It's time to ban the motorcycle..........

isiahstites

Registered
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/citylin...o-ban-the-motorcycle-20110613,0,4414821.story

Auto Erotica: It's time to ban the motorcycle
There, I said it. It needed to be said.

by Hugh Curran
11:00 a.m. EDT, June 13, 2011

What if I were to tell you that the fatality rate for those of us who drive a car or truck is 14 out of every 100,000 drivers? That’s a distressing statistic but it’s far below what it once was.

Now, what if I were to tell you that there’s a vehicle on the road today that increases your chances of being killed while driving it by more than 500 percent, producing an average of 72 fatalities for every 100,000 users?

That vehicle would represent a pretty silly and dangerous way to get around, don’t you think? But wait — there’s more. What if this vehicle produced 11 percent of all driving fatalities, effectively erasing gains made from years of declining motor-vehicle deaths? Would you want to drive that vehicle? Would you want your loved ones to drive it?

Surprisingly, registrations for this vehicle increased by more than 63 percent from 1997 to 2005, with the fatalities that resulted rising at a disproportionately high rate.

Add to all that the fact that this vehicle can emit 10 to 20 times the quantity of nitrogen oxide than standard automobiles because so many of these vehicles don’t require a catalytic converter. In some states, they don’t even require insurance.

This deathtrap, of course, is the motorcycle, and it’s time for the grownups to take a stand and say enough is enough.

The above statistics come from a U.S. Department of Transportation study released in October 2007 entitled, “Action Plan To Reduce Motorcycle Fatalities.” Ironically, the welcome page is from then-U.S. Secretary of Transportation Mary E. Peters, who talks about breaking her collarbone while riding one.

I’m not a motorcyclist. What, then, gives me the right to call for the end of what many millions of Americans love to do? Well, first, there is the emotional factor. A friend’s older brother — only in his early 20s — was killed in a head-on collision. Another friend’s father shattered his leg going around a curve. A few weeks ago, a friend was hit by a car and suffered a puncturedlung and a partially collapsed lung, two shattered vertebra, a broken scapula and clavicle, fivebroken ribs — some in multiple places — and has lost feeling in his lower back and left leg. He’s 23.

Then, there’s the economic impact that motorcycle crashes have on you and me. The cost to us all in terms of increased health-insurance costs — if not direct taxpayer costs — to cover those people injured in and by motorcycle accidents who can’t afford to pay. The increased cost of auto insurance from damage inflicted and received, not to mention untold billions in insurance payouts to motorcycle drivers. The court time taken up by accidents involving motorcycle drivers. The cost of accident-scene public services such as police and fire.

It’s good news that motorcycle fatalities dropped 24 percent in Florida in 2009, and yet, the Florida Department of Transportation estimates Floridians will still have to pay $190 million to cover unpaid costs associated with motorcycle crashes this year alone, as reported by WFTV News in Orlando.

Look at the above statistics again. If a certain model of car produced that kind of horrendous increase in deaths — 72 fatalities per 100,000 compared to the car and truck norm of 14 per 100,000 — the public would demand an instant halt to the production and sale of that flawed vehicle.

Driving is not a right — it’s a privilege, granted by us, the American people, to those deemed responsible enough to exercise that privilege. We are doing a disservice to our fellow Americans when we indulge their interests in an inherently unsafe vehicle. Maybe there was a time in the past when cars and trucks drove slowly enough or were small enough to allow the luxury of a vehicle that has no seat belt, no door or hood or metal around it. But no more.

Beyond the actual costs to taxpayers is the realization that we’re losing more than 4,300 motorcycle drivers a year nationally who would have been far more likely to survive with airbags and crumple zones around them.

And I won’t even mention the obvious stupidity of not legally requiring — or wanting — the wearing of helmets.

Perhaps it’s time for those people who have lost a loved one or friend in a motorcycle accident to stand up and ask that, at the very least, these vehicles be restricted to off-road areas and tracks. Friends try to keep friends from engaging in needless risks, and that’s what motorcycles are, even when operated by well-trained, responsible drivers.

Contact Hugh Curran at kanga573@aol.com.

If they removed ALL cars and trucks from the roadways...motorcycle fatalities wouldn't be a issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

Most of us are responsible drivers, we all take a risk when we get on our bikes, but the risk is from the people in the cars who don’t look for or pay attention to the motorcycle rider, I know when I drive my jeep I am always looking for motorcycles, giving them extra room what ever I can to make sure my jeep is not going to cause them harm, I cant count the number of times a car will get right on my bike or cut me off, hell in the last week I had an older woman in a BMW almost side swipe me and a soccer mom in a mini van push me into the median because she was looking at her kid instead of what was around her, I know the risk when I get on Heidi Busa but the problem is not most bikes its most people in the automobile granted there are some people who get on a bike and do not respect what they are on and those are the people every one wants to focuses on, statements like the one above really rub me the wrong way!

You can't text,read a paper, do your hair and makeup, or shave your private parts while riding, ban cars and trucks instead :laugh:

Ban motorcycles and I'll get a Turbo mustang, ban the Mustang and I'll get an bus, ban the bus and I'll get an airplane...
Posted via Mobile Device

typical American answer to a problem....

ignore the root cause of most traffic accidents, poor driving....ignore the fact that most states require MC riders to pass more stringents driving tests..and just keep passing out rivers licenses to anyone with a pulse...

yet again the real cause of the problem is being ignored. the PROBLEM is car drivers not looking out for bikers and if we are being honest some bikers riding like idiots. sort out peoples driving/riding skills and the statistics would change drastically.

