It's amazing what an ASP (collapsible baton) can accomplish....

Rev. 6:5

Registered
I get a call last night of a fight in progress. I'm the only unit nearby that's available, so I have no back-up on the way. I roll up and to call this a fight in progress would be an understatement. I rolled up on a literal riot in progress and called out on the radio as such. I had a car load of 7 black males/females trying to take on a known gang house of approximately 30 Hispanics having a party. Racial slurs are being thrown from both ends until the black males/females decide its best to retreat to their car, which is sitting in the middle of a 6-lane major thoroughfare. I roll up and beer bottles are being smashed against the car and the 30 Hispanics are starting to rock the car like they want to flip it over. I figure if I roll out of my car with my AR-15, everybody and their mother is going to draw down on me and I'm going to be severely out-gunned. I figured the only recourse for me was to step between the two groups and pray they respected my authority. I know, slim chance considering I'm dealing with known gang members. I fortunately had the experience and self-preservation skills to pull out my ASP and flick it downward very quickly, thus expanding the baton. When I did this, both groups stepped back, thus creating that gap I needed between the two groups.

I learned many years ago that you need to talk big even when facing insurmountable odds (people can smell your fear), so I start yelling commands at the larger group to disengage from the car. Miraculously, they disengage and I'm able to keep the line of separation between them and the car until the cavalry arrives. When I say the cavalry arrived, I mean it literally rained police cars. I cleaned out my shorts, thanked God for pulling my ass out of another tight spot and kissed my ASP for giving me the edge I needed to stand up to 30 gang bangers.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, the ASP REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hurts when you're hit with it! :thumbsup:

Would you believe I didn't want to go into law enforcement? I wanted to go into the Army as a helicopter mechanic. The only slots they had available were infantry and military police. I've now been a civilian police officer for 15 years and before that was a military policeman for 7. I ended up in this career by complete accident, but I'm thankful every day for it. God gives each of us a chance in our own way to impact the lives around us and He chose this for me, even though I didn't exactly want it.

I always found that lights and sirens usually clears the crowd. My mindset is I'm going home at the end of the shift and they can fight it out until the calvary arrives.

I wouldn't bring a baton to a gun fight either :laugh:

Glad it worked out for ya. Most are strapped and stupid now-a-days.

Oh, trust me, this particular house breeds stupid. I know the house well and was afraid to escalate it unnecessarily. I knew very well that if I had come out with that rifle, I woulda had a lot more problems.

Besides, I figure if they don't respect the balls of what I did, perhaps they'd think I was mucho loco and would let me slide on this one. :rofl:

Yep verbal judo, and a little PR go a long way sometime. Stay safe, and be careful out there.:thumbsup:

Glad you came out of that one okay, i could see a lot of ways that could have ended badly.

Thanks for protecting us. :beerchug:

The Asp is a feared weapon for sure. Some people would rather be shot that take one from a trained user of the hurt stick :laugh:

I still have mine in the safe. Occasionally think of using it... :whistle:

I love mine. For the longest time we could only carry the long wooden clubs. Our former chief believed that hitting people with metal objects was bad. What he didn't think about was what is usually in our hands at night when dealing with violators....a big metal flashlight. As a matter of expediency, those flashlights were used as clubs much more often than our wooden ones. Fortunately he retired, we got a much younger and progressive chief and we were able to carry the asp.

Right on. I've always wondered if an officer would reach for his flashlight over a lil wood baton when he needed it....I know that between the two, that would probably be my choice.

It can sure be difficult to be the authority in a place where people have established different laws than the ones that should be honored. It's usually in this moment I think we should see ourselves as representing not only what is right, but also the Higher authority who made all this possible. I wonder if in these moments people sometimes 'see' more than what they are really seeing? Prayers of protection and wisdom for you, my brother. It takes pretty big kahoonas to keep doing what you're doing!:beerchug:

You can't sit comfortably in a squad with a huge baton in your belt, so it always sat in the passenger seat. On a routine traffic stop, you'd never grab the thing. Then if the motorist got frisky, what are you left with? Oh yeah, a big METAL flashlight! The former chief always wondered why our flashlights had nicks and dings in them......um, hello? Skulls aren't THAT fragile! ;)

Good job, and a lot of guts, Rev. I'm glad we have law enforcement officers who deal with the a55h0l3s of the world. Even better are ones like you who use their heads, keep their cool, and keep people from being hurt (or hurting each other!). :thumbsup:

I like mine so much I have a small and a medium.

IMG_0236.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like a loud click or snap to get peoples attentions.

I remember this one time on a stake out I was standing there and all of a sudden I hear a shotgun chamber a shell just behind the back of my head and..... well talk about cleaning out ones shorts. kind of a sound I will never forget. Some guy who was the "neighbor" "hood" watch. thought I was a criminal :rofl:

Still had to clean out my shorts :banghead"

Got to hand it to you Rev, takes large nads to do what you did. I mean I understand it, it is one of those situations where you just grimace and wish you didnt have to do it but you are felt compelled you have to do it and like you said, just hope for the best :beerchug:

As I read this, I tried to put myself in your shoes! That takes BIG BALLZ for sure. Good on you.:bowdown:

Where are you located for duty?
And your are right about not drawing the AR out. I think there was a mutual respect using the baton, as they knew you could of got out of the unit with a gun

Last edited:
Oh am I going to be in trouble for this...

I would have let them beat each other senseless and then arrested who was ever left over.. this whole gang thing is for the birds.. let the self cleaning oven go to work..

hats off to you for stepping up however.. :) so you crazy or what?

:beerchug: I hope to be in your shoes soon. I have been training/preparing everyday for the testing process here. Thank you!

Back