Jacking on aftermarket header pipes?

jphilipson

Registered
Hey folks - I know that the stock header pipes are a good place to use for jacking the front end. Any issues with jacking on after market pipes? I assume with them being lighter, they are also weaker. I have a full Yoshimura system on mine. Anyone run into any issues doing this?

:laugh: Looks like you're hoisting that bad boy. Do you have a front wheel stand ? Whatcha doin :whistle:

No front wheel stand. If I can't use the header pipes, will need to rig something up so I can use the floor jack on the oil pan.

seems silly to risk crushing a $1000 header or dropping the bike when you can buy a $150 front stand:dunno:

Why would you drop the bike? Very stable when it's on a rear stand and you jack under the engine. I think changing a front wheel is less stable using a front fork stand *shrugs*

I wouldn't jack under anything in any way other than what Suz recomends. Kaw has a special adpater that contacts the outre edge of the oil pan where it bolts up to the motor. It is used with a scissor jack.

It's a lot of weight and a lot of leverage in most cases. Don't risk denting an oil pan or bending pipes. You might never know it but your bike has less power or reduced oil circulation. Doesn't take much, I hear. Here is what I have done with my 14. I'll do something similar using two straps and wrapping through the frame to the sides of the fuel tank when it comes time to check my busa's steering.

How to Test Steering Play

If you are just removing a front wheel, a steering pivot stand is what I use. I think a fork lift stand might put some pressure against the axle holders on the fork bottoms....might work just fine, IDK.. I use a PitBull Newfrontstand. Works great. Also have a PitBull Forklift stand with steering stem converter bar so I can lift both ways. <<<<Best way to go for general front lifting use.

Wtf, theres not a lowered bike out there that hasn't at least bent a header pipe. a damaged primary isn't going to change alot (if at all), it damn sure isn't going to blow the motor up.

I've done it before I don't like to for stability reasons but when your away from home sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Remember when you start jacking the bike further from the front your taking weight off the rear stand.

Dont use the jack pad, get a block or something to even out the weight and go slow.

Invest in a front stand though, its cheaper than a paint job

...and just for any and ALL who may read this, if you need to lift in any way that is a bit questionable, make sure you break the bolts loose beforehand. It can be pretty easy to lever a bike over with a wrench even on a good solid stand...especially wrench near the rear wheel hub and x2 with a long handled wrench. Almost happened to me a couple times.

Back