Sportbikes are like guns! A sportbike will never hurt a person just sitting there, they only become dangerous in the hands of people not responsible or mature.
How about banning cagers that dont see the cyclist?
I say get this editors information and we all harass him from here and pass it on to other motorcycle forums. I am sure the hardcore bikers would really get something going? Grim Rippers, Outlaws etc. How about? Whos going to stand up for us and get this editors information??

typical American answer to a problem....

ignore the root cause of most traffic accidents, poor driving....ignore the fact that most states require MC riders to pass more stringents driving tests..and just keep passing out rivers licenses to anyone with a pulse...

And not re-test when a person has their license for hmmm....let's say 40 years?
Gotta keep current, informed and reevaluated.
Not trying to age discriminate but, parts wear out.
My 2 penny's

Land of the free, until some else doesn't like what you are doing. Then it's the land of passing laws to protect you from yourself.

banning would never happen for motorcycles. the fact that they pump gazillion dollars into the economy would stop that. Plus, if it was ever even the slightest bit possible of happening, motorcycle companies along with everyone else would show the facts of cars killing bikers due to inattention and not bikers skill level causing the deaths. Don't get me wrong, there are dumba$$es on bikes out there, but they aren't the majority.
my thoughts on the matter

This argument comes up regularly. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has been one of the most vocal (can't remember the black widow's name).

In this case, the writer was obviously incensed and distraught by the recent deaths that touched him, nearly all young people. The only really good point he made was for helmet laws. I guess that means if I'm contradicting ABATE, so be it. We require seat belts and air bags in cars. High quality, full face helmets for motorcyclists just makes sense.

Here's an interesting article comparing horseback riding to motorcycles. I'm sure you could make the same article about snow and water skiing, bicycling, airplane flying, mountain climbing, and many other things that make life worth living. As I've said many times before, I would rather die doing something I loved, than to die wishing I had done something.

Book of Odds: The Dangers of Hog & Horse Accidents
The Dangers of Hog & Horse Accidents
Posted By: Zachary Turpin
When you think of the dangers of riding a motorcycle you might visualize a mound of crushed steel, bleeding gas and oil over the white lines of a highway. But believe it or not, per capita, horseback riding is 20 times more dangerous.

In a landmark 1985 study, Dr. J.L. Firth estimated that while "a serious incident can be expected at the rate of 1 per 7,000 hours of motorcycle riding, serious injury rates exceeding one per 350 horse riding hours have been described, making horseback riding 20 times more dangerous than motorcycling. Effectively, horseback riding, motorcycling, and automobile racing are the three most dangerous sports." As far as injuries go, horseback riding leads to more spills on average than motorcycling.

The odds a person will visit an emergency department due to a horseback riding accident in a year are 1 in 3,837. Most of these accidents are caused when a horse bucks or bolts, throwing the rider, and female injury rates are typically higher.

Trying to figure out which is more deadly isn’t easy as mortality numbers associated with horseback riding are unknown in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Some speculate that there is a lack of publicity for horseback riding accidents because many horse accidents occur on private property and tend not to generate police reports.

Statistics on motorcycle deaths, however, are readily available and the numbers are stark. In 2006, 4,837 motorcyclists died in accidents, and a further 88,000 were injured. Compare that to 2,116 killed and 53,000 injured in 1997—in one decade, the number of injuries almost doubled, and deaths more than doubled. The odds a motorcyclist will be injured in an accident in a year are 1 in 82.55. The odds a motorcyclist will be killed in an accident in a year are 1 in 1,488, about the same odds a person will be diagnosed with breast cancer in a year (1 in 1,506). And the odds a rider killed in a motorcycle accident in a year was not wearing a helmet are 1 in 2.39.

History bears out just how risky both motorcycling and horseback riding can be. Horseback riding has resulted in the deaths of such historical figures as Mongol emperor Genghis Khan, Ellen Church (the first airline stewardess), and, arguably, actor Christopher Reeve. Motorcycle accidents, meanwhile, have claimed the lives of astronaut Pete Conrad (the third man to walk on the moon), novelist John Gardner, and British military officer T.E. Lawrence “of Arabia.”

Ultimately, while motorcycles and horses occupy different spheres of injury-influence, arguments concerning their relative dangers will, with luck, end in a safety lesson.

After treating T.E. Lawrence's fatal head wounds, neurosurgeon Hugh Cairns, deeply moved by the experience, pioneered research that ultimately led to the widespread use of motorcycle helmets.​

umm...:wtf: did that guy just say?? he's not a bike rider?? well, what the hell is he doin makin statements of which he has no clue about , where does he get off spouting this nonsense?? ban the motorcycle?? is he stupid or just insane?? somebody needs a good smack in the back of the head... just sayin...

k- i'm all better now:thumbsup:

some peoples children.......

If they removed ALL cars and trucks from the roadways...motorcycle fatalities wouldn't be a issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unfortunately that is not true. Motorcycle kill themselves regardless whether it be speeding, acting stupid, or something other neglection actions that lead to fatality. The same is said for people in cars though, but you do not see them trying to ban cars. People are neglegent and stupid regardless of what they are operating.

This hugh guy is an idiot.

My point was that it would greatly reduce accidents and fatalities...
Posted via Mobile Device

Back