It is getting out of hand...

Slowstang305

Registered
Had a pretty bad experience today and I will say it has made me nervous just a bit. I was in a 2 lane road (one lane each direction) and traffic came to a halt. I always watch my mirrors till 2 cars behind me come to a stop. A gold wagon Subaru was going 40ish and did not see us all stopped (daylight, sunny South FL, beautiful weather) and slammed on his brakes at the last second. Luckily I saw what was happening and gunned it out of the lane. He came to a stop where I would have been....

What do you guys do in these situations? Do you all stop to the side of the cars? From what I noticed the local police do not like that very much. Shook me up a bit but I assume the person was on their phone.

Had a pretty bad experience today and I will say it has made me nervous just a bit. I was in a 2 lane road (one lane each direction) and traffic came to a halt. I always watch my mirrors till 2 cars behind me come to a stop. A gold wagon Subaru was going 40ish and did not see us all stopped (daylight, sunny South FL, beautiful weather) and slammed on his brakes at the last second. Luckily I saw what was happening and gunned it out of the lane. He came to a stop where I would have been....

What do you guys do in these situations? Do you all stop to the side of the cars? From what I noticed the local police do not like that very much. Shook me up a bit but I assume the person was on their phone.
I always stop behind the car in front of my, but as close to the shoulder as possible to have an easy way out around the car in front of me if I need to, keep it in first and tap on my brakes to make my brake light “blink” until I see the guy behind my is almost stopped . I’ll take red’s spot here and post this video that I saw some time ago and never forgot about it.

Watch your mirrors, be prepared for anything, and always give yourself an out(whenever possible).
The bike pointed towards the clearest and safest direction/escape path. A car length or more of cushion in front of you (whenever possible).
In gear, ready to go.
I do tap my brakes alot when slowing and stopped with cars behind me, to make the brake light flash fast and be more eye catching.
You're always invisible(I strive for that, lol).

Does anyone know of a stop lamp (brake light) flasher set up available to plug and play? A really bright fast flashing LED array would be really good.
Even if it just flashed for the first few seconds of braking as a 'wake up' alert to snoozing car drivers following or approaching a line of traffic.
I've often thought of this idea, to retro fit to my existing lamp, or even a separate led array mounted to the rear cowl above the tail lamp.

This was the most popular one out there. Don't know about now. Not plug and play but easy to install. Been on my bike for 7 years? No issues. BackOFF™ XP Brake Light Module - Signal Dynamics

There are some out there that use G-force to flash the lights. This is good because it will flash due to a shift or engine braking. Often I don't hit the brakes until the last moment before stopping.

There is also this: Company Introduces Helmet-Mounted Brake Light Been meaning to get one thanks for reminding me!

Yeah... I do the brake flashing thing as well pretty often to try to catch people's attention but I think the greater problem is their phones are taking 99% of their attention and driving the remaining 1%. To be honest, I think it is a losing battle going forward. While new technologies like lane control, auto braking etc will assist drivers I think it makes the drivers care less about actual driving because now there is a machine that will help them correct this action. It is definitely scary.

Does anyone know of a stop lamp (brake light) flasher set up available to plug and play? A really bright fast flashing LED array would be really good.
Even if it just flashed for the first few seconds of braking as a 'wake up' alert to snoozing car drivers following or approaching a line of traffic.
I've often thought of this idea, to retro fit to my existing lamp, or even a separate led array mounted to the rear cowl above the tail lamp.
I use the Custom Dynamics Universal Smart Triple-Play. It's not a true plug & play but it's easy to install and comes with a wiring diagram.

I always leave some room just in case and always looking hard in the mirrors to see if the vehicle is slowing down. Last year in my car I was hit at a stop light when I was boxed in and had no where to go. I wish I was on my bike that day !

7.JPG

Good on you to be alert and get out of the way. I watch the mirrors religiously until the cars behind me are stopped. I always knew to do that but learned the hard way never to get distracted; years ago I was stopped on my Zuma scooter waiting for a break in traffic to turn when a car slammed me from behind going about 45mph. That took a bit of healing and was a lesson I'll never forget.

Yeah... I do the brake flashing thing as well pretty often to try to catch people's attention but I think the greater problem is their phones are taking 99% of their attention and driving the remaining 1%. To be honest, I think it is a losing battle going forward. While new technologies like lane control, auto braking etc will assist drivers I think it makes the drivers care less about actual driving because now there is a machine that will help them correct this action. It is definitely scary.
GODDDAYUM IPHONES

Back