Jackets, Leather or Mesh like?

Zero

Registered
I'm trying to figure out if I should get a Leather Jacket or a Mesh one. Now going by our summers for the last 2 years. Our hottest days would be around 95F (35C). We had about 2 weeks in the summer that hot this past summer and probably around the same the year before. Most days its around 77F (25C).

Would that be too hot for a leather jacket? And do leather jackets mind damp weather much?

Something like this, Leather
Icon Merc Leather Motorcycle Jacket

Compared to something like this.
Icon Hooligan Motorcycle Jacket

I've got a Icon Hooligan summer jacket and I like it on those 90 deg. day's...lot's of air flow. Slap a wife beater underneath (tank-top) and hit the highway.

Get both! leather is ok in damp weather as long as its treated.

+1 wear leather when you can (its more protective) in the summer the mesh will help you stay cool as long as youre moving. while at stop lights and in traffic, any jacket will suck.

I had a low speed crash with a mesh one. No protection for the areas that didn't have armor. Asphalt burned a hole right thru the back of the jacket causing some nice road rash.

I always wear my leather, no matter the temperature. It has a removable liner and it perfect at speed.

Mesh is ok, but textile is much better from what I've seen. A buddy of mine lowsided last year doing 70 and slid for quite awhile. His jacket has some nice burn marks but never went through to his skin. His jeans were another thing though....tore his hip up pretty good with rash. Leather is best when higher speeds may be involved, but trips to and from work I wear my Scorpion textile which has full armor. The mesh jackets I've tried on are very light and just don't give me any sense of real protection - better than bare skin but not confidence inspiring. :beerchug:

Some textiles look to be ok but I have never seen a "mesh" that I would wear...

some have some armor around elbows and stuff but I value my skin too much..

Leather... only... perforated will help when it is warm..

(mesh is better than none at all fwiw)

Some textiles look to be ok but I have never seen a "mesh" that I would wear...

some have some armor around elbows and stuff but I value my skin too much..

Leather... only... perforated will help when it is warm..

(mesh is better than none at all fwiw)

I have to admit, Perforated makes me nervous....

is it really not that big of a deal with leather, or does it noticably reduce the durability of the leather....

not sure how much the perforations weaken the leather... I know at Bonnie, you can not use perforated leathers.. Guess the salt does bad things at speed through the little holes..

I would get both if the money is there. The mesh would work great for you at all times. I wear a mesh jacket pretty much all the time. During the winter time I wear a sweatshirt under my jacket with the liner that came with it and it works pretty well. During the summer time I take the liner out and open all the vents and it feels ok. It does get pretty hot here in Phoenix. We are talking it get up to 120 degrees. Good luck with making your decision.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I'm going to go with the leather jacket. If it does well in damp weather, I might as well go for it!

Anyone have more information about the textile jackets?

i rock a textile joe rocket and with the liner its great for when its cold and when it gets toasty it feels pretty good with the liner out its still a little warm in the summer with it but not unbearable

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I'm going to go with the leather jacket. If it does well in damp weather, I might as well go for it!

Anyone have more information about the textile jackets?

My textile of choice....
Scorpion Hat Trick Mesh/Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

It has 2 different liners that can be worn separate or together. One for wind/rain and the other for cool weather, or remove both for the hot days. Very well built jacket w/ CE armor and snaps for belt to keep it from riding up on the back. I had a buddy go down at over 60 in the same jacket (lowside), rode the bike down for quite aways sliding with it and only has a drag mark on the side/back to show for. His jeans were trashed and he got some rash on the hip/legs but his torso and arms were untouched. RED/YELLOW/BLUE are $145 on clearance!

i am for leather personally. something about a jacket that has holes in it already makes me nervous. when it reaches high 90's here i just grab a spray bottle and soak my t-shirt down and leave the neck strap unbuttoned for good airflow. yes, a leather jacket can be real hot but it's worth it when all else fails.

Back