Jackshaft CONVERSION to OSD

BigRod1300

Registered
Many you have seen my threads about the jackshafts blow out its bearing on my fatty 330. Well Iv had it with bearings, adjusting dual chains, and knowing that the jackshaft is robbing HP from me. SO I went OSD = Out Side Drive. THis puts the chain on the outside of the frame. You will see what Im talking about very soon.

Many of you fatty admirors have seen the OSD set ups that Roaring Toys is selling with the arm and all. Having a C&S jackshaft 330 arm that I LOVE the look of ...Im kept my arm. When running a OSD..the rear wheel can me closer ( less of a stretch ) cause there is no need for room of the jackshaft any more. I how ever like my look of the 9 over that the MULLET is set at now. SO why not keep my arm then.

Lets get started with the write up and pics.

THe C&S arm complet min the removal of the crapshaft ( jackshaft ) cog.

Then I cut off the outer tab that held the shaft and adjustment of the cog and gound it smooth.

Give me some time to write this up...several pics.

DSCN1133.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

After that....NO going back now!
For a temporary dress of the grinding....I covered the area with carbon that I had left from my tank pad I made. Works good for now. THis section later in the winter will be a triangular air tank that LOOKs like its part of the arm with a cover over it and the section of the arm that could have a NOS bottle. More of this later.

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

The MULLET is all prepped and ready for its new OSD conversion. The billet sprocket cover was taken off and sold to a good home .
The Vortex 16t sprocket was removed and also the left rear set with air-shifter.
Removed the left outer swingarm pivot nut........
and was awaiting the arrival of the OSD kit.
FInaly after 3 weeks and 5 day wait of a 3 day shipping..YEa go figure, its here. THe OSD kit came from KOSMAN. They are the ones that are make it for RoaringToyz. Took some searching to find that out. NO middle man on this one.

WOW...a box of those soft peanuts:lol:

DSC00359.jpg

As you can see...not many parts to this OSD kit.
Big cover = slave support / LARGE offset sprocket carrier, and chain guard all in one. Yes this billet cover plate has a support bearing in it for the offset sprocket that helps support the outer end of the output shaft.

The second pic is of the back side of this billet support. See the white ish roller thing closest to you. THat gets threaded onto the swingarm pivot rod and is a roller guide for the chain so it does not saw its way thru the pivot rod or the means of mounting this big plate. THe plate is also mounted just like the billet slave support / sprocket cover I had on prev. Thats basicly the concept.

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

THis cone section slides tightly into the open end of the big sprocket and is O-ringed for secure fit. The cone is then pocketed into a bearing support inside the cover plate. The speed sensor bolt gets put back in this.
On with the roller that mounts to the end of the swingarm pivot bolt. THis also is the bike support bracket for the cover plate later.

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

On with the shifter linkage extension.
The extended support bolts to the cover. Much like the old billet slave support one I did have.
On with the slave cylinder.

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

On with the Ek ZZZ chain. This took for ever due to me snapping the push pin in the chain breaker just before the rivit was clear out. Cut off 7 pin lengths from the new ZZZ 150 pin chain.

DSC00371.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00373.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

All adjusted, rear sets on, HMF cans back on, wheel tightend, and clutch bleed. The coolant overflow tank....WILL NOT go back on in its orig location. IT conflicts with the OSD plate. For now I have move it forward and secured it, but cannt reinstall fairing with it this way. BUT atleast I get to go ride and try it out. I have a 92-93 GSXR 750 coolant tank comming from ebay and will try it on the right sideup near the rad and frame. THink it will fit nicely up there.....DONT KNOW>

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

OMG....I need a grease guard ( chain guard ). That stuff looks like pancake batter everywhere.!!!!!!!! Pitty the guy that gets behind me on the road

Just tooling around the neighborhood......WOW, what a diff feel. THe MULLET actualy feels more balance from not having all that spinning mass on the left side! Feels more snappy too. THINK I freed up some HP

WOrking on Air shifter now. It will actualy bolt to one of the cover plate bolts that go into the bolt to the crank case.

The OSD feels so much better than the crapshafts!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC00385.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

Well wipped of that greace and put it in the garage. It was in the red for heat? Dont know why. SO I went back at it. Opened up the rad cap...full to the top ( this of course after it cooled down). FLow catch tank fuller than it was? The high heat pushed it out to there I guess.
Played with the air shifter some and need a few more small LOWES things.

Backed it out of the garage, started it up and let it run. NO heat up issue ...dont know what caused it earlier?

That dang hidden kickstand. I keep banging the shifter into gear vs. getting the kickstand.

Well dang.....I put on the pants, boots, gloves, and lid....off I went again. YEp still MadMax style...No fairings. SWEET beast the MULLET is now. Have to adjust my shifter some, but other than that.......IT is new beast now. I cant believe the diff the OSD makes over the crapshafts. Feels so smooth and ballance specialy thru the turns. LOOK out ECHR on the Oct ride granted I can get all the chain grease wore off the left side of the tire by then.

The grease....... I have if from boot up to my shoulder. You all know what new chain grease does...but try having the chain to the outside of the bike. Bet its a 50ft roaster tail of grease when Im going down the road.

Thats it for pic now. Get some later when its cleaned up and fairings on. I test fited the fairing. Had to cut a section out to fit around the OSD plate. Came out realy nice thu.

As for the left rearset being outward 3 inches....I did not even notice it untill I thought to think about it. THU it does remind you that its out there when moving the bike around in the garage while still in shorts. Nurled up my left calf some.

Since out riding more on the MULLET now with the OSD.....WOO what a big diff. I had speedo failure issues. Got home and pulled the speed sensor out. It has some small magnetic shaving on it from rubbing the billet spacer thats in the end of the sprocket holding the speedo bolt. IT actualy put a 1/16 inch grove in the end of the sensor. I cleaned the shaving off and out I went. Fixed the issue. Seems that the sensor has grinded down all that was rubbing it...so good to go.

ONCE again for any and all fatty lovers....The OSD is king set up!:thumbsup:
:beerchug:

Nice write up when my jackshaft goes iam gona go with the O.S.D. kit if you dont mind how much did that set up cost you. and do you feel the difference with the left peg set being out more then the right side and i heard the chain will stretch faster then a jackshaft but once again great write up and looks great

300 tire.jpg

Re-read above. I talked about the left rearset at the end. ITs not big deal...never even notice it being outward. The OSD kit ran just shy of $1K, but for the diff it makes....WOOT....well worth it over the crapshafts. Now need to re dyno it at HPC with Grag to see what HP it freed up.:thumbsup:

Back