jerky ride

tybusa

Registered
has anyone had a problem when cruising in second or third gear and the bike starts surging. its getting gas and is running smooth through the power bands but cruising at 35 or 65 it starts surging. what might cause this to happen?

First or 2nd Gen? Exhaust mods? There is a bit of stutter on 1st Gens between about 3300 and 4000 RPMs with some slip-ons.

Same thing happened to me, and I checked all the vacuum lines under the airbox, and sure enough, one was unhooked. Pull it off and check, I guarantee it's the same thing since I had all the same symptoms.

I have the same problem. Surges in low-mid-to high throttle at some consistent points (4000RPM) with a singular surge, and at some random points with multiple consecutive surges. I disoneected the Pingle elctric shifter, as it seemed to be an ignition interupt symptom. Then disconnected the PCIIIusb. No change. I'm looking for disconnected or damaged vacuum lines now. Any luck figuring this out guys?

I have now determined that I'm slipping only in first gear, therefore now considered a first gear transmission problem.  I'll post when I get brave enough to crack the case.

puke.gif

flush.gif

you might laugh but I had a surge that became noticeable on the ride back from Captains last fall... The chain was just flat wore out... (tried to get it replaced before I headed home but could not)

I had the rear tire off the ground and was running the thing in gear, I could see the bad links go by..

The surge went away with a new chain.. I do not have the specs on chain length for X number of links but I would take a peek at this all the same..

I think the surge was from some links that were galled and the chain was riding up a bit on the sprocket.. way odd but it fixed it

Thax Mr. B, I'll give my 4000 mi, drag-raced, ignored chain a once-over. Still seems strnge that I get surges only in 1st at at fairly regular intervals (right, now @ 2500RPM, 4000RPM, but not when I "baby" the throttle. I appreciate the feedback.

low throttle settings did get me home without surge or breakage... just watch the chain going over the rear sprocket and see if the chain lifts off the root..

This sounds really odd and I am having trouble with my own diagnosis but it cured the problem.. just do not understand how a lowly chain could have such an impact on a bike with a surge..

If your chain is out of adjustment you will get a surge while riding!

Gonna take to her to Johnny Cheese Saturday.

If there's anybody in central TX that can fix this, and get me to 200MPH at the next TX Mile, it's him.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Cheeseman said first gear is bad. He said that it was very unusual, as it is usually second gear that goes out. It may be the shifter fork. In any case, it can't be re-built before the Texas Mile, so I'm going to limp her along, and then do a tranny / big-block re-build in May.

you cruise at 65 in first gear?? how would first gear affect second and third gear? (at least so you could tell without breaking the case)

Back