Jackets, Leather or Mesh like?

i am for leather personally. something about a jacket that has holes in it already makes me nervous. when it reaches high 90's here i just grab a spray bottle and soak my t-shirt down and leave the neck strap unbuttoned for good airflow. yes, a leather jacket can be real hot but it's worth it when all else fails.

The textiles shouldn't make you nervous, put one on and check it out. I'll have to get a pic of my buddie's jacket that went down. He was doing 60+ (he won't admit to the actual speed but I know the corner he was taking was a good 70 or better for him). He caught some gravel just past the apex as he was coming out and down he went. Stayed with the bike on his side for about 125' before the bike left the roadway and entered the ditch. The bike was totaled in the accident, hit an embankment and went airborne about 6 feet with a double twist gainer. :laugh: The textile did an amazing job holding up and the armor kept him from getting any bruising. Had he been wearing some textile overpants he probably would have walked away without a scratch. The mesh jackets I've tried on are just too light, the textiles provide a nice balance of protection and breathing. While they're not as breathable as the mesh, they make up for it in protection. Synthetic fibers have come a long way these days, well worth a look for those in hot climates that need an alternative to leather, especially those who don't do well in heat to begin with. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
My textile of choice....
Scorpion Hat Trick Mesh/Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

It has 2 different liners that can be worn separate or together. One for wind/rain and the other for cool weather, or remove both for the hot days. Very well built jacket w/ CE armor and snaps for belt to keep it from riding up on the back. I had a buddy go down at over 60 in the same jacket (lowside), rode the bike down for quite aways sliding with it and only has a drag mark on the side/back to show for. His jeans were trashed and he got some rash on the hip/legs but his torso and arms were untouched. RED/YELLOW/BLUE are $145 on clearance!

That's a really nice looking jacket too, I'm liking that Phantom 'colour' scheme. I will check this one out for sure. hanks for the info as well

I'm trying to figure out if I should get a Leather Jacket or a Mesh one. Now going by our summers for the last 2 years. Our hottest days would be around 95F (35C). We had about 2 weeks in the summer that hot this past summer and probably around the same the year before. Most days its around 77F (25C).

Would that be too hot for a leather jacket? And do leather jackets mind damp weather much?

Something like this, Leather
Icon Merc Leather Motorcycle Jacket

Compared to something like this.
Icon Hooligan Motorcycle Jacket

Save a Cow and get a Kevlar Textile Jacket!

Check out this customizable Kevlar Mesh Jacket:
air mesh kevlar jacket

Back