jacking the front end of the bike

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Leaky forks are comming off tomorrow and going to Gixxer for an upgrade and new seals.

I don't have a front end stand and I plan to put a steel bar thru the rear swing arm/frame hole and
place the bar on jack stands.

Then plan to jack the front end up at the oil pan.

With the hmf headers I got, there is not a lot of oilpan space for a jack.

Can I...put a short 2x6 layed flat under the headers and jack on the 2x6...
are the headers strong enough to support the front end weight of the bike
without screwing something else up?

Bike will probably have to jacked up for about a week and half.

little afraid of my baby falling
crazy.gif

Don't have the funds right now for a front stand.

actually now that I look at it again, there is a nice little lip right at the drain bolt that would help lock in one of the little bottle jacks...except it would be lifting right on the drain bolt.

any advice would be appreciated

The headers will support it. I had mine down to a frame, motor, and forks for almost 2 months. I used a motorcycle jack which I got from Wally World for 69 bucks. You could always return it if money is tight right now.

Do you have a garage with rafters exposed? If you do you can put a heavy tie-down strap from the rafters to the top triple clamp to help support the weight.

Do you have a garage with rafters exposed?  If you do you can put a heavy tie-down strap from the rafters to the top triple clamp to help support the weight.
+1

I hate to leave anything sitting on a hydraulic jack. Do you have a friend with an engine hoist (cherry picker)? raise it up & use wood blocking under it.

A simple A frame can be nailed together with 4x4's or double stacked 2x4's & use a come-a-long to raise it.

If you run a rod through the frame and put it up on jack stands, just take your side fairings off so you can get to the headers easily, have someone lift the front of the bike up while you place blocks under the headers. With the rear up on the rod, the front won't be very heavy.

If you run a rod through the frame and put it up on jack stands, just take your side fairings off so you can get to the headers easily, have someone lift the front of the bike up while you place blocks under the headers. With the rear up on the rod, the front won't be very heavy.
+1000

I ran some heavy duty I-Bolts thru the rafters in my ceiling, suspended the bike via heavy-duty rachet straps.

Held there for 48hrs with no problems, I would trust it to hold there for a week if need be. Can always add the jack under the headers for added support. The more weight distribution, the better.

beerchug.gif

don't have any rafters exposed but there is something up there...garage door opener is suspended from something.
(split level, garage is downstairs)

Not knowing what it is I'm reluctant to support the bike with it, but I did buy an eyehook and a rope which I will use as a saftey backup.

Wait till Grandma walks out in the garage and sees the front end off my bike and rope hanging from a hook in the ceiling
laugh.gif

Back