Jinkster, you the man

loboboy

Donating Member
Registered
Albeit I am over the weight limit for the stock springs, I made the adjustments that Jinks had written about and I have to say that the bike feels alive again. I rode a few twisty roads yesterday on the Way to our monthly ride to Cassoday, Ks and I was amazed at the response of the suspension, it held a line and dropped in like I had never felt before.

I know I need stiffer springs and some valving work but for just adjusting the stock stuff this is the way to go. I didn't even meaure mine out and followed Jinks lead and the bike worked great.
Now after I replace my springs front and back then I will measure it all out like he describes and see the difference.

Thanks Jinkster for the great write up on the Suspension adjustments.

cool.gif

I only have ~1000 miles on my bike. I'm ~220 lbs. + gear and can already tell I need to stiffen the OE suspension set-up, even more so when the wife (125 lbs.) eventually jumps on back?

1. How long did it take you and are your very mechanically inclined?

2. Will I/should I need to adjust the suspension again when the wife does jump on back?

Albeit I am over the weight limit for the stock springs, I made the adjustments that Jinks had written about and I have to say that the bike feels alive again. I rode a few twisty roads yesterday on the Way to our monthly ride to Cassoday, Ks and I was amazed at the response of the suspension, it held a line and dropped in like I had never felt before.

I know I need stiffer springs and some valving work but for just adjusting the stock stuff this is the way to go. I didn't even meaure mine out and followed Jinks lead and the bike worked great.
Now after I replace my springs front and back then I will measure it all out like he describes and see the difference.

Thanks Jinkster for the great write up on the Suspension adjustments.
u r very welcome...happy to share it.
biggrin.gif

Bill got me started on my suspension a year or so ago.

Hands down the best mod I have ever done to my machine.

I only have ~1000 miles on my bike.  I'm ~220 lbs. + gear and can already tell I need to stiffen the OE suspension set-up, even more so when the wife (125 lbs.) eventually jumps on back?

1. How long did it take you and are your very mechanically inclined?

2.  Will I/should I need to adjust the suspension again when the wife does jump on back?
yes very mechanically inclined (Aircraft mech/Inspector) and it really only took me about 30 minutes to do mine.

The only thing is I did not measure mine out like Jinks reccomends, all I did was set all of my settings like he had in his write up. Now if I took the time to measure the static sag and all of the other points it would have taken longer, but not much longer. So if you have any idea about turning a wrench, you can at least set yours to his settings without doing the measurements and it will make a world of diff.

Like I said earlier, I did it this way because I knew I was going to be over weight and will be changing my springs soon but I wanted it to be better for riding right now, and that is why I set everything to his specs. for now.

just read the original write up.

Where do you guys order new springs? any favorites out there?

Tah-Dah!
biggrin.gif

ya know what?...there's someone in your home state that's not to far away who's pretty good at adjusting suspension.
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Hey Bill, I may actually arrange that w/ you and take you up on that in the not too distant future. Would give me the opp. for my first cross state ride as well (160 miles).

Just yesterday, I was taking some fast curves w/ multiple dips and just too much unwanted recoil in the soft settings while leaning...had to keep my butt off the seat and all the weight on the pegs to compensate.

Thanks Bill. I'll let you know.
cool.gif

cool.gif

Just what is the weight limit for the stock springs?  245 here.

Don
IMO, you need to upgrade the springs.

Call Traxxion Dynamics, ask for Mike(busa owner as well and a member here).

Traxxion Dynamics
So if I'm at 230 w/ gear are you saying the stock suspension will never suffice regardless of how they are set?

~$1000.00+ for new suspension...yikes!

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155050163 -->

So if I'm at 230 w/ gear are you saying the stock suspension will never suffice regardless of how they are set?
I am not a suspension expert, that question would better be answered by Mike or someone else at Traxxion.

He will want want to know how you ride? Track days, mountain riding, cruising, etc.

You may just need a set of springs at $150ish if my memory serves me correctly.

I do tackdays on my Busa and chose to upgrade the valving in the front forks as well.

I also address the rear with a stock shock revalved and re sprung for my weight.

Call Mike and see what he suggests.

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155053392 -->

+1 on Jinkster's suspension thread!!!

Works so well with track riding too. I took my Busa into Race TECH at the track and they said the SAG was already setup nicely. They said exactly what JInks sez, "Yer Busa needs heavier fork springs." I'm 226 lbs too.

For the guys that are interested in suspension help.

I emailed Mike at Traxxion yesterday, letting him know there is quite a few people asking questions about suspension. I asked him maybe it is time for another board deal on suspension work. He replied back and said he will see what he can put together.

What's up guys? Mike from Traxxion Dynamics here.
What's going on here?
rock.gif

The stock springs rate out to be about .85kg which are soft even for lightest riders....................ON SV650s!!!
We have spring kits and valve kits available.
Let me know what I can help you guys with.
Thanks!

beerchug.gif

Mike, not to go OT on original thread, but since its posted in here... What spring should a 160-170lb rider be looking for? I dont do track time, mostly pleasure rides, and some quarter mile blasts in the near future. Thanks. And being decently mechanically inclined, are the fork springs something I can do, or need to take to a shop?

Back