I've made a new bike decision!

kdawg31337

Registered
Well, I've finally made a decision on my first motorcycle. After countless hours of thought and research, it's come down to the Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom.

What do you guys think of that as a first bike? I've ridden before and feel ~600 cc's are just too wimpy for cruisers.

The next step after will be a Busa!!

cool.gif

My wife has one, she likes it. We swap every once and a while and I'll ride her's for a change of pace. If anything it really makes me appreciate the busa.

Are you looking at the v-star as a transitional step to a Busa? Seems like quite a disparity in mission statement. The Yamaha warrior would be a little closer (sportier if thats possible) anyway. I see a lot of people buy cruisers as first bikes. Not exactly sure why, but I think they may seem a little less intimidating than a standard or sport bike. As first bikes go you could do a lot worse than the V-star though. We seem to have a lot of Harley converts on here. So theres hope for everyone.

My friend had the same bike, he liked it. I rode it quite a few times and liked it. Its still a cruiser though and the busa will be nothing like it. I personally think an SV 650 or Z750 or something like that would be better. The cruisers dont turn, stop or respond quite like a sportbike or standard. This could be an issue for a new rider.

<!--EDIT|GSXTacy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155399813 -->

V-star is a pretty good cruiser, but as stated above I would go with a Warrior as its handling is as close to a sport tourer as you will find in the cruiser world. You will also get used to buying new rear tires as I think the RSW eats them as fast as the Busa.
Downsides to the RSW-- sucks for passengers -- was uncomfy (for me) -- No storage (zip nada zero)-- not much range (bout 120mi on a tank)
With a corbin seat and aftermarket bars it was pretty okay
Upsides -- monster torque (from idle up)-- great handling (for a cruiser)-- bike gets tons of attention
If you get a RSW -- buy used -- resale sucks on em

Member Draycore did just this.....
After tagging along with several of us every year on a motorcycle trip to various locations.
He gave up his Yamaha V-Star for a 02 Busa...
The V-Star is a comfortable bike with plenty of power. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with your choice. That is until you finally take the plunge and give a Busa a try. But in the mean time enjoy the ride and keep us posted with pic's!

An 1100cc power-cruiser as a FIRST bike?? Well, at least you've ridden before. Whatever the final decision, ride safe, ATGATT and take an MSF course. Hope the new bike brings many hours of riding pleasure, and as was said, pics are a necessity.

Cheers!

P.S. There's a link on the right side of my signature to some info about the MSF courses.

The V-Star 1100 was my first bike and it was alright I guess. But why get a cruiser when you're going to transition to a busa later on?
rock.gif
Totally different feel IMO. Why not get a sportbike in the first place? I made the mistake of getting a cruiser as a first bike cause people told me the busa is not good as a first bike (which I disagree and consider B/S) and being 6'6" I didn't want to look like an idiot in a smaller sportbike. The cruiser got old real quick and ended up selling it after six months.

<!--EDIT|boribusa69
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155412044 -->

Well, I've finally made a decision on my first motorcycle. After countless hours of thought and research, it's come down to the Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom.

What do you guys think of that as a first bike? I've ridden before and feel ~600 cc's are just too wimpy for cruisers.

The next step after will be a Busa!!
If you plan on getting a Busa, I'd suggest getting a gixxer 600... because it's a Suzuki, you'll be able to move up to a busa with no trouble down the line and you should seriously begin on a sportbike if your ultimate goal is to own the ultimate sportbike. Riding a cruiser may prepare you for the "road" and get used to being a rider... but it won't prepare you for a busa. 1100cc on a cruiser is different than 1300cc on a sportbike. If you're even considering a big cruiser as your first bike, you should just forget the notion of ever getting a busa. I think if you had the "sportbike blood" in you right now, you'd be looking at sportbikes and not cruisers...

I don't know, but you getting a cruiser to prep for a busa is like buying a Jeep Wrangler to prep for owning a Vette... just two entirely different machines.

<!--EDIT|PaNDeM1C
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155411107 -->

Everyone who owns a sportbike (especially all of us who own busa's) wants more than a just a typical "cruise" down the road. You have to have a little bit of childishness left in you to ride a sportbike because the urge to go fast is always there... and most of the time you'll do it. Sure a sportbike can be ridden tamely like a cruiser... but why would you want to do that?

In the end, get what you want....

I'd suggest just getting a busa NOW and be done with it if you've got the money! But I wouldn't suggest getting a cruiser if you want to go fast and work your way up to a busa...

If you really think you want to own a busa and love the looks of it... start on a smaller sportbike. Because even the 600 sportbikes can FLY!!!

Great to hear all your words....the reason why I am going with this bike is because of comfort. I'll be riding this thing for 10 hour trips at some points and I have no inclination of doing that on a gixxer 600 or something of the like. As I said, I rode a ~600 cc cruiser and thought it had no muscle so I figure about double that will be plenty power without really putting me into a danger zone. I'm not really comparing the busa to this bike, but am simply thinking 2 wheel experience somewhere is better than nowhere.

No matter what you got, its the feeling of just being out on your bike enjoying ridding aroung with friends. Be careful and have a good time..

Congrats.
smile.gif

Back