It was just a trip around the block,, WEAR YOUR LID!!!!

Sorry to hear this, hope you heal well.
Get a good atty as it seems like a large settlement is in your future.

Hey thanks guys. It will take time, but i'm not gonna let this keep my off 2 wheels. I can promise you that any bike i put my leg over i will have a helmet on before i put the key in. I feel like a selfish tool right now cause i can even play with my little boy right now. He understands but thats not the point. I made a bad choice by not pulling a helmet over my dome and it has affected him.

Safety is written in blood. It seems no one wants to take it seriously until something like this brings it to light. Unfortunately this bad decision has had rather serious life changing consequences. I wish you the best and hope you make a full recovery.

Last edited:
i was debating signing up with Aflac tomorrow at work because of riding even though i dress to crash all year round. this story made my mind up for sure. glad your alive and somewhat well to tell the story. now box easy and mend up and stop craving Sprite.

Brother, sorry for your experience and pain. Sharing the story is a very dutiful thing to do. Get better fast.

sorry to hear this, prayers sent for a full recovery

Glad to hear you are at least upright and breathing brother! I have a friend whose family are major Harley buffs, and they don't wear any gear whatsoever. In fact they take cheap shots at me because of the gear I wear when I ride, and top it off with "You need to because of the bike you ride. Harley riders don't need gear because we are just going out for a cruise."

Last summer my friend and his kid brother were out for a "cruise" when a truck decided to stop short in front of them. The kid brother ended up laying his Roadglide down in an effort to avoid the truck. The problem being that the impact of laying his bike down caused him to smack his head on the pavement. Then after he hit his bike he went flying through the air and smacked his head again. Similar situation, he was violent and vomiting at the scene. A few hours later he was in the OR having half of his skull removed to relieve the swelling in his brain. Long story short, he has regained nearly all of the function he had before the crash, he even got his motorcycle license back. Damn lucky if you ask me.

After all of that, do you think they wear helmets when they ride? Uh... nope! In fact, my friend gave me hell because I rented a Roadglide for a few days and was out riding it while wearing a helmet. Oh well.

Again, glad to hear your are alright!!!!!

Wow.. Glad to hear you're ok. :please:

Prayers sent for a FULL recovery. That includes gettin a new bike. :beerchug:

glad to see you finnaly posting this up matt....you know we been worried about you since the accident...just keep talking and we will continue to keep praying you heal up....

it’s the little things we forget sometimes, thanks for reminding all of us and glad you got lucky and survived

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery; and you never know you could have changed a mind and saved a life with this post. I would way rather upset someone by telling them to wear gear than have to hear anyone suffered like you did. If it's faster then I can run, I'm in gear. ATVs, Dirtbikes, motorcyles, bicycles, etc, bottom line physics doesn't give a d@mn about what threw you off, making it to the ground with layers to spare is the name of the game.

Heal up sir, and thanks again for your reminder!

Awe man I hope you get well soon. That just sucks all the way around. Ill say a prayer for you tonight and believe me my helmet is always on. Good luck and keep us posted.

man, sorry to hear that happened to you bro. I'm a firm believer in wearing my gear.
Some of the guys ask me why I gear up like I do all the time. I give them the same response. "Why don't you go out in the street now in your regular clothes, stand there then fall backwards without catching yourself. See how bad that hurts and now then think about doing that at speed...."

a group of buddies who i work with just finished the msf course over the weekend. 1 of them was leading the pack and driving over an obstruction (2x4) and accidentally hit the shifter and put the bike in neutral causing him to slow down fast. well, #2 buddy was too close to his tail and ended up running over the lead guy and flipping over the bike. now, these guys used to mess with me about my gear until my bud skinned his knee and elbow(jeans & sweatshirt) while the other got bruised up good. now, all of them are considering getting real gear to cover there hides. sorry to jack your thread but wanted to re enforce your point.

Back