It is difficult to watch the country of my descent slip into chaos.

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I watch daily news reports from Syria, the country of my fathers origin. Difficult to see news from Damascus a city in which my family has lived for over 500 years. I Skype with relatives as much as I can.
I hear it in the background when we are talking. It affects me more so than others because these are my people fighting and dying for their freedom. These are Freedom Fighters not terrorists. They are people I've known all my life. They are like you and I, families , kids , mothers and fathers. They are willing to give up everything to provide a better place for the next generation. I am thankful that I am married with children because if I wasn't I would already be there alongside them.

Assad needs to go.

FREE SYRIA...

I too greive for Syria, my friend. That government is so ruthless in what it is doing to its nobel people. And China and Russia both suck for siding with Assad in the UN. I hope if the community of nations (including the USA) do something, it doesn't turn into an "election year in fighting" political mess in our Country therefore rendering our response less effective. Although I'm a liberal Democrat, what we do to help cannot be politicized, we need to act as one country and I, personally, do not take military solutions off the table. Doyle

Raydog as much as it may 'help' I really don't want a Libya scenario. Succeed or fail I want to see them do it on their own. I do not want UN/American bombs falling on Syria.

I found it interesting that a lot of the middle east spends time degrading America, yet it was the Chinese/Russians who voted against the Arab League in pursuit of a UN resolution against Syria. Maybe the US at least gets some brownie points for supporting the Arab League.

However, I don't think there's much stomach right now taking action to support the rebels ala Libya...Frankly, I'd like to see the Arab nations solve this problem themselves and the US/UN stay out of it. The Turks are certainly capable by themselves.

Raydog as much as it may 'help' I really don't want a Libya scenario. Succeed or fail I want to see them do it on their own. I do not want UN/American bombs falling on Syria.

I understand, what about bolstering the people with advisors, arms and supplies? (AFTER the point when it's perfectly clear that the pro-Assad forces will not relent, which seems about there now?)

I found it interesting that a lot of the middle east spends time degrading America, yet it was the Chinese/Russians who voted against the Arab League in pursuit of a UN resolution against Syria. Maybe the US at least gets some brownie points for supporting the Arab League.

However, I don't think there's much stomach right now taking action to support the rebels ala Libya...Frankly, I'd like to see the Arab nations solve this problem themselves and the US/UN stay out of it. The Turks are certainly capable by themselves.

Yeah, that's probably the best course right now, it's just so painful to see the forces of evil kill the children and peaceloving communities.

I watch daily news reports from Syria, the country of my fathers origin. Difficult to see news from Damascus a city in which my family has lived for over 500 years. I Skype with relatives as much as I can.
I hear it in the background when we are talking. It affects me more so than others because these are my people fighting and dying for their freedom. These are Freedom Fighters not terrorists. They are people I've known all my life. They are like you and I, families , kids , mothers and fathers. They are willing to give up everything to provide a better place for the next generation. I am thankful that I am married with children because if I wasn't I would already be there alongside them.

Assad needs to go.

FREE SYRIA...

I get the whole freedom from a dictator thing but calling it a jahid just doesnt seem to sit well with any other country around the world because anytime someone hears the word "Jahid" they tend to asociate it with Al qaeda.

I believe most of the country is Sunni right? the US has stated that they would support their fight for freedom as long as it was peaceful. thats a joke when you have someone like Assad who imo is no different then Qaddafi. the US support for the Syrians is strictly conditional.

I see the situation there as a lose lose situation for the Syrians unfortunately. peacefully they will never accomplish what they want. and I just dont see the US jumping into another middle eastern conflict again anytime soon.

an all out civil war is likely there very shortly I fear without international intervention which seems very unlikely. many more civilains will have to die before any international support which is pathetic.

Brett it is not a Jihad. A Jihad is a Holy War declared upon another by a holy man or cleric.
There is no such thing in Syria. It is a struggle for freedom from oppression.
The rest of your post I agree with. Many more will die before any outcome comes of it.
I watch these things in other countries on tv and usually try to distance myself mentally but this one is right at home for me because I have relatives directly involved.

fast foward to 2:45 seconds and the reporter states the crowd is shouting "Jahid" Holy War. it seemed strange to hear the reporter say that cause I just associate the Syrains with that at all. maybe I misunderstood what she said?

Maybe Israel should offer to help them take out Assad. After all, a friendly Syria might calm tensions down, and it would be a neighbor helping neighbor....

Brett you're right she does say that and many are saying it. It's jus that it really isn't. They of all people know what a Jihad is. This isnt it. If a top respected cleric came out and declared one against the Assad regime it would be. Maybe it has already happened? I don't know?

I feel like hopping a plane to Cyprus and taking the ferry over and.......well I don't know, but my blood is boiling and I feel really helpless. What do you tell a scared relative with his laptop on the floor skyping to the sound of battle in background? Don't worry it'll be ok?

I don't care what it's called by the crowd, there is no "holy" component here, it's about an oppressed people rising up from an awful tyrant. People wanting some level of peace and freedom so they may live their lives.

Maybe Israel should offer to help them take out Assad. After all, a friendly Syria might calm tensions down, and it would be a neighbor helping neighbor....

Keith it would be a massively kind gesture BUT unfortunately I don't think you'd find a single Syrian no matter how desperate who would accept a helping Israeli hand. Just too much bad history between the two.
Why not a simple assassination mission? The UN and us talk about 'military options' and all that so why not just a simple secret mission to take out the top five to ten guys? Could easily be done.

