JINKSTER ATTACKS "SUSPENSION"

cool thread, but here is something strange on my forks. Rebound - right fork (small screw on the top) has 8 clicks out from full clockwise, and the left has 11 clicks out.... is there something wrong???? How those 2 can be so different??? any advice will be appriciated.

Hi jinks, Iam new to the org and have not had the opportunity to get my suspension set up. I am not very good with these type of things but i do know that it will make a big difference in the way it handles. I am at 225 lbs so after reading your post i am sure that my bike is not set up properly. Do you have a shop? I am in Lake Worth and wonder if you could help me out or advise where to go? My bike is an 08 with about 2500 miles on the clock. I would like to set it up for handeling more than drag racing. Thanks in advance for your time. Rick Slattery AKA Fast Geezer

cool thread, but here is something strange on my forks. Rebound - right fork (small screw on the top) has 8 clicks out from full clockwise, and the left has 11 clicks out.... is there something wrong???? How those 2 can be so different??? any advice will be appriciated.

They should be the same.
Sounds like someone had them apart at some time.
Good time to take them apart and change the oil, and put them back together yourself, properly.
JMO

They should be the same.
Sounds like someone had them apart at some time.
Good time to take them apart and change the oil, and put them back together yourself, properly.
JMO

Hey Mike,
I thought that much:laugh: I was thinking of replacing my springs anyway, so now I have good reason to do so:whistle: Thx for the advice. I hope I ain't gonna stuff it up...
PS
What oil would you advice to put in there???
One more thing, since I gonna be doing forks maybe I can change oil in my st. dumper - if so what oil???

Hey Mike,
I thought that much:laugh: I was thinking of replacing my springs anyway, so now I have good reason to do so:whistle: Thx for the advice. I hope I ain't gonna stuff it up...
PS
What oil would you advice to put in there???
One more thing, since I gonna be doing forks maybe I can change oil in my st. dumper - if so what oil???

Forks:
The stock Suzuki oil is about 5wt.
I used 5W Belray fork oil.
Don't go too heavy, it can blow the seals.
Damper:
I used 80W90 gear oil, but straight 80 or 90 works good too.
That makes it a bit firmer.
I think the stock weight is about 10 or 15 if you want to just change it and leave it stock.
Good Luck!

Forks:
The stock Suzuki oil is about 5wt.
I used 5W Belray fork oil.
Don't go too heavy, it can blow the seals.
Damper:
I used 80W90 gear oil, but straight 80 or 90 works good too.
That makes it a bit firmer.
I think the stock weight is about 10 or 15 if you want to just change it and leave it stock.
Good Luck!

Thanks for all tips mike.
I will be changing everything next weekend.
I noticed that my bike pulls little to the right when I sit up and leave handelbars alone, so I must compansate by shifting my weight little to the left. Hopefully new springs, oil and new setup will fix the problem.

Hi jinks, Iam new to the org and have not had the opportunity to get my suspension set up. I am not very good with these type of things but i do know that it will make a big difference in the way it handles. I am at 225 lbs so after reading your post i am sure that my bike is not set up properly. Do you have a shop? I am in Lake Worth and wonder if you could help me out or advise where to go? My bike is an 08 with about 2500 miles on the clock. I would like to set it up for handeling more than drag racing. Thanks in advance for your time. Rick Slattery AKA Fast Geezer

hey Rick...lake worth eh?..you are just a little south of me...and blanca busa and...Holy P..who last i heard would also like for me to help him dial in his suspenders so?..maybe all of you can swing up next sunday morning and i'll walk you all through it and get your bikes set-up at the same time..then?..i'll take ya'll for a spin through some local curves i got up my way...maybe do lunch/dinner...he11...i might even fire up the grill...whad be really cool is if ya'll rode up sat. evening...ride out and see some of my buds bands...spend the night..then wrench and ride sunday..prolly a pipe dream gett'in us all together at the same time though..but?...whatever...i'm here...and as always?..willing to help out any h.org busa bretheren.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

just wanted to say thanks for the great type up! Been meaning to play with the suspension for so long, but finding this article re-sparked old flame in me, LOL
thanks again...

