I've got a sponsor

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
I just got through setting up a new e-mail account and adding it to my Pay-Pal account so that I could try to raise some money for my track habit.

Well, I saw RSD on the board, and figured he had been dealing with paypal a lot lately, so I PM'd him with questions to make sure I had it set up correctly.
Next thing I knew...I had my first donation to my track fund
beerchug.gif

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Thanks Andy ! ! !</span></span>
...Andy gets an RSD sticker on the bike for being the first...

I know I won't get rich with this, but it was an idea I've been toying with for while seeing as how expensive my habit is getting.

Support my habit (PayPa; only for now): stkr.racing@yahoo.com
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142045432 -->

Thanks Sled. It is truely voluntary. All I can promise is that every donation will go towards track fees, tires, gas, tires, race entry fees, tires, and did I mention tires?
laugh.gif

I'll donate. That way there can be a yamahor sticker on a suzuki!!
laugh.gif
Actually, if you really are doing sponsor stickers on the bike, Paul (GMbusa) might be willing to donate for a place on there for Gator Motors.
wink.gif
Shoot, I might donate for that, I owe paul anyway.

Thanks Ben
cool.gif

I don't know what I'm doing for stickers right now. I've got a guy lined up to shoot the paint for me since I can't find anywhere to do it myself. Once it's painted I'll be getting stickers. RSD's sticker is just going to be some vinyl letters.

If someone donates and has some stickers they want to send me, I'll be glad to put them on. Space is obviously limited, so I can't have anything huge though.

I'll even run some ORG stickers.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142056191 -->

Here's how I came up with the stkr.racing donation/sponsor idea.

I've been riding for the last 27 years, and have always dreamed of being able to participate in road racing on a motorcycle. After spending 12 years in the Navy, and raising my daughter, I finally got to a point in my life where I could start to live a little again. I bought my Hayabusa in October of 2003. Not my first bike, but my first sportbike. I couldn't believe that I had waited that long to get a sportbike.

After 1-1/2 years on the Busa, I attended my first track day at Road America with NESBA, and fellow member WWJD. We had identical twin Busa's on the track, and it was the most fun I have had in many, many years. I knew I was hooked on the track after the first session. I'm pretty sure Greg could sense my enthusiasm. One month later, I was back at Road America with NESBA again. This time I was solo. I had tuned the suspension according to Jinkster, and was amazed at how well the Busa handled. The drawback was that I was now risking my beautiful Busa on the track. I couldn't bear the thought of seeing her wadded up in the gravel, so...I purchased a used '98 Suzuki GSXR-600 that was already a fully prepped race bike. Not anything too special, but well maintained with race plastics, and fully safety wired. A lot cheaper investment to risk at the track. This is also when I sold by Busa, because I found myself riding on the street like I would on the track, and I would have ended up in jail or dead if I continued.

During the rest of the year, I went to four more track days, and also attended a race licensing school. The first track day with the new bike, I crashed in the rain with only minor damage. The license class was also a rainy day, and I crashed when my front brake caliper stuck causing the front end to wash out on me. Fairly minor damage again. This was also the end of the season.

Over the winter, I took my gixxer to a professional race shop and had them check the bike over. The engine is in great shape, the clutch got rebuilt, the carbs synched, had a dyno check done (82 hp
laugh.gif
), and also had the bike measured on the Computrack alignment machine. This is where it got expensive. The frame was tweaked and the trail was too short, so they had to correct all of that. The bike is now ready for this season mechanically, but this cost me around $1000. Prior to these repairs, I bought a set of Armour Bodies race plastics to replace the old cracked ones. This was $600 spent before I knew the frame was tweaked. So...over the winter I've basically spent what was supposed to be my track budget.

My track budget is funded soley from what used to be my monthly Hayabusa payment, so it takes time to build up a reserve. I am scheduled to retake the race licensing class at Road America on April 21st, and I have a free trackday there on the 19th from gixxer.com, so after that, I'll need another set of tires which is about $300.

When I got to looking at all of the money that I need versus the money that I have, and the allotment going into the account...The budget looked pretty bad. This is when I thought about ways to generate "sponsorship". I don't have a racing resume yet that would allow me to approach the typical sponsors, so I thought why not set up a paypal account and then just ask for voluntary donations to help out. As long as people know that I'm probably not going to be on the podium anytime soon, and I'm still just a novice racer, then I'm not decieving them to get their money. I just figure that any dollar I get donated is one dollar more than I had to start with.

Dam...I got kinda long winded on that one...sorry
blush.gif

Donations: see my signature
wink.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Thanks
beerchug.gif

I just figured maybe someone had a big pot of money they didn't know what to do with, so I'm giving them an option.
laugh.gif

I guess there's no-one here with an extra bag of money laying around...huh?
laugh.gif

Good deal Jim!

I'm in for some down the road...hubby's kind of not so happy with all of my "donations" lately, so I'm laying low so he doesn't start saving up for divorce
laugh.gif

Congrats on the sponsorship though! Personally, I think you should put a pic of RSD in that "bikini" a few weeks back...conversation piece!
tounge.gif

I think what I'll do is make up a Sponsor Board to be displayed while I'm at the track, and also when I'm doing appearances at the local dealership.  This way I can give everyone credit for their support.

The local dealership Ace Powersports is sponsoring some amateur racers, and I've submitted a resume to them. They said when it's all set up, I'll get some shirts/hats/pullover to wear at the track, plus some stickers for the bike, and then a NICEdiscount for services/parts. Not a cash sponsor, but it all helps. When they have an open house/event, then I've agreed to bring the bike and be part of the event.

I would be proud to list any ORG members on the board that donate, as well as Hayabusa.org as a whole. I'm going to try to set up a mailing list so that anyone donating would also receive a newsletter type update on my progress or current events with a few pictures if possible.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can give back to those that donate even though I know it will probably not be in the form of a top ten finish. Ideas are always welcome though.

Thanks Everybody
cool.gif

Back