my own ignorance of V-twin cruisers I guess...but I never dreamed that there was a 1500cc anything made these days that wouldn't do at least 130mph...well?...surprise...riding two-up with the full sized windscreen in place?...this thing needs a running start to hit 110mph!.....and man is that humbling after coming off of 8 years worth of busa...so if I was looking to slow down?...I definitely got the right bike! :laugh:

Now I will admit that the low top speed thing came as a bit of a humbling shock...but the bike makes up for it in other ways...such as the down low torque that comes as a result of slinging two coffee can sized pistons up and down and for a long stroke...which gives this slug of a cruiser plenty of spunk at lower speeds through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear with 5th being like an overdrive gear and 4th acting as my interstate "passing gear"...and flow of traffic on the interstate last night was crazy...80-100mph seemed to be the norm and am happy to report that this VN1500 Classic handled that sort of action just fine and did so two-up and with plenty of authority...but lets just hope things don't get too much faster out there for this old man who's slowing down! :laugh:

Wish me luck and L8R, Bill. :cool:

Its good to hear that your enjoying the new ride. I think I will be switching to one in the next year or two. So how many times have your scrapped those floorboards?

As long as you are on two wheels it's cool.... Oh yeah, "motorized" two wheels.... :thumbsup:

Its good to hear that your enjoying the new ride. I think I will be switching to one in the next year or two. So how many times have your scrapped those floorboards?

Thanks...and just the one time on scraping the floorboards....think I'm going to make some sacrificial titanium bars to replace the cap nuts...this way I can look like a sparkler coming around the corner! :laugh:

As long as you are on two wheels it's cool.... Oh yeah, "motorized" two wheels.... :thumbsup:

Yeah...sure takes some getting used to...totally different mindset coming off a 200mph to a 100mph bike but?...I needed to slow down...it's just that time of life I guess...but the excitement factor is still there when I'm winging 1,000lbs worth of bike and riders through a sweeper! :laugh:

On a side note...the bike came with the full sized windscreen, passenger backrest, HID and?...saddlebags? :(

and when I removed them to clean the bike?...the lockable, key detach brackets were showing signs of rust due to missing finish around the holes...and I was just going to buy a T-Bag and luggage rack (which looks cooler to me) and off the bags on the classifieds for $100-$150....and when I told the original owner (my coworker) my plans?...he said...

BILL!....those bags cost me over $500 and the lock/detach mounting brackets were an additional $125!"

then mumbled something about dropping like $650 on the saddlebags....cause they are "Ledrie"...pronounced 'Le Dry saddlebags....made in Holland...out of a specially processed leather impregnated with silicone/oils...completely water-proof leather...w/ stainless buckles....so I re-thunk things and suddenly they didn't look so bad...and I took the rusty brackets to a local powder coater and had them stripped and recoated with gloss black powder coat...then replaced all the hardware with SS button heads/flat washers and nylock nuts...so I'm....(oh God)...."keeping them" :laugh:

ledrie.jpg

L8R, Bill. :cool:

Congrats Bill on the new ride,, who cares what you ride or how you ride.
As long as you are comfortable with the rode, and happy.
Bill you have been thru a lot the last fews years, and you need to just enjoy life now, no matter what corner comes at you!

Yea I wouldn't be getting arid of the bags just yet. Before you know it your going to be planning trips that those bags will be handy for. Pretty I think we will be seeing you like this

The mistake most people make is getting rid of the bike altogether. Sure, might not be a good idea to ride around on a hyperbike when you know your reaction times are slower than normal (having followed your activity here for a while, would hazard a guess and say your reaction times are still probably better than mine, I am still younger and very green)

Anyways, I am glad you chose to stay on two wheels. I am absolutely convinced riding keeps people younger, and must say congrats on the new bike. Certainly not a bad choice in color, make nor model!!!

Take care, enjoy the next many, many miles!!!

-THE MENACE

Back