Wow, a thread that's still useful after more than 5 years!
Just wanted to say thanks JINKSTER!

I built up my project 2003 Hayabusa with parts from all over the place. The forks came from ebay and I just dropped them in and forgot about them. Once I got the bike running, I too felt that soft mushiness to the suspension, especially when compared to my Honda Blackbird and VFR800 (I ride a different one of my 4 bikes every day).

I figured I'd tweak with it real quickly before I took the bike to dinner and do a better job when I have time (I doubted I could make it much worse!). Set the rebound and compression per your post and just screwed the front compression adjusters all the way in and then back out 2.5 turns (I'm 195lbs and it was screwed way out).

The difference was immediately noticeable, I don't know that I could put my finger on it, but it was just easier and more predictable in the corners.

I will have to do a complete setup in the next few weekends, but for now, it feels much better! :thumbsup:

My Rear Shock Settings Are...
Rebound (botton screw): 10 Clicks Out
Compression (top screw): 7 Clicks Out
And that's with two full revs more rear shock spring preload from stock factory adjustment.

L8R, Bill.
I have a question on the rear shock and what is quoted above. What is meant by 10 clicks "out" and 7 clicks "out"? I see "S-H" over the top of each screw which I guess would mean soft and hard?

If clicks "out" means turn the screw clockwise that is what I did.

Thanks,
John

I have looked at the manual and see the mention of turning the screws clockwise until they stop. I guess this would be the reference and then turn them back counterclockwise 7 clicks for the top and 10 for the bottom? If this is the case, Jinkster's settings are just one off from "standard" recommended in the manual.

If this is the case the way I have it currently it is completely maxed out. Any input?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
hey everyone, this is a great thread, have to keep it alive...

well im back to the busa world again after, this time on a 06 all stock, i am 191 lbs, so in gear maybe 200. I rode the new busa back last night and did not like the suspension settings much, our carpool lane is newer and has a slight gap/ridge between it and the #2 lane and every time i crossed it the front end felt sloppy and wiggely, i checked the settings today and the forks were set at

rebound 3 out
compression 8 out
and the preload was 8 full revolutions out from the bottom

the shock was set at

rebound 10 out

compression 8 out

so i left the rear where it was for now and changed the front to the recomended

R 3 out
C 4 out

my preload is now 2 full revolutions out which allows me to see 1 line (if i am reading it correctly)

does this all sound good as a starting point for my weight, i will play with it more over the weekend but need to try to get it fairly close for my spirited ride to work in the morning

hey guys! i want to redo the front suspension on my 01 it has 25000km on it.
im looking for advise on new springs where to buy and what to buy!
im 5'10 at 185pounds without gear on.any ideas for me?links where or what to buy?
thanks

hey guys! i want to redo the front suspension on my 01 it has 25000km on it.
im looking for advise on new springs where to buy and what to buy!
im 5'10 at 185pounds without gear on.any ideas for me?links where or what to buy?
thanks

I'm about your size, and the advice I've gotten from reputable track folks here is that stock weight springs will work best. Tufbusa is a good guy to PM with suspension questions as he's a trackcoach. Race tec and Ohlins make good stuff. You can PM Pashnit and see what he has and prices, or go to his site, pashnit.com.
You should replace your fork seals to, they're around $40 average.

thanks for the response!its confusing since a couple of threads on here and suzukihayabusa forums says that there good for a 150pounder and not a 200
i guess i will try to adjust it the jinkster's way and then see if i need to change something!

well ive had my busa 4 days and after the horror ride home suspension was first on the get done menu.

the guy who had it before must have been very short as the bike was so high at the front it was dangerous.

been sorting the settings for a few rides and happy with what ive done .

im 13stone and a bit kitted so 180-190lbs

ive set the rear preload at 20mm thread showing and 2 clicks firmer top and bottom.

front forks are set at comp 5 rebound 5 and preload at level with yoke top.

its running new mitch pilot road2ct tyres and it now performs as it should.

neutral steering and the front recovers better when cornering as rebound was way to stiff at 2-3 as per manual.

if your my weight give that a try if your struggling with front end feel:thumbsup:

Back