Keith it would be a massively kind gesture BUT unfortunately I don't think you'd find a single Syrian no matter how desperate who would accept a helping Israeli hand. Just too much bad history between the two.
that is very true considering only about 10% of syria is christian. too much bad blood and once again religion seems to get in the way which seems to be the common thread between all middle eastern countries which is why instability in the middle east has been going on for thousands of years unfortunately.

Italy and Germany get about 30% of their oil from Syria. why are they not getting involved? why is it the US that has to be the peace maker around the world always. pathetic.

Why not a simple assassination mission? The UN and us talk about 'military options' and all that so why not just a simple secret mission to take out the top five to ten guys? Could easily be done.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"...I knew when I typed it Saiid it was out of the question. But is food for thought...

Wonder if they will kick out Hezbollah when they kick out Assad...or if Hezbollah takes over...swapping one dictator for another..?

or, did I get that wrong Saiid. Syria is Sunni, Hezbollah/Iran is Shia?

Either way, I think the US is hesitant because it might mean teaming up with someone just as bad as Assad to get rid of him and we won't do it.

The answer: French Foreign Legion

Reading these two statements and realizing that officially the USA is not in the business of assassinating foreign leaders, who else besides the US and Israel do you think would pull off such a thing? The Brits (SAS) the Germans maybe? I guess there's teams around the world that *could* do it but very quickly the US will be the one everyone suspects to pull something off. Its not good business so I'm sure somewhere along the way someone said "now look, no one go killing that idiot". I guess the mossad could do it as a helping hand but the USA will still get the black eye unless someone in Israel stands up and says "we did it, we killed him, screw you all" :laugh:

The latest stuff on the new sites say that the Russians met with the Syrian leader and he expects things to transition in the next week or two to his deputy. I will believe it when I see it but I suspect entirely too many people will die along the way. The USA is not in a position to engage in Syria with Iran already as hot as they are, we could not fight a war with both countries at the same time the way we have to fight today (on TV) and win. Nothing good comes from the US military engaging at any level in Syria with the existing state of affairs in that region. We should continue to support the Arab League and let them do the heavy lifting to help the issues in Syria. Just my 2c.

If you could get over there, do you think you can get your family on the ferry with you back to Cyprus? At least they could be safe until things are sorted out :please:

Reading these two statements and realizing that officially the USA is not in the business of assassinating foreign leaders, who else besides the US and Israel do you think would pull off such a thing? The Brits (SAS) the Germans maybe? I guess there's teams around the world that *could* do it but very quickly the US will be the one everyone suspects to pull something off. Its not good business so I'm sure somewhere along the way someone said "now look, no one go killing that idiot". I guess the mossad could do it as a helping hand but the USA will still get the black eye unless someone in Israel stands up and says "we did it, we killed him, screw you all" :laugh:

The latest stuff on the new sites say that the Russians met with the Syrian leader and he expects things to transition in the next week or two to his deputy. I will believe it when I see it but I suspect entirely too many people will die along the way. The USA is not in a position to engage in Syria with Iran already as hot as they are, we could not fight a war with both countries at the same time the way we have to fight today (on TV) and win. Nothing good comes from the US military engaging at any level in Syria with the existing state of affairs in that region. We should continue to support the Arab League and let them do the heavy lifting to help the issues in Syria. Just my 2c.

If you could get over there, do you think you can get your family on the ferry with you back to Cyprus? At least they could be safe until things are sorted out :please:

Zuk USA is not in business of assassinating folks but we both know it's been done before.
C'mon a lil poison in his coffee and he has a heart attack. Doesn't even have to look like anything else other than a horrible twist of fate. If our govt really wanted it done it would be.

As an American with passport I could go to Cyprus and get a visa to Lebanon. After that it would be easy to slip into Syria. My family and relatives over there with Syrian passports are more so trapped. Difficult for them to leave and honestly not a single one wants to or would. They are all proud people and would not leave their country in its time of need same as you or I would do here.

Bad situation Saiid, I feel for you and your relatives. I honestly think your best bet is to remain at home, your immediate family is in far greater need of you than the noble cause you desire to help. Point blank: you could lose your life if you return there, and while the desire to sacrifice everything is to be admired, I feel it would be a mistake to take that risk.
Just my opinion brother, take it for what it's worth....

The U.S./U.N. will get involved in this eventually, for business rather than humanitarian reasons. They cannot risk de-stabilization of the region any further, and under no circumstances will they allow Iran to gain a greater foothold than they already possess. It's just a matter of how many Syrians they will allow to die before they figure out who they want to back.

Finally, the difference between freedom fighters and terrorists is which side wins the war. Don't forget the U.S. armed the taliban in the 80's as freedom fighters against the soviets, then had the same weapons used against them by the terrorists (same exact people, ideology and location) 20 years later. I'm not by any means saying that those fighting Assad's regime aren't fighting for their freedom from a dictatorship, just pointing out how quickly feelings can change.

Mr Brown my wish to go there is but a silly whim. Had I stayed there an never left when we lived there long ago the story would for sure be different.

As you sit at home comfortably please think about the patriots who are dying in Homs as I write this.
Since I last posted here my step mothers sisters family who lives in Homs was tossed out of her house by opposition fighters. They gave them no warning no personal items just came in and tossed them into the street during war so the home could be used to fight from. My father and step mom have not spoken to them in a few days. My cousin who is still there only has limited access to the outside world. I pray for his strength and safety.

Assad must go. For the ones who resist him and for you my family, your cause is just, stay strong God be with you.

Allahu Akbar, Subhan Allah, Al-hamdu Lillah,
La ilaha illa-llah

Allah is the Greatest, Glory be to Allah, Praise be to Allah,
There is no god but Allah

Free Syria

Back