Itch for a twin

I tried that flash site and could not get get through...it still amuses me to see the coralation between TLR and Hayabusa owners....I too had to give up my TLR to experience the Hayabusa! Hapo would like to try to get one of thoes new Hondas, but my pals at Cycle Performance got a new TLR in a crate...juuuust sittin there...looks like a good comparision comming on, KawAbuser..."Project This!" could be the title of a forth comming artical!

Jim,
The Aprilia is a fine bike, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun on it. Oh and by the Way the fit and finish on their bikes is absolutely stunning.
Turtle

Yea, I got to look those Aprilias over real well at the Cycle World show and yes they have some beautiful machinery. That new V11 Sport Guzzi looked pretty cool to. Lots of cool bikes out there aint there.

DucAbuser has a RC51 on the way, the deposit is secured to the dealers only one.

With 996 performance for 10K the Honda should stir things up at Ducati if Honda releases another production run of these bikes. Can a Honda have soul?

These RC51's are for all intents and purposes are sold out in the US. In America these bikes list for $9999 and in the UK they are 9999 pounds ( about $18,000). Some Germans have come to the states and went around buying RC51's for export to europe. On Ebay there is one for auction. A few unscrupulous Honda dealers are taking highest bidder and another is price gouging at $12500. The UK is recieving 2,000 units and here in the US we may see 1,800. It looks as if Honda has blown the lid off the V-Twin sportbike market with low prices and Race kits available for the consumer. In North America the bike will be sold as the black framed RC51, In the rest of the world the bike is being sold as the aluminum clear coat framed SP1.

There are already some active RC51 sites, I even found Roman-99TLR over at one stirring things up a bit. And 99TLR is so reserved on this site :)

JimJib take another look at the Aprilia Mille R, it is a limited production solo seat version with Ohlins suspension and carbon fiber upgrades. You should try contacting Glenn Cook at Zero Gravity for info on the Aprilia Mille R. Glenn is responsible for the Aprilia Racing Series here in the US and knows the Aprilia product better than anyone else, he is a nice guy and will help you locate a bike.

Any guess's for the Bike of the year 2000,

Suzuki's 2000 TLR in blue, it is a shame that beautiful paint job did not end up on the Hayabusa. The 2000 Tlr's are in the showrooms . Maybe one day we will see a real GSXR1300.

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 25 November 1999).]

Humbly (I really really mean the humble part because I can see how much enthusiasm there is amongst you for these double thumpers) I ask what is the kick of any V twin? I've ridden plenty of them...they're weak. It's just embarrassing the way my Busa hammers by TLRs on short straights at the track...I honestly feel for them back in the pits. One of them said and I quote "I felt like I was in a car the way you pulled away."

Who cares about trick bits and fit/finish if she's not the nastiest whore on the block? Why waste good lingerie on a sexless woman?

I don't mind putting trick bits on my Busa because she deserves them and can use them to put even more distance between me and the competition.

But surely putting trick bits on a twin is like putting a cam in a Studebaker...

If someone is SERIOUS about the RC51 I know where to get them. A friend of mine works at a dealer in the chicago area, and they will receive 8. Yes 8. E-mail me and I will put you in touch. ramair1@flash.net--
Bob

One more point I'm sure I'll get crucified or ignored for.

A few weeks ago I bumped into a guy on an MV Augusta gold at a stop sign on a nice twisty road in the country. Isn't that a twin? Malcolm knows this bike. He had $3,000 leathers on and knee pucks without a mark on them and I felt sorry for him. I pulled up beside his $50,000 bike on my $12,000 sh*tcan and he averted his eyes.

By the way I just hammered him at the takeoff and shook my head (not so he could see) in disgust. He made no effort whatever to keep up.

V2? Not for me.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 25 November 1999).]

DP-
It gets worse. The MV is a radially valved in line four. Like a GSXR 750. Cycle
World said that a GSXR 750 will not only run with the MV, but has more power. Our
bikes are about the best deal out there IMHO. The ten i paid for the bussa would not
even build my ducati up to specs-I know all about "Italian Mystique" im on my fourth
ducati in thirty years-
ducmanic
LAbusas

Duc OK on the MV I stand corrected. I've ridden several Desmo Ducs since the first big 750 I jumped on in 1972 (there actually are some non-desmo Ducs!) and I find them all really short on power. Long on handling but short on power. If I were a better rider I might go for one, but the Busa's power makes up a lot for me on long courses. And on the highway there is NO competition. I mean, what is the likelihood that Turbo Rick is going to pull up beside you on a 16 laner? Or anywhere else?

Konrad...always with the incisive question.

Many years ago as a punk 20 something year old with an already well-established need for speed I saw a man in a new Ferrari Daytona shift through 3 gears before he got to the other side of the intersection.

I swore to myself that if I ever got myself a great machine I would USE IT, nevermind it if broke or lost value from the thrashing or not.

I have kept that promise to myself.

Why sorry for that guy? Owning a machine like an MV Augusta and treating it like some kind of "investment" is a travesty and a sham. If the owner of a great machine can't or won't use that machine, I feel sorry for him.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 26 November 1999).]

One the Aprilia Mille, did anyone see the motor? It's manufactured by Rotax! Who also builds the motors for some of the BMW scooters and bikes, Bombardier Sea-Doo, Bombardier ATV's. I think that Bombardier also owns Rotax?

Anyway, there is talk about Bombardier getting into the bike business also. I'm hoping that they buy out Aprilia myself.

Should know within a couple of years!

They were there years ago as CAN-AM, anyone remember Jimmy Ellis, he was there superstar motocrosser back in the seventies.
Rotax motors are very good and have always been so.

Eastern Cycle Performance is involved in Snowmobile Drag Racing and getting some sick numbers off a Rotax 2 stroke.

Check this out at, www.easterncycleperf.com

Is a 2 stroke snowmobile powered drag bike in the future?????????? Take a look!

There sure are a lot of nice twins that are/will be hitting the market. If I was lookng for a new twin I would have a hard time deciding. Maybe you can post some personal pics of your Aprilia sometime?

TL1000R is what all you guys should be getting.I've owned one of the first year 1998 and was the best twin ever for me.No mods where done to the bike and the bike rips from 40mph to Redline and for the price you can't beat it $8,000 to $10,020 out the door.The down side was the heat which comes from under the seat and the stumble at low end or take off from a stop light but with the remap and airbox mod this bike rips and it also has a nice sound.If you go to most European Website and check out some of the mods they have done and you'll change your mind about getting a Honda.I'm not ripping on the Honda bike but when they came out with the Honda Hawk the TLR ate it up.Suzuki V-twin engine is also used on other bikes cause these other makers know how good a engine the TLR V-twin is.You can get caught up in the Mags telling you how great these other bikes are but until you get on one and ride it you'll find out that I'm telling you like it is.I had to get rid of my TLR and 89 Gsxr to make room for my Hayabusa and able to keep both of my Harleys the insurance would have ate me alive.Don't get caught up in the Hype do your homework and save your money.My 2cents

Cisco, there has not been a lot of magazine hype on the RC51, but if you think Honda is sinking it's future into FIM and AMA Superbike with a slug you may want to sit back and see what happens. I am a Suzuki person and never ever wanted a Honda (they suck to wrench, they bury stuff behind other stuff on their bikes).

The TLR is a fine motorcycle but I am suprised Suzuki has not done more with it, the new Honda and the existing version are as much alike as a GSXR1100 is to a Hayabusa.

We will see in the spring.

Back