Its official..speed limiters in 2001

G

Just announced. Beginning in the year 2001 all motorcycles will be limited to 186 mph, with more reductions to follow. 174 mph in the second stage with a projected final stage of 155 mph. Get those socially unacceptable motorcycles while you still can.

What is the source of this information and which countries does it apply to ?

[This message has been edited by dazee (edited 28 February 2000).]

Its headlined in the motorcycle news dated Feb 29, 2000. The agreement was signed by both European and Japanese motorcycle manufacturers. Goes into effect next year. Initially, its effect will be in Europe. A spokesman for Ducati stated that he wanted to see a limit of 155 mph by the second year.

www.motorcyclenews.com

Look under BIKES

Tom, I'm wondering where did you hear this. Could you post on the board where you found it. Alot of us would like to know, I myself have heard nothing about it. BOB

By the time posted and refreshed you already posted. Thank's, it will give me something to research tonight. Nothing going at work.

Dont agree with anything !
If you give them your finger they will take
your arm as fast as you wouldn't belive it !

We should never surrender.
All these little politicians are in fact controlled by there mothers, and we all know
what they are saying "Drive carefully".
I dont like motorcycles. bla bla. bla.

They simple want to get rid of us, and every
step in that direction has to be stopped.
It is as simple as that.

/Ove (Sweden, Stockholm)

I've been with ABATE of California since 1992 fighting for various rights of motorcyclist.One of the first laws was to over turn the Helmet Law.Now for those of you who disagree with me that's OK,as you can see I said the Helmet Law and not your Right to wear a Helmet or not it's your right.
As ABATE gathered information about why we were pushed into this LAW,most of the information came from the Medical Assoc. and Insurance company.As we investigated we found out that the Federal Government was with holding Federal money from states that did not push the Helmet Laws and Seat Belt laws which we found to be a way to BLACK MAIL a state to push these laws throught so that they would receive their Federal money.We also found out that alot of the motorcycle accident numbers that was used to push these laws throught were over inflated and did not take into account for accident that involved a car turning left infront of the motorcyclist and also the total number of accident included off road motorcycle accident which include three wheel bikes.So as you can see the government can do anything they want to motorcyclist who sit on their BUTTS and do not get involve with your local AMA, ABATE or other motorcycle Rights group.Look at it this way we are like the NRA who fight for the RIGHT to BEAR ARMS.
The people that run the government are now becoming SAFTEY CZARS and want to decide for you what is right or wrong.This is America and it use to be the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. We still have Brave people who come back from wars of far but are told that agent orange is ok, and any medical shots taking during the Gulf war was ok and not to worry.Now do we sit back and whine or do we stand up for our Rights and for the rights of others who have falling for us over the years.Sorry to go off the subject but remember stand alone and do nothing or join a group and be counted. Ride Safe

Cisco,

Are you living in a different USA than I am? Last time I looked i wasn't that free. It is an illusion. People are willing ti give up all rights for a little more "saftey".

But on the high performance motorcycle issue:
Those of you that claim that cars aren't limited need to look no further than the German car manufacturers. They have voluntary restrictions on them. One manufacturer held out (Porsche) and refused. Why didn't the German government force this on them. Easy: Bankrupcy. If they couldn't make fast cars they wouldn't sell anything.

I would not be surprised to see the 136hp limit on bikes. Why you ask? Well that is 100kW and seeing that all offical numbers for power are in kW it is a nice round number to go by. Also the 186 mph is approxiamtely 300km/h.

I think it is very feasable that this will spill over into the US as producing a castrated busa for the rest of the world would not sell well. The trend will mostlikely continue to produce bikes at the 136hp limit while making them lighter. Remember that with staged licensing, you can'y ride with more than a certian amount of ccs or hp buit nothing ius sadi about weight. A 136 hp biek that weights 200 lbs would suit many people fine.

-Dana

I don't get the limitations thing. My math may be shakey, but take speed in mps, weight in grams, Chevy's big Suburban and a Hayabusa:

Busa 510 lbs (231336 grams) at 200 mph (89.405 mps) for 1,849,127.413 Kj

Suburban 6600 lbs (2993760 grams) at 60 mph (26.821 mps) for 2,153,716.341 Kj

So, even at freeway speeds, a Suburban packs more punch then a 200mph Busa. Given a 200 mph bike in traffic is more likely to cause an accident, but when one occurrs, a giant SUV is going to cause alot more damage and potentially harm alot more people.

My numbers right on this?

mbuehler
I don't think kinetic energy is the issue. If you look down the road and see a Suburban coming at 60 mph, you can judge to a certain degree how safe it is to enter the road or intersection. If you see a bike traveling at 200 mph, well you don't see him cause he's not there yet.

MCN is a bit sensationalistic. You can't blame them for engaging in a bit of tabloid journalism...they need to sell copy after all. And if the Europeans won't fight for their freedoms, oh well...we told 'em so.

Here in the US, join the AMA. Even if the international market makes it so that we have to get neutered machines to start with, the political lobby will make it so that we can make whatever 'adjustments' to our streetbikes we 'need' to, and big brother will overlook it...if we fight for it. Our political system is designed to allow special interests to have their way. This is a special interest if there ever was one. Get ready to jump on the political bandwagon. Every one of us who pushes for what we want makes a difference, if you are connected to a lobby like the AMA. Believe it. Money talks in Washington D.C.

Most of the motorcycles being sold, cruisers and tourers, don't go much faster than 100 mph, and the buyers are happy. Ultra high speed bikes make up a tiny portion of total motorcycle sales, and most of the buyers of those bikes seldom if ever push them to their limits, except in their fantasies and at the bar.

So why should the manufacturers risk pissing off the politicians and public just to satisfy a very small group of customers? The last thing the industry needs is negative attention.

F uc k ing B ull S hit!!!

It never ends does it? As soon as a product becomes affordable and reliable to all consumers it seems that elitists and politicians have to start stomping d icks in the dirt or sue or threaten to sue the product manufacturers. I am for obeying the law but not for creating laws that impinge on the rights of all. I don't know of any laws or proposal for laws to limit the Porsche or Ferrari to 55mph or even 100mph!!!

Nor do I think there should be. The fact is that the people able to afford these nice, exlusive toys are able to contribute a few million in campaign contributions to the ones whom proposes these unconstitutional laws.

Mr Bear:

Don't assume that Europeans are pushovers for I can assure you that you are wrong.

When the tree huggers tried to force the leg protector through, that was met with massive opposition and was dropped like a hot potatoe. A few countries had a 100hp limit for a while (easily bypassed) and the UK had a "gentlemans agreement" of 125hp but that only lasted until Truimph produced the 144hp Daytona.

If the numbers I have read of 1600 busa's sold in the US last year are correct, this means that more busa's were sold in the UK alone (1700) also 4000+ R1's and many thousand 600's, all this in a country 5 times smaller than the US.

The Brits like their sportbikes and any move against them will be opposed vigorously....unless it's just a electronic limitation like my M3, then maybe it's best to let them introduce it and "chip" it later.

Sorry Pooh, didn't mean to get you wound up with my comment. The UK is definitely renowned as a sportbike stronghold. I hope you all can manage to keep the rest of the EU from stepping on all of us, and the fast machines we love.

One thing to keep in mind is that when the tree-huggers claim that our super-performance bikes need to be banned because they are "socially unacceptable", that really means that they cannot produce a single scrap of statistical safety data to buttress their claim that a ban is called for. "Socially acceptable" according to whom? I'd like to get good and drunk and throw up on them, to show them what socially unacceptable is. That is an absolute crock of bull****.